[Urgent] MS Office Licence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hi Guys,

One of my close friend called me today. He is working in a Non Profit Organization as a Computer Trainer/Other official matters in a city called Dharwad in Karnataka. I dont have much details regarding his office but I know a little. They select students who are talented but cannot afford a computer/Higher studies. They train them and make them "Computer Job Fit" so that they can start a carrier in Computers.

They give basic computer training ( I dont think they dont charge -- Will confirm that tomorrow ). Now the problem is they have 10 refurbished computers which was donated by a MNC ( I dont want to reviel the company ) . The systems run Genuine XP, but the problem is It doesnt have MS Office installed. Now most of the budget he had was spent on Infrastructure and other expenses which is incured while setting up a new office. Now they have to train them on MS Office .... My first reply. Use Open Office 2.2 and he is also using it for more than 2 yrs . But the problem is he cannot train the prople on Open Office because of his higher authorities says they have to train them only on MS Office!!.

Ok now lets see how much it costs for Office 2007 Pro -- something arround 17K (Pls correct me if im wrong) -- so 17000*10 Comps = Rs. 1 Lac 70 Thousand.

Office 2003 ... May be available for 10K Microsoft sells it no more.. And support will also go soon. Thats Rs. 1 Lac.

Office 2000 ... I think no one sells it. MS doesnt provide support.

With the companies budget running out .. how can they afford such a huge price tag?

Now my friend asked me .. If Office 2000 is obsolete... can they install Pirated version of it and not getinto trouble. or is there any loophole in EULA of Office 2000 .

Or can Microsoft provide Free copies of MS Office 2007 if he can show what they are trying to do(Non Profit) or atleast at reduced price. I know MVP's get free copies of software from MS but I dont know if MS Office is included. If yes can the licence be transfered to them?

Guys I know there are few MVP's in here. Can you suggest something.

Request:please donot start OS war here. This is something very important. He has to do what his higher authorities say.

Please note this is for a organization which is trying to help under previlaged students who cannot afford higher studies. If possible I will ask my friend sanjay to join this forum :) .

Thanks
Charan

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
no! u can't pirate office 2000 in any case. however, u check if u can get the student/teacher edition of ms office. it includes only the commonly used apps (like word, excel, powerpoint). contact ms for this.

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I think student edition can be installed. In this matter, contact the Microsoft people and I am sure they may consider your case sympathetically.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Why can't your friend reason it out with his seniors? If they are just giving basic training, Oo.org will suffice very much. Tell him to demo it to his seniors. Or ask the seniors to pay up more money to buy such costly office suites.
Also, I guess MS should give discount for non-profit organisations. Ask your friend to find some way to contact concerned authorities and get into some talk.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
just call microsoft sales department in India and ask them to send over a representative if possible. That would be much better, and if you they are really convinced that you are doing something worthwhile, they will give you a good deal. Microsoft is good in that thing (Advertising in any case, catch them while they are young.) But the concern of your authorities in genuine. You do need to get them trained in Microsoft Office and not Open Office.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ yes that true . Im trying to get in touch with my friend to inform about this.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Guys , My friend just called and informed me that Microsoft will be providing 50 Licences for free :D . He is still not sure about what will be included. And if he luck Microsoft may also provide PC too. Till now only this much information is available with me.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
be sure to read the fine print carefully. Especially with microsoft, there is no free lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom