Upgrading to Windows 8.1 Pro from 8.1 Core using Windows 8 Pro key

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Can I activate a Windows 8.1 Pro installation with a Windows 8 Pro key?

I am having Windows 8.1 Core installed and a Windows 8 pro key. I want to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro. I was just wondering if I could upgrade my Win8.1 Core to Win8.1 Pro using some *ahem* ISO and then activate it using the Win8 Pro (genuine) key I have.

If it is possible, Can the Win8 Pro key be used in Win8.1 Pro installation wizard itself? Or do I have to use a generic key and later activate it after installation?

Fresh Install is not an option as I don't want to lose all the programs I have installed and the customizations. Also, I don't want to Install Win8 Pro and then upgrade to Win8.1 Pro. That will be much longer process.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i don't think so.to upgrade win 8.1 core to 8.1 pro you need to enter 8.1 pro key.
Upgrading Windows 8.1 to 8.1 Pro fails with "This key won't work. Check it and try again, or try a different key" - Super User
Note: If you're running Windows 8, you must use a Windows 8 Pro product key and not a Windows 8.1 Pro product key. If you are running Windows 8.1, then you must use a Windows 8.1 Pro product key.

also your thread title is a bit misleading so editing it.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
i don't think so.to upgrade win 8.1 core to 8.1 pro you need to enter 8.1 pro key.
Upgrading Windows 8.1 to 8.1 Pro fails with "This key won't work. Check it and try again, or try a different key" - Super User

also your thread title is a bit misleading so editing it.

ok. Then, I will try to install Win8.1 Pro on VM and check if it gets activated or not. If it gets activated, I can upgrade Win8.1 core to Win8.1 pro using generic key and then activate it using the Win8 key. Will this work?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
as soon as you activate your win 8 pro key MS servers will know & when you try to use it a 2nd time you will get some error.also you can not upgrade 8.1 to 8.1 pro using some "generic key".You can use your win 8 pro key to activate a fresh install of win 8.1 pro but you can not use that key during install of win 8.1 pro.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
as soon as you activate your win 8 pro key MS servers will know & when you try to use it a 2nd time you will get some error.also you can not upgrade 8.1 to 8.1 pro using some "generic key".You can use your win 8 pro key to activate a fresh install of win 8.1 pro but you can not use that key during install of win 8.1 pro.

Can't I move the deactivate the license on VM and reuse on my machine? I thought that was possible.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
seems like you can upgrade 8.1 to 8.1 pro using 8.0 pro key but not sure(below mentioned key is win 8 pro upgrade key not the usual win 8 pro key),just try it as even if you fail it will not result in activation of your 8.0 pro key.
How do you transfer Windows 8 licence to a new machine - Microsoft Community
It finally occurred to me that what I needed to do was to was to use the "add features" option rather than the "change product key" option (obvious in hindsight). I told it I already had a product key when it asked, and then it took my Windows 8 Pro upgrade product key just fine (even though the new system was already at 8.1) and it installed new features to upgrade it from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 Pro.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
seems like you can upgrade 8.1 to 8.1 pro using 8.0 pro key but not sure(below mentioned key is win 8 pro upgrade key not the usual win 8 pro key),just try it as even if you fail it will not result in activation of your 8.0 pro key.
How do you transfer Windows 8 licence to a new machine - Microsoft Community

It doesn't work for me. Guess, I should get a Windows 8.1 Pro key or go through the hassle of downloading & installing Win8 Pro and then updating it to Win8.1 Pro. That's gonna take a couple of days to do a fresh install with my network connection.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
How to Perform a Clean Install of Windows 8.1 With a Windows 8 Key
just download & install win 8.1 pro & then change the key to your win 8 pro key(see update section).

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If you have anything to trade in steam (Anything at all), I can provide you with an original windows 8.1 pro key.. contact me if interested

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
If you have anything to trade in steam (Anything at all), I can provide you with an original windows 8.1 pro key.. contact me if interested

I have a Windows Server 2012 OS key (Standard, 64-bit) and willing to sell/trade it. But, that definitely isn't on Steam :p

Let me know if you are interested.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION] I tried the Windows 8 Pro key on a Windows 8.1 Pro installation (untouched ISO). It worked like a charm. Thanks. Repped you.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
did you use the method in the link i posted earlier?

Actually, My friend already had a untouched copy of Windows 8.1 Pro that he downloaded through Media Creation Tool. So, It's the same method that you posted except that I didn't download the ISO.

Top Bottom