USB & external drives not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajesh Soni

Right off the assembly line
I have connected Laptop in my office network due to some urgent work. As a security reason our office LAN automatically disconnect the USB & external ports. But after coming home, I found that my laptop are not showing any of USB PEN DRIVE etc... (still disable)even in my personal login to Windows ( not on LAN).
Is their any way out to overcome above problem, because I am not able to accsess all my data's of external hard disks?

mrintech

Technomancer
Plug in the drive
Right click MyComputer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager.
Have a look at the USB entries. Are there any Yellow splats?
If there are, right click on the drive/Properties and check all the pages for error messages.

Do you have SP2?

Shut down the machine and also switch it off at the mains socket. Leave it for a little while.
Disconnect the power cord and take out the battery.

Try changing the drive letter
Connect the drive
Right click My Computer/Manage
Click “Disk Management” in the left pane
Right click the Drive/Change drive letter
Click “Change”
Change the letter to “Z” or something else which is far away from all other drive letters

Remove all USB drivers from Device Manager, reboot and let them reinstall
1 Be sure all USB devices are unplugged

2 Go into Device Manager and expand the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" group.

3 Uninstall every device listed under this group (right click on device, left click uninstall)

4. Restart Computer

5. Upon restart the computer will recognize all the devices and install them.

6. Plug in the device and see if it works.

OP
R

Rajesh Soni

Right off the assembly line
Dear,

Thanks for reply.

I found that only USB Drives (jump/flash/external/etc.) are not working on USB ports, other things like mice etc... are working perfectly.
On connecting USB drive the we can see the USB drive in Disk drive (in Device Manager), but the in Storage volumes Generic volume is showing yellow mark, which is not resetting even on uninstalling/ installing.

I am using Windos XP SP3. Is the antivirus can disable this? Their is Symantec ANTIVIRIUS has instaaled in my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom