UPS for low power devices(ADSL router, modem etc)

digit01

Right off the assembly line
Hello Digitians,

This is my first post and I'm glad and delighted to be part of this forum. I'll be an active and contributing member of it.

I'm in lookout for an UPS(Uninterrupted Power Supply) for my ADSL router.

I need an UPS that can run "Low power devices". Low power devices consume less than say 20 watts. Most UPSes found in the market do not support them. They simply power themselves off after certain amount of time(less than 5 mins), thinking there is nothing connected to it, to preserver battery power.

So, the first criteria is that even if the load is very low, the UPS should not turn off.

The second criteria is that there should be an option to turn off the annoying beeping sound. Even if I get an UPS that meet's the first criteria, I would not want it to keep beeping for the whole length of power cut(which in India can be as long as 2 hrs.. if everything is fine :) )

My ADSL router is rated 12V/1Amp. However is actually consumes much much less than that. A standard 600VA UPS should be able to run it for more than an hour.

Thank you all in advance and thank you giving me the opportunity to be part of it.

P.S: I did find "APC Back UPS BX600CI-IN 600VA" meeting my first criteria; Not sure about the second i.e. beeping part though.

icebags

Technomancer
get a 12 v bike / sealed lead acid battery and power ur router directly instead.

if u can get a 12 v regulator, then it's even better.

OP
D

digit01

get a 12 v bike / sealed lead acid battery and power ur router directly instead.

if u can get a 12 v regulator, then it's even better.

Thank you very much. That's an excellent proposition and makes immense economic sense. However with my young daughter and pet dog crawling and sniffing every inch of my house for adventure, I would rather stick with a ready made UPS. Responsible parents :-D

o.o how is the backup ? or doesnt require charging ?

And as far as backup time is concerned it will be same as an UPS i.e. more than an hour. 12V Battery chargers are readily available in electronic roadside shops. I found them aplenty online as well.

OP
D

digit01

Guys,

Tomorrow I'm going to check and review a very different kind of UPS.... Intex UPS-50(HERE). Today I physically checked the UPS but could not check it with my ADSL router. It fits my requirements exactly(no annoying beeps and NO "no load shutdown"). The UPS even has a socket where we can fit a bulb(the common type available).

The things that I mainly need to check is the transfer time. If this UPS can switch fast enough from Mains to UPS and vice-versa without disrupting my ADSL router data transfer and established connection, I'll be using it to power my ADSL router.

The UPS is 12 V, 7Ah... and my ADSL router consumption is approx 10 watts... so it can power my router for approx 8 hrs :hyper: :hyper:

Will let ya all know tomorrow. If it fails my test then I'll buy "APC Back UPS BX600CI-IN 600VA" which has option to disable "no load shutdown" but beeps every 40 seconds.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Why it is showing output volt as DC?

Output Voltage (AC. Mode) 200VDC
Output Voltage (Batt. Mode) 160-230 VDC ± 10%

These types of inverters are available in ebay. I have seen them local electronics stores also.

OP
D

digit01

Why it is showing output volt as DC?

Output Voltage (AC. Mode) 200VDC
Output Voltage (Batt. Mode) 160-230 VDC ± 10%

These types of inverters are available in ebay. I have seen them local electronics stores also.

Ask the document writer... LoL :-D .... Who cares now! Read the happy things below...

Guys,

Intex UPS-50 it is!!!!!! Bang on target for my requirement. I bought it today and absolutely happy with its performance. Switch-over is smooth and there is no connection drop while that happens.

It's only few hours that I've used it.... it will take me few days to comment on its backup. It should be able to provide 7+ hrs of it. However I'll never stress it that much. I'll maximum check for backup upto 2 hrs and check if it drops connection. BTW I've already fixed a CFL light in it and it look cooooool.

Intex UPS-50 Box.jpg
Intex UPS-50 in action with CFL bulb+ADSL router(not shown).jpg

Last edited:
OP
D

digit01

How much you paid for it?

I paid 2200. I know I paid little extra. Didn't feel like bargaining as I usually become too euphoric and ecstatic when buying an IT equipment :)

BTW there is another option, which I could not check due to non-availability.... Sukam Pico 100. However it is almost 800 rupee costlier and looks dud and out of fashion.

OP
D

digit01

attachments don't work here, use bbcode to embed images.

That's not true bro :fencing:. Pl check with another browser perhaps if that is the case. Worked with me every time, even from other system. To see attachments I just need to be logged in.

vishruthm

New to this forum
Your finding is extremely useful. I'm also looking for a UPS only for my wireless modem with no irritating beep sounds. Does the CFL have to be plugged in to act as additional load I.e will it work if I only connect my modem and no CFL?

OP
D

digit01

Yes it will work.... its not mandatory to connect any CFL/LED and create a fake load to stop it from tripping. It will work for many hours with only the modem connected. Bulb port is a bonus with this UPS.

Oh... BTW, I've already used this UPS for approx 6 months.... no issues whatsoever till now.

amsharma

Hi digit01, thanks for the detailed info on the intex ups 50. I have a question on connecting the modem to the ups. The specs mention the output as 220v dc. How did you convert it to give a 12v dc to your modem.
Thanks.

icebags

Technomancer
i guess this is what u were looking for, some diy stuff, but this is the ultimate low power 12V backup ups u can have for now. why ? everything explained here ..... :D

[MENTION=295957]digit01[/MENTION]

[YOUTUBE]-Ur-D37-juo[/YOUTUBE]

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi digit01, thanks for the detailed info on the intex ups 50. I have a question on connecting the modem to the ups. The specs mention the output as 220v dc. How did you convert it to give a 12v dc to your modem.
Thanks.

It is 220V ac. dc is wrongly mentioned. You can buy these types of ups from ebay.

amsharma

Thanks Guys.
[MENTION=44484]icebags[/MENTION], what did you post there. It is showing up as black. Is it a picture ?
[MENTION=17478]baiju[/MENTION], I have already bought the Intex UPS 50. However, when I connect the router adaptor to it. It red light (signifying output short circuit) glows.

Hence looking for more info on how to get it to work.

Connected a cfl and kept it switched on, got a backup of over 6 hrs.

Just need to figure out, how to use this with my router and modem.

amsharma

[MENTION=44484]icebags[/MENTION], I am now able to see the video that you pointed. Yes, that will probably be the next thing that I will do.

However since I have already bought the Intex UPS 50. I am interested in knowing, how are people using it directly. It did not work for me. I'd plug in the router adaptor and the UPS would trip.

Appreciate any help on this.

amsharma

[MENTION=44484]icebags[/MENTION], I am now able to see the video that you pointed. Yes, that will probably be the next thing that I will do.

However since I have already bought the Intex UPS 50. I am interested in knowing, how are people using it directly. It did not work for me. I'd plug in the router adaptor and the UPS would trip.

Appreciate any help on this.