Upgrading ...Pls help with the config.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greypilgrim

Right off the assembly line
I am thinking of buying a new PC with a budget of aroung 30-35k next week. Went to Nehru place to check the prices.. I was thinking of the following config:

AMD 64 3200+
mobo - MSI RS480 ( Rs. 13100 for both)
2 * 512 DDR RAM 400MZ ( Transcend or kingston??) (about 2300-2400 each)
17" samsung (Rs. 5100)
160 GB seagate ( SATA or PATA ??) (rs. 3600-3700)
DVD writer 16X (Rs. 2900)
etc...

are the prices resonable?? and is the config good enough. I am a gaming enthusiast. So would be asking my cousin in US to get Nvidia 6800 GT or ATI X800..( both are too expensive in india)
Thanks in advance for helping.

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Your budget is good!

Processor is rite ..
but for MB take ASUS A8NE
2*512MB RAM is more than sufficient (Transcend or kingston both are good, make sure they are original)
17" samsung (Rs. 5100) - Get the FLAT monitor price Rs.6850
160 GB seagate ( SATA or PATA ??) = Oviously SATA

UPS must be APC .. current price Rs.2100

mohit

The Hardware Labs
your config is good but if u r planning to buy a separate grafix card then i think u shud go for the Asus A8N-E board but the problem is it has no onboard display and u will have to get the card from your cousin first ... Also do the following ,

:arrow: No use buying SATA buy Hitachi SATA II - almost the same price.

:arrow: Get Samsung 798MB 17" Flat Monitor (Magic Green) - priced around 7k but this is the best CRT monitor u can get .. dont go for a non flat monitor.

:arrow: DVD-RW go for Sony DRU-810A .. their latest n best model and its a rebadged Benq 1640 which is considered to be the best.

AlienTech

In the zone
You can always use an old PCI GFX card until you get the PCI-E one. I am happy with the MSI built in one. Now NVidia also has theirs? Not sure how good that is and can overclock up to 240MHZ? MSI is only 220 and 229special mode.

The Sony DVD does not come with the BENQ CD full of extra tools and things. Basically this lets you write @ 16X speeds on disks which can do it. With other writers you have to do this manually and here the manufacturer supports such things.

I have both Samsung monitors and I dont have a preference. The flat lets you see the screen from the sides while the ordinary one you have to sit right in front. Both seems to overclock to 120HZ @ 1280x1024 and basically the same except the flat has some extra modes you can adjust from the computer itself.

I dont like the Seagate SATA, my PATA Samsung is faster even though it has only 2MB cache. The Seagate seems to fall behind during load and makes weird screeching sounds. The Samsung seems much smoother... Even though load tests say the Seagate is slightly faster. The screeching makes my skin crawl and its like you really dont want to go to school today feeling.

I have a powercom UPS and its basically good.. The electricity goes out all the time in Baghdad and it was out for most of the day and I didn't even notice it once I turned off the beep beeping. Worked for 8 hours or so on battery until it came back in the evening... I like it for one it works upto 130V. All the other UPS go to battery mode as soon as the voltage drops to 190V. Even those which say other wise. Of course the battery costs 3 times as much as the USP :) I got a 120AH one installed on it instead of the puny 7AH that comes with it.

OP
G

Greypilgrim

Right off the assembly line
rollcage said:
160 GB seagate ( SATA or PATA ??) = Oviously SATA

I heard that SATA drives arent able to act as primary disks. So arent there problems while installing windows??

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Greypilgrim said:
I heard that SATA drives arent able to act as primary disks. So arent there problems while installing windows??

No .. There is no problem with me on installing or running Windows_XP(SP2)

If your budget allow take .... Sata-II; just check the price

Status
Not open for further replies.