[Urgent] AMD driver problem

Niilesh

Padawan
Hey guys help me out I have a HP DV6 6121tx laptop(6770M).
The problem - I formatted and reinstalled Windows on the laptop and then i installed the Graphic drivers provided by HP. After finishing the installation it asked for a restart which i did but the laptop got stuck at the 'Starting windows' screen and after few min the screen got blank and the fan stated working at high speed and i think i saw a BSOD for 1 sec and then lappy restated(following the same loop).

PS: I also downloaded drivers from HP official website but they also didn't work :(

You should always download graphic driver from the gpu manufacturer's website; which in your case is amd. As you have already performed a reinstall of the os, there's no data to be lost. You should perform a clean installation of the os and get the graphic driver from amd's website.

OP
Niilesh

Niilesh

Padawan
I will Try that out but the thing is that the same driver that i am installing now has worked many times before(on the same Laptop of course)

Last edited:
OP
Niilesh

Niilesh

Padawan
Can you log into safe mode ?
No yes

You should always download graphic driver from the gpu manufacturer's website; which in your case is amd. As you have already performed a reinstall of the os, there's no data to be lost. You should perform a clean installation of the os and get the graphic driver from amd's website.
The AMD software that first checks for compatibility is reporting that the hardware is not compatible :/

Last edited:

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?

You cannot install driver in some laptops which you download from AMD's site. HP is one of them. You have to either stick with the company provided backdated driver or use third party custom drivers(leshcatlabs).

Hey guys help me out I have a HP DV6 6121tx laptop(6770M).
The problem - I formatted and reinstalled Windows on the laptop and then i installed the Graphic drivers provided by HP. After finishing the installation it asked for a restart which i did but the laptop got stuck at the 'Starting windows' screen and after few min the screen got blank and the fan stated working at high speed and i think i saw a BSOD for 1 sec and then lappy restated(following the same loop).

PS: I also downloaded drivers from HP official website but they also didn't work :(

Have you created Recovery Media after you purchased the laptop? I would recommend to install from the recovery media, but be carefull of the steps, it may perform a full format which will erase the entire HD.

If you have not and reinstalling OS from a Windows Disk, make sure you install all the other drivers prior to the Graphics Driver installation(Like Integrated Graphics drivers, cheapset driver etc). This can be found in HP's website.

OP
Niilesh

Niilesh

Padawan
You cannot install driver in some laptops which you download from AMD's site. HP is one of them. You have to either stick with the company provided backdated driver or use third party custom drivers(leshcatlabs).

Have you created Recovery Media after you purchased the laptop? I would recommend to install from the recovery media, but be carefull of the steps, it may perform a full format which will erase the entire HD.

If you have not and reinstalling OS from a Windows Disk, make sure you install all the other drivers prior to the Graphics Driver installation(Like Integrated Graphics drivers, cheapset driver etc). This can be found in HP's website.
The Recovery DVDs are in bad condition :( Installation gets stuck at 5% mark

the order never mattered before but tried that suggestion too but it also didn't work
Also I tried using Windows update to find and install driver automatically but it gave the save problem. Now I think it is most probably a hardware problem, i will get it checked at the service centre.

Hey, is there a way I can just use just HD 3000(without installing the drivers that are provided)?

Try system restore in Safe mode.
But that will not install the driver :) I formatted the system

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
You can use the lappy with the integrated graphics.

So try restarting your laptop after installing the OS, do not install any driver.

Then instal the other drivers and restart.

After that download and install the drivers from here leshcatlabs.net/
Follow the instruction carefully to install. Doesnot matter how pro you are in installing softwares, you have to read the guides carefully.

OP
Niilesh

Niilesh

Padawan
^ Hey should i try installing this first? - *downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22628&lang=eng

EDIT: It worked :hyper: Just hope DOTA 2 will work fine on lowest setting

Last edited:

aaruni

The Linux Guy
The fact is just opposite in case of laptops.

true. but in my case (HP Pavillion G6), it shipped with freeDOS, and all the drivers had to be downloaded from HP support. Here I found out a very interesting thing. If you first install the drivers from AMD site, then HP site (AMD site has up-to-date drivers), it doesn't work, but if you do the other way round, you actually see a performance gain. (v/s only hp drivers)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
HP works fine many times with AMD driver but OEM's like sony toshiba and one more I don't remember will straight away refuse to recognise the hardware if you try to install non proprietory drivers.

Top Bottom