Urget Help - Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

premsharma

In the zone
which one is better:

Viewsonic 2130 wm 19" wide TFT with 5 milisecond & DVI input at Rs 15000

or

Samsung 940 BW 19" wide TFT with 4 milisecond at Rs 14200 [not sure of DVI input].

I am based at Agra and if I have buy viewsonic, I have to buy from Mumbai & it will come by courier [will it be safe through courier?] and I dont think it has any service center at Agra. Other one is [samsung] is available here locally nad also has service center.

Anyway, existence of service center do not intrest me much as I am defence officer and keep moving on postings. I will be moving out to Silligudi side in Apr 2007.

Can someone help me firm up my buying decision by virtue of their experince on these monitors.

Tech Geek

Wise Old Owl
second one is better
better get the monitor from the place you live
in case it gets spoilt it can be repaired or exchanged from whereever you bought

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
premsharma said:
which one is better:

Viewsonic 2130 wm 19" wide TFT with 5 milisecond & DVI input at Rs 15000

or

Samsung 940 BW 19" wide TFT with 4 milisecond at Rs 14200 [not sure of DVI input].

I am based at Agra and if I have buy viewsonic, I have to buy from Mumbai & it will come by courier [will it be safe through courier?] and I dont think it has any service center at Agra. Other one is [samsung] is available here locally nad also has service center.

Anyway, existence of service center do not intrest me much as I am defence officer and keep moving on postings. I will be moving out to Silligudi side in Apr 2007.

Can someone help me firm up my buying decision by virtue of their experince on these monitors.

I am using samsung and its a beauty, general search also suggests that samsung wins by a margin, and BTW 940BW does have a DVI output, plus 940BW is HDCP compatible which viewsonic is not.

OP
premsharma

premsharma

In the zone
Thank you very much sam9s. Yor reply negates my fears. I could see in you signature, that you have this model and sooner or later you will advise. But you said somehwere that it is not out of the box and needs lot of configuration. I think it should be DVI input nad not output. Your advise has helped me firm up my decision.

2maro, itself I will buy. It is quoted here at Agra at Rs 14200, though it may be cheaper at Rs 13800 at Delhi.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
premsharma said:
Thank you very much sam9s. Yor reply negates my fears. I could see in you signature, that you have this model and sooner or later you will advise. But you said somehwere that it is not out of the box and needs lot of configuration. I think it should be DVI input nad not output. Your advise has helped me firm up my decision.

2maro, itself I will buy. It is quoted here at Agra at Rs 14200, though it may be cheaper at Rs 13800 at Delhi.

oops sorry I ment DVI input, DVI output makes no logic, and yes I did say its not out of the box experience (In "post what you purchase" thread). This is because I have to configure the brightness, gamma, Hue, tint, sharpness etc a lot both on the card and monitor properties to get the desired result, but once you achive your combination its amazing. The monitor is way too bright on avg settings,I have to keep it at 20-22 on a scale of 100 to spare my eyes. You can save the settings as well in a seperate file so that they are not lost even when you formatt the drive and have to reinstall the display drivers.

Max refresh rate is 75Hz. I am not sure what you mean by freq. Tell me where to look and I can give you the idea.

Lets have some examples of those problems. For me its so far so good.

Last edited:

shantanu

Technomancer
SAMsung gives dots or flickers after some times REMEMBER THAT DOTS ARE NOT ONLY CREATED BY RASH USAGE THEY ARE also CREATED IF THE SCREEN QUALITY IS BAD AND FLICKERS ARE ALSO CAUSED BY INTERNAL MECHANISM ERRORanD somE DISCOLORATION CASES ALsO I HAD so if you didnt had problem then its not necessary that all samsungs are good and if i am having problem also not means that all are bad buT BADS ARE MORE THEN GOODS in these cases

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
shantanu_webmaster said:
SAMsung gives dots or flickers after some times REMEMBER THAT DOTS ARE NOT ONLY CREATED BY RASH USAGE THEY ARE also CREATED IF THE SCREEN QUALITY IS BAD AND FLICKERS ARE ALSO CAUSED BY INTERNAL MECHANISM ERRORanD somE DISCOLORATION CASES ALsO I HAD so if you didnt had problem then its not necessary that all samsungs are good and if i am having problem also not means that all are bad buT BADS ARE MORE THEN GOODS in these cases

Flickring was an old old ploblems in LCDs. Not anymore. Viewing angle has improved drastically. The only "problem" as you might say could be of Dead Pixels or Ghosting while playing games. For dead pixels you can encounted 1 or 2 in every 3rd-4th LCD irrespective of the make, but that is negligible. Always better to test it then and there at the showroom before catching the deal. As far as ghosting I haven not encountered any ghosting on any games played. Even ran a test to confirm with a positive result.

You can follow this link for a comprihensive discuession on 940BW and you will have a fair idea about the product.

*www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1067655&page=2

Last edited:
OP
premsharma

premsharma

In the zone
sam9s said:
You can follow this link for a comprihensive discuession on 940BW and you will have a fair idea about the product.

How about dead pixels in your TFT. The discussion in the above thread is ok and helpful for samsung fans but at the same time it has increased my worries. people here are talking about changing there TFTs if they find dead pixels. Who will change in India? Thread also reveals that the response time quoted of 4ms is GTG [grey to grey], which is not real. The real should be BWB [black white black. Infact no company is declaring true response time. How to know, what is the true response time of TFT you rae going to buy. Thinking that you bought 4ms TFT, actually you end up buying 8ms one.

Recently they were struggling to reduce the response time below 8ms and now suddenly you find flurry of monitors claiming to be even 2ms. I don't thisk this they have invented overnight but only found a way out deliberately to trick and quote lower response time. From, where ever you see, it is finally cheating to customers.

As backlight bleeding, all LCD's do it to some degree. The current trend on newer LCD's is a bit of bleeding at the extreme upper/lower edges. Corners seem fairly clean for the most part. The Samsung is decent.

Thank you, thread was helpful to know namy more intricacies of a TFT. It is really not easy to decide. The more deep I go into, the more confused i will be about these TFTs. Better, go like a layman & buy and resign to fate.

Thank you all ... for precious advise on TFTs

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
premsharma said:
How about dead pixels in your TFT. The discussion in the above thread is ok and helpful for samsung fans but at the same time it has increased my worries. people here are talking about changing there TFTs if they find dead pixels. Who will change in India? Thread also reveals that the response time quoted of 4ms is GTG [grey to grey], which is not real. The real should be BWB [black white black. Infact no company is declaring true response time. How to know, what is the true response time of TFT you rae going to buy. Thinking that you bought 4ms TFT, actually you end up buying 8ms one.

Recently they were struggling to reduce the response time below 8ms and now suddenly you find flurry of monitors claiming to be even 2ms. I don't thisk this they have invented overnight but only found a way out deliberately to trick and quote lower response time. From, where ever you see, it is finally cheating to customers.

As backlight bleeding, all LCD's do it to some degree. The current trend on newer LCD's is a bit of bleeding at the extreme upper/lower edges. Corners seem fairly clean for the most part. The Samsung is decent.

Thank you, thread was helpful to know namy more intricacies of a TFT. It is really not easy to decide. The more deep I go into, the more confused i will be about these TFTs. Better, go like a layman & buy and resign to fate.

Thank you all ... for precious advise on TFTs

Ok as far as I know Samsung does offer replacements if substantial amount of dead pixels are found. You wont even find one or two casually. You need to look hard enoughif there are any. However if dead pixels keep on growing, you can ask for a replacement. I made sure before bying that my LCD has none and I advice the same.
Coming to the response time. 4ms.......yea is GTG but even 8ms response time is good enough. I have played PREY and I am playing FARCRY and I cannot find any lag how so ever small it is. So practically speaking what ever the actual response time is, its not creating any issues even in any fast paced high end games. No ghosting what so ever as well.
Coming to backlight bleeding, as you said yes its there at extreme angles aroung 150,160 but whos gonna work at that angel. You are safe here.

Overall its a worth hardware. The only problem as I said was an unadjustable monitor stand (I am not satisfied with the height) and not an out of the box experience. You need to configure a lot to finally get the result, but once there its definately worth.

OP
premsharma

premsharma

In the zone
sam9s said:
Ok as far as I know Samsung does offer replacements if substantial amount of dead pixels are found. You wont even find one or two casually. You need to look hard enoughif there are any. However if dead pixels keep on growing, you can ask for a replacement. I made sure before bying that my LCD has none and I advice the same.

How did you made sure that it do not have any dead pixels? I mean I have All In One - TFT Tools software, which includes a tool to check if any dead pixel. Who will allow me to do this? My vendor here has I think only one piece that too box packed. He even don't know, what is response time, leave alone whether it is true or false.

What is substantial amount of dead pixels, I mean on what numer, I am authorise to ask for replacement. I am not going to find with nacked eyes. I will use dead pixel detector software, all truth comes out. I have been providing the service of detecting dead pixels to people here, so companies are already annoyed with me. Here mostly LG & Acer are what vendors forcing their customers to buy. These two have sufficient number of dead pixels. This thing customers are getting checked after they buy and once they started spotting on screens. But they can't get it replaced. I have not tested any Samsung or Viewsonic so far and hence this thread here.

Discussion here with you and other members has been fruitful to understand intricaties of TFT.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
premsharma said:
How did you made sure that it do not have any dead pixels? I mean I have All In One - TFT Tools software, which includes a tool to check if any dead pixel. Who will allow me to do this? My vendor here has I think only one piece that too box packed. He even don't know, what is response time, leave alone whether it is true or false.

What is substantial amount of dead pixels, I mean on what numer, I am authorise to ask for replacement. I am not going to find with nacked eyes. I will use dead pixel detector software, all truth comes out. I have been providing the service of detecting dead pixels to people here, so companies are already annoyed with me. Here mostly LG & Acer are what vendors forcing their customers to buy. These two have sufficient number of dead pixels. This thing customers are getting checked after they buy and once they started spotting on screens. But they can't get it replaced. I have not tested any Samsung or Viewsonic so far and hence this thread here.

Discussion here with you and other members has been fruitful to understand intricaties of TFT.

Well for dead pixels I do not use any software. For me its simple, put a milk white background on you LCD, increase you contrast to max, brightness to the extent that screen does not look smokie. Then start looking for small black dots. If its in the center you will spot it then and there and thats your dead pixel. Then look for corners covering the entire monitor. You cannot detect ghosting with a naked eye and for that you need a tool. Dead pixels can very well be spoted with naked eye. You just need to look hard. If there are 10-15 they are easily detectable, and that figure is sufficiend for a replacement. Why dont you call samsung and ask about their policy of replacement in case of dead pixels. I felt no need to call them coz my vender is my trusted one for the past 10 Years and he would anyhow take back my monitor if I face any such issue.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
I am also looking for a lcd monitor..............I was also going for 940BW but some suggested that since I work with MAYA & Photoshop I should go with Viewsonic VX2025wm 20.1" as it has P-MVA panel whereas the Samsung has TN panel.
Don't understand much about TN or other panel thingy but after searching came to P-MVA produces better and acurate colors than TN panel. The price for Viewsonic was qouted at 20k.
Still haven't decided but lets see.

OP
premsharma

premsharma

In the zone
john_the_ultimate said:
I am also looking for a lcd monitor..............I was also going for 940BW but some suggested that since I work with MAYA & Photoshop I should go with Viewsonic VX2025wm 20.1" as it has P-MVA panel whereas the Samsung has TN panel.
Don't understand much about TN or other panel thingy but after searching came to P-MVA produces better and acurate colors than TN panel. The price for Viewsonic was qouted at 20k.

Here is link which sam9s gave me and was useful, though I am yet to decide between Viewsonic & Samsung

TN and P-MVA things are coverd here but nothing really on viewsonic. Be aware of the big claims by companies. A third party review can only tell abouts these cliams of DCHP & P-MVA features, whether they are effective or just marketing gimmicks to beat one another.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
john_the_ultimate said:

If you are in to serious Image editing using Photoshop, MAYA or 3D Studio max probably I wont recomend an LCD anyhow. Go for CRT, CRT offers much better image color clarity with depth. Although modern LCDs are much improved in both areas, CRTs are still better suited to graphics professionals or those that require exacting color consistency that does not change hue with viewing angle. Video editors, game developers or anyone that works with fast moving images in a professional capacity might also prefer CRTs

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
sam9s said:
If you are in to serious Image editing using Photoshop, MAYA or 3D Studio max probably I wont recomend an LCD anyhow. CRTs are still better suited to graphics professionals or those that require exacting color consistency that does not change hue with viewing angle.
Not many people know that the graphic applicating require calibrated monitors & most CRT which u buy have defult color temperature set at 9300°K & if you need to calibrate these at recommended 6500°K they fail badly, most wont calibrate & show bad results in calibration.

ON LCD the default is 6500°K & dont require much color calibration, u just need to adjust contrast/brightness. A known fact of calibration is more u shift from native white point more problems u will have in color.

Compare any good 10-15K CRT with a modern LCD at its default setting & CRT wont stand in line when compared for results. I just bought today samsung 940BW though will not be able to use it till tomorrow.

dead pixel buddy
*www.laptopshowcase.co.uk/downloads.php?id=1

passmark monitor test (trial works for a month)
www.passmark.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom