Upgrading ram to 32 gb

quicky008

Technomancer
In light of the massive system requirements of recent games, i am planning to upgrade my ram to 32gb.

I already have 2 3000 mhz corsair ram modules of 8gb capacity,motherboard is Asus b365.

If i add a single 16gb 3000 mhz corsair ram stick, will it work properly with my existing 8gb modules in dual channel mode?

Or will dual channel not work unless i add two similar 8 gb modules to increase the capacity to 32 gb.

I am more inclined to get a single 16gb dimm as its a bit cheaper and will require just 1 additional ram slot.

Please advice.

mitraark

Decrepit
Buy the same 2x8GB sticks to get the benefit of dual channel.

btw are you actually feeling that the 16 GB RAM is falling short ? I had bought 32 GB of RAM a few years back but to be honest 16 GB still feels enough for almost all kinds of games. Some applications may require the additional RAM, but cost to benefit isn't that much.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer

btw are you actually feeling that the 16 GB RAM is falling short ? I had bought 32 GB of RAM a few years back but to be honest 16 GB still feels enough for almost all kinds of games. Some applications may require the additional RAM, but cost to benefit isn't that much.
i used to think the same but the humongous ram requirements of many recent titles like the last of us pc version have changed my views. The game routinely runs out of ram while running on pcs having 16gb or lesser memory which leads to crashing.Apparently this will be a common occurrence in many upcoming next gen titles as well.

I can personally vouch that poorly optimised games like Hogwarts & Last of Us needs 16+ GB RAM, even if you have other apps liek browser closed.

I got 32GB RAM when I built my PC last year because of convenience to keep multiple apps in background, now it is slowly becoming a necessity for mid-range gaming systems. Heck, for Last of Us I have to keep browser closed to save up on some VRAM.

Top Bottom