Urgent help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
I installed a new graphical greeter which was corrupted.When I boot into Fedora core 3 I get a message "the graphical greeter you installed is corrupt" and an ok button.how do I restore the graphical login screen to the default one ?

banned2wise

Broken In
Editing /etc/inittab and changing default run level to (gui mode) as 5 instead of 3(command mode) should help. There are totally 6 run levels, i know four outta them. Iam not sure though
runlevel 1 ===> Single user mode
runlevel 3 ===> text mode
runlevel 5 ===> GUI mode
runlevel 6 ===> restart.
runlevel 4 and 2 are unknown to me.

experts pls have a say.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
run gdmsetup from the console. You'll get and option to change gdm greeter theme.

If you are not able to even start GDM then login as root from the console and edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf

Then remove or comment these lines.
GraphicalTheme=gdm-tobacco_sky-nld-slack
GraphicalThemeDir=/usr/share/gdm/themes/

OP
vignesh

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
I did another way actually

pressed a while grub was booting and typed 3 so it booted into runlevel mode3 that is text mode ,logged in and typed startx and then changed the greeter.

OP
vignesh

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
How do I change the bootscreen(bootsplash screens).I downloaded 2 but the installation is only given for suse not fedora core 3.

To install:

1 extract to /etc/bootsplash/themes/
example: /etc/bootsplash/themes/susegreensplash

2 use Yast bootsplash theme changer-by mouseclicks: Yast>system>/etc/sysconfig Editor>system>boot>theme>type name of theme (susegreensplash)>finish

3 as superuser (root) type in terminal: mkinitrd -s 1024x768

... done ... reboot, and you will see the new bootsplash.

sba

Journeyman
How comfortable are you with compiling a new kernel? Also what Graphics Card do you have? If you have a decent card (>64MB) and know how to compile your own kernel then you can have a look at *www.bootsplash.org/

I have never been able to get bootsplash working (thats another place where my luck never favours me). It might work for you so try it out ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom