Urgent System Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrut_Xen

Broken In
I have a Toshiba Staellite A100 Laptop....Intel Core 2 Duo 1.6ghz,512mb SDRAM,and Ati x1300 Gfx Card.The problem is recently i ran an unknown application and since then a program called svshost.exe keeps running in the background.It grealty uses the system Resource and SLOWS DOWN MY LAPTOP to the extent that it crashes.The Cpu ussage is always 100%.When i try to terminate this service it gives an ACCESS DENIED error:mad: .I tried using system restore but its not working.I even tried to kill c:\windows\svshost.exe but its again not working.I used Registry Repair Wizard 2007 to repair my registry but the problem is still not solved.Please guys help me how to Stop this application svshost.exe...its really slowing down my Laptop:( .
psst:I also noticed that this application tired to gain access of the internet...i first allowed but the internet was PAINFULLY slow(i use Dial up) so i denied later.Also another application named windowhostservice.exe runs in the background when i am connected to the internet.Please guys Help me out....:cry:

OP
Shrut_Xen

Shrut_Xen

Broken In
Yes...i had a full system scan with both Norton and Windows Defender...but it didn't detected a single virus or spyware or a trojan...:cry:...

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
Process File: svshost.exe or svshost
Process Name: Worm.P2P.Spybot.gen virus

*securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.esbot.removal.tool.html

Last edited:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Follow following steps:
1)Then turn off the System Restore:
Start-> right click on Mycomputer ->Properties -> System restore -> select the box ' Turn off system restore ' and press Apply, then exit.
(Remember to turn it on - i.e. deselect that box - again after cleaning the
system!!)

2)Next start the computer in the Safe mode (F8 during boot-up),
3)Go to your profile temporary folders (usually C:\Documents and
Settings\username\local settings\temp and c:\Documents and
Settings\username\local settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5) and
delete all the files in those directories and subdirectories.
4)Then do a full system scan with one good updated antivirus and any two good updated anti spyeare.

You can do some online scan also.For online scan find some very useful sites from here.
Online Scan
Also always keep your windows updated
*www.windowsupdate.com

OP
Shrut_Xen

Shrut_Xen

Broken In
@ravi:Tried again....i used Norton AntiVirus 2007,Windows Defender and Spybot Search and Destroy but o no avail.I tried to FORCE KILL the svshost file.....but it keeps pooping up:mad: again and again....please any OTHER means or methods left other than a Reinstall of Xp:cry:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
^^^^^^^^^Try some online scan.Norton is crap,it do nothing but eat system resource.Some online sites are listed above in my post.

abhijangda

Padawan
My friend, I want to tell you that svchost.exe is an important application and is required to maintain the stability of windows. If it uses 100% system resources then there is a virus in your computer. Downlaod a good antivirus like Quick Heal from www.quickheal.com or Avast from www.avast.com (I will recommend Quick Heal). Install and run quick heal. Download it's definition mannualy from www.quickheal.com. Extract it. Then u will find 4 or 5 files dailyup.dat,index.bin, index.dat, we? and one more. Run quick update. Then pres next. Select pick from specified location. Then go to the folder in which you have extracted the file. Click on index.dat not index.bin. Then press ok amd then next. I recommend quick heal because it has monthly and weekly update. Then disable system restore. Restart your windows in safe mode and then do a full system scan. Your problem must be solved.

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
lalam said:
:D I even got confused too for a minute i thought i was infected myself :D

LOL

i remeber it coz same mistake has been done by a very reputed person on this forum some time ago:D

i read his posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom