Urgent help required to setup PC

anshulbans

Broken In
Hi guys, yesterday i bought this config.

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Gigabyte 880-GM-USB3
4(2*2GB) 1333MHz Corsair DDRIII RAM
PowerColor HD5850 1GB GDDR5
WD 7200.12 500 GB
LG 22x DVD writer
Samsung S2233SW

Now the problem i am facing is that, i didn't get the windows installed from the assembler and decided to do it myself. I will tell u in steps what i have done and what problem i am facing:
1) So when i tried to install ( WIndows 7 Ultimate 32bit) , i was first asked that if i wish to switch from SATA to AHCI (Don't what does this mean) i selected yes and continued with my installation.
2) But the installation didn't start so i restarted and entered BIOS and changed OnChip SATA Type to Native IDE from AHCI.
3) Now i proceeded with installation and it was successful.
4) Two things that i noticed was the installation was very slow as compared to when i do the same on my laptop. and secondly the system was quite unstable.
By unstable i mean:

i)Sometimes it hangs while booting at black or brown background.
ii)Sometimes my game just crashed to desktop with no reason.
iii)The extraction of game was unusual. The files were created and instantly destroyed. I can't explain. I would just say a 3 gb game was reduced to 680mb after installation and ofcourse it didn't work so what i had to do was to extract the game in my laptop and then copy the 5gb extracted files to the PC and the game ran.
iv) Now i am not being able to run my PC it just loads and hangs just before Welcome screen at the black background.
5)After this i have tried to change to all possible options in OnChip SATA Type i.e Native IDE , AHCI , RAID but none works.
6) Infact the last two mods don't even allow me to run a bootable disk. I can run a bootable disk only in the first mode.
So guys please help me. Please i am a noob in case of this stuff so please help guys i rely on u.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
1) So when i tried to install ( WIndows 7 Ultimate 32bit) , i was first asked that if i wish to switch from SATA to AHCI (Don't what does this mean) i selected yes and continued with my installation.

When you didn't know what it means, why did you select yes?

2) But the installation didn't start so i restarted and entered BIOS and changed OnChip SATA Type to Native IDE from AHCI.

What does that do?
I would suggest resetting the BIOS to default settings and reinstalling windows

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Hi guys, yesterday i bought this config.

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Gigabyte 880-GM-USB3
4(2*2GB) 1333MHz Corsair DDRIII RAM
PowerColor HD5850 1GB GDDR5
WD 7200.12 500 GB
LG 22x DVD writer
Samsung S2233SW
Well, you have messed up with the HDD controllers. AHCI means Advanced Host Controller Interface which is actually a programmable interface for Serial ATA (SATA) controllers. Now as in your BIOS options, there are three distinctive modes of selection which are IDE, AHCI and RAID. If you select the IDE mode, installation of Windows will proceed and everything else will work fine as they should but remember you'll be implementing an old restrictive architecture upon a new technology resulting noticeable speed loss. On the other hand, RAID is an excellent option if you have multiple HDDs which in this case you don't. Therefore, it's advisable to set the mode to AHCI first in BIOS and then proceed with a new Windows 7 installation after wiping the HDD clean.

I hope I succeeded in making the matter a little bit easier for you. Please reply after going through these steps.

OP
A

anshulbans

Broken In
Well, you have messed up with the HDD controllers. AHCI means Advanced Host Controller Interface which is actually a programmable interface for Serial ATA (SATA) controllers. Now as in your BIOS options, there are three distinctive modes of selection which are IDE, AHCI and RAID. If you select the IDE mode, installation of Windows will proceed and everything else will work fine as they should but remember you'll be implementing an old restrictive architecture upon a new technology resulting noticeable speed loss. On the other hand, RAID is an excellent option if you have multiple HDDs which in this case you don't. Therefore, it's advisable to set the mode to AHCI first in BIOS and then proceed with a new Windows 7 installation after wiping the HDD clean.

I hope I succeeded in making the matter a little bit easier for you. Please reply after going through these steps.

That was nice info man. Thanks a lot for that. But the problem is that i am not able to boot from the DVD ROM after i switch to AHCI mode.

Please reply soon.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
That was nice info man. Thanks a lot for that. But the problem is that i am not able to boot from the DVD ROM after i switch to AHCI mode.

Please reply soon.
What's the exact problem with DVD ROM drive? Is it failing to read the Windows 7 installation disk? Also confirm if the DVD drive is being identified in BIOS setup.

OP
A

anshulbans

Broken In
What's the exact problem with DVD ROM drive? Is it failing to read the Windows 7 installation disk? Also confirm if the DVD drive is being identified in BIOS setup.

dvd rom is detected in the bios. i have tried t change the ports and after the change i am able to boot from DVD after selecting AHCI mode and type IDE. The Windows 7 disc is read and and the loading files process occurs but after that the screen changes and freezes at a black screen with a vertical column like this:

H
H
H
H
H
H

on the extreme left of the screen and it just gets stuck there. I have tried to use Windows XP CD instead and after loading it gives me a blue screen error saying some hardware /software changes and blah blah...

Please help m8.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Latest update:

I ran the PC with Acronis Disk Director bootable disk. It shows me the error that Acronis hasn't found any hard disk drive. On the contrary the BIOS detects it. I think its some problem with the Hard Disk.

So guys tell me a way i can check this.

cygnus

Broken In
suggestion: maybe you could take pics using your camera or phone and upload it here so we can see what you see...

OP
A

anshulbans

Broken In
reinstalled all the wires....

thank god.. now the pc is starting although only in the safe mode. If i try to start the PC in normal mode it hangs just before the welcome screen. I have run HD Tune and found no errors in HD.
Please suggest something guys..

Before Welcome screen it gives the following error window titled:
LogonUI.exe - Application Error

• The instruction at 0x74f0586c referenced memory at 0x0fffffff. The memory could not be written.

Click on OK to terminate the program.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
1. Remove the PSU cord from the system.
2. Press the power on system on the cabinet for 3-4 seconds (will discharge all latent stored current).
3. Remove the CMOS battery for one minute.
4. Plug it back in.

This will reset the CMOS. See what happens.

Else do a hard format, and start the boot process from the bootable installation disk. Please do not mess with those sata/ahci settings. You should be fine. Good learning experience. Else let us know.

:)

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
reinstalled all the wires....

thank god.. now the pc is starting although only in the safe mode. If i try to start the PC in normal mode it hangs just before the welcome screen. I have run HD Tune and found no errors in HD.
Please suggest something guys..

Before Welcome screen it gives the following error window titled:
LogonUI.exe - Application Error

• The instruction at 0x74f0586c referenced memory at 0x0fffffff. The memory could not be written.

Click on OK to terminate the program.
Did you assemble the machine yourself? I want to know about the positioning of RAM modules in your motherboard. Since you have two same modules, they can be set up in dual channel mode. Different motherboards have different methods to do this. For example, Biostar boards support dual channel when RAM modules are inserted in 1st and 3rd slot while in my new MSI AMD board, they have to be inserted in first two consecutive slots otherwise the machine won't boot at all! Refer to your motherboard manual and confirm this.

I hope your DVD Drive is also a SATA one, instead of the older PATA (IDE) ones.

Asigh's instructions are also helpful if you want to start over the installation (which I strongly advise you to do).

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
His is an AMD chipset so the DIMMs would be next to each other. For Intel they need to alternate.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Guys I faced the problem also. Nothing to worry. Probably your DVD Writer is also in AHCI mode. Change it to IDE mode in BIOS. Do same for the HDD also. There will not be any problem and you will be able to boot from your DVD rom.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Guys I faced the problem also. Nothing to worry. Probably your DVD Writer is also in AHCI mode. Change it to IDE mode in BIOS. Do same for the HDD also. There will not be any problem and you will be able to boot from your DVD rom.
IDE mode is slower than AHCI mode.

Top Bottom