USB 3.0 HUB : How far can it go?

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
I have 3 ext hdd 5tb.4tb,4tb , wireless mouse dongle, bluetooth dongle, webcam. RGB mousepad.. the list might get expanded in future.

So need a 7 or 10 port USB3.0 HUB. Qn is

1) TP-Link TL-UH700 7-Port USB Hub....does it support 5 tb ext hdd? if not, then which hub can do that?
2) the fast charge ports are for charging mobile only or it can be used as a port for pendrives also?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Better to look for Thunderbolt 3 enabled USB-C hubs instead. They are supposed to handle multiple devices and protocols all at once which is beyond what USB 3.0 can do. Of course, you'd need that port either in your mobo or via a PCIe add-in card.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Avoid connecting such large capacity hdd all at once to a usb hub, never forget the fact that hdd are very delicate booth physically & electrically.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
2 usb 3.0 found at the back of motherboard and 4 more found on the Acer Nitro 27"...so can easily hook 4 ext hdd in that. Rest can be hooked up in the hub.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
2 usb 3.0 found at the back of motherboard and 4 more found on the Acer Nitro 27"...so can easily hook 4 ext hdd in that. Rest can be hooked up in the hub.
Try not to use any larger hdd than 2TB with usb hub & get only external powered usb hub(these come with separate power adapter) & always use the power adapter to power these hub(they can work without adapter too) when connecting hdd.

I use my Anker USB 3.0 hub for KB, mouse & connecting 1 storage. Do remember that total bandwidth & power output of the hub will remain same as that of a single USB 3.0 port, so its not recommended to connect multiple ext HDDs. Thunderbolt 3 is great for such situations as its bandwidth is up to 40Gbps vs 5/10Gbps of USB 3.0/3.1.

But, if you buy a hub which has a power adapter included, then you can connect multiple ext HDDs, but speeds will be low while accessing multiple storages at the same time. But based on your requirement, this is an option to keep everything accessible:
Amazon.in: Buy TP-Link TL-UH700 7-Port USB Hub (Black) Online at Low Prices in India | TP-Link Reviews & Ratings

Good quality hubs are expensive though, my Anker one costed me 500 whereas other cheap 4 port hubs are like 200-300.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
Bought TL-UH700 from Amazon @1749/-.(previously around 1900/-)
Out of box i got a power cable and a usb cable along with the HUB
Power cord length is quite good(around a meter) but USB cable is a bit short. So one needs to place it calculatingly.
The 3 ports on the right with 1.5A for mobile charge charges my my 4000 mah 7 years old battery though i do not have calculated the time difference between a wall socket and this hub socket.
And then i hooked up the 5 tb and 4 tb HDD and voila.... both get detected and i run a video , open documents and images with the same speed as from the mobo port.
But the TPLINK bluetooth dongle seems to be slow while receiving a pic from mobile. I stop the transfer and insert it in cabinet front panel usb 2.0 and the transfer speeds up like normal.(is it for usb version?) Overall good looking, good performance but lag is unavailability of individual switch for each of the 7 ports. Also there is no mounting mechanism for the hub.

mitraark

Decrepit
I bought the TP-Link UH700 for Rs 1594 last week. I have it connected to the 3.1 USB Port on my motherboard.

It has 3 HDDs connected to it, + 1 Mouse + 1 KB + 1 Wireless Mouse Receiver. All working great.

I think the USB Cable has been kept short purposefully. Longer cables in may cases have shown to cause data loss, non detectition of devices, low power output. Theres a youtube video where a guy purchases an extension cable from AmazonBasics for the UH700 and it doesnt work .

Top Bottom