Upgrading PC or Assembling All in One PC

Charley

Just Do It
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
It will be used for basic things like heavy browsing for 5 hours minimum,, watching videos, doing ms office spreadsheets, image editing, transferring videos from DVD to hdd.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Rs. 40,000

3. Planning to overclock?
Not sure what it is

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Windows 10

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
1 TB or more HDD.

Have 150 GB HDD bought 14 years ago

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
I have Flatron L1753S LG. It seems the screen is so small.

So I want to upgrade to a touch monitor.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Wireless mouse, Circle cabinet

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Immediatly

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
No

I have to search for an assembler to do it.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
I am in Bangalore. Yes I want to buy locally and also buy online

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
It is for my brother, who is physically disabled. He wants to upgrade the old PC to a latest configuration or preferably assemble an all in one PC. If you are from Bangalore on this forum, will you be able to help?

It should run for another 10 years.

As per our basic knowledge and research, we are looking at this specs

1. 10/11 th generation i5

2. 1 TB or more HDD

3. 8 GB Memory

4. WiFi and Bluetooth, WLAN, SD Card Reader, Audio Jack, USB 2.0, USB 3.2, Line Out, HDMI, RJ45 { Ethernet Port}, DVD rw dual format,

5. Wireless keyboard

The pictures of the old PC is attached

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Hi Charley!

Will you use your existing hard disk? what is the size? asking if you really need hdd or just ssd will do.

OP
Charley

Charley

Just Do It
Hi Charley!

Will you use your existing hard disk? what is the size? asking if you really need hdd or just ssd will do.

Thanks for the response TheSloth

I have a 14 year old 150 GB HDD. Is it recommended to use it?

I would like to get a bigger drive to store videos from our collection of 100 dvd's, install softwares and also would like to use this for another 10 years and more without another upgradation.

SP Road in BLR is the place to go for PC parts. Touch screen isn't that great of a exp with Win10 in general, so not recommended. My parents have a laptop with touch screen, so I have first-hand exp.

CPU - Intel i5 10400 - 15.5k

Mobo - MSI H410M Pro-VH - 5.6k (it has M.2 SSD slot)

RAM - 1x8GB DDR4 2666+MHz - 2.5k*

GPU - iGPU

SSD - Kingston A400 120GB 2.5″ - 1.8k

HDD - WD/Seagate 1TB 7200RPM - 3.2k

PSU - Gigabyte P550B 80+ Bronze - 3.5k

Cabinet - Corsair SPEC 01 or other mid tower ATX - 3k

Monitor - 24" 1080p IPS monitor (non-touch) - 9k

Total - 44.1k

*Get 2666MHz RAM but sometimes higher freq RAM is cheaper. Say a 3000MHz RAM will underclock & run at 2666.

Check primeabgb, mdcomputers, theitdepot, vedant computers, onlyssd (online stores as well) for PC parts at a good price, sometimes even amazon.

Get a Logitech, Dell or Lenovo wireless KB + mouse bundle for 1-2k.
Honestly, an i5 is overkill, just get i3 10100 for 10k, unless you plan to add say a GPU in future & game on it.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -43.6k (AMD APU Rig)

Processor -AMD Ryzen 3 3200G -9.3k
Motherboard -Asrock B450M/ac Wifi -7.5k
RAM -Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 3200Mhz -3.8k
SSD -Crucial BX500 480GB SATAIII SSD -4.3k
HDD -WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM -3.3k
Power Supply -Antec ATOM V550W 80+ Bronze -2.3k
Monitor -BenQ GW2282 22inch LED IPS -8k
Cabinet -Antec NX210 NX -3.5k
KB & Mouse -Logitech MK270r Wireless KB + Mouse -1.6k (amazon.in)

Total -43.6K

All above prices are taken from vedantcomputers except otherwise specified.
Since higher clocked RAM helps in the APU in its performance I suggested 3200Mhz accordingly.

OP
Charley

Charley

Just Do It
Thanks for the responses.

1. Can I use the existing cabinet, monitor and the old 150 GB hard disk, Omega and Sunil?

2. We are also thinking about assembling an All in one PC as mentioned initially. What add ons do we need to the specs mentioned by you?

quicky008

Technomancer
The old cabinet can be used,but it isn't advisable as its most likely corroded with rust and dust,which may affect the lifespan of the new components that you are going to put into it.

That 150 GB hdd will also work if it uses a sata interface,but will slow down the system a lot due to its slow transfer speeds as its already pretty old.Perhaps you can use it as a 2ndary storage device in addition to the new SSD/HDD.

1. Can I use the existing cabinet, monitor and the old 150 GB hard disk, Omega and Sunil?

2. We are also thinking about assembling an All in one PC as mentioned initially. What add ons do we need to the specs mentioned by you?
1. Mention cabinet model. HDD, you can likely add, if its SATA, better to use SSD for OS. Better get a new monitor which will be much better.

2. Never heard of assembling AIOs. It usually has laptop components behind a big display, that's it.

OP
Charley

Charley

Just Do It
Thanks for the response.

Is this PC ideal?All specs are similar to the specs mentioned by Omega and Sunil.

*www.dell.com/en-in/shop/desktops-a...top/spd/inspiron-3880-desktop/icc-d281515win8

Assembling seems like lot of work.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks for the response.

Is this PC ideal?All specs are similar to the specs mentioned by Omega and Sunil.

*www.dell.com/en-in/shop/desktops-a...top/spd/inspiron-3880-desktop/icc-d281515win8

Don't buy prebuilds. Assembling hardly takes 20-30 minutes.

Thanks for the response.

You can get the i5 based build I suggested earlier for few thousands extra, that too with a monitor. Bump to 240GB SSD from 120GB is barely another 1k extra. Not to forget, swapping i5 to i3 will fir everything under 40k.

Seriously visit SP Road, sellers will assemble the whole PC for you for free if you buy everything from them.

OP
Charley

Charley

Just Do It

Omega, I would like to know

1. Can I add 2GB,(8+2) 4gb(8+4) or 6gb(8+6) to the 8gb RAM? Will it be compatible with the specs?

2. Can I add 2 ssd instead of 1 tb hdd? I read it much faster

3. What's the 3D NAND M.2 NVMe and difference between Kingston A400 240GB Internal SSD (SA400S37-240G) and Kingston A2000 3D NAND M.2 NVMe 250GB Internal SSD (SA2000M8-250G)?

4. Corsair cabinet looks awesome, but the slots, usb, power button are on the top.

The circle cabinet we have the slots, power button are down which is accessible easily for my brother from the wheelchair. I've attached pictures of it in the initial post

Please advise

Omega, I would like to know

1. Can I add 2GB,(8+2) 4gb(8+4) or 6gb(8+6) to the 8gb RAM? Will it be compatible with the specs?

2. Can I add 2 ssd instead of 1 tb hdd? I read it much faster

3. What's the 3D NAND M.2 NVMe and difference between Kingston A400 240GB Internal SSD (SA400S37-240G) and Kingston A2000 3D NAND M.2 NVMe 250GB Internal SSD (SA2000M8-250G)?

4. Corsair cabinet looks awesome, but the slots, usb, power button are on the top.

The circle cabinet we have the slots, power button are down which is accessible easily for my brother from the wheelchair. I've attached pictures of it in the initial post

Please advise
1. Your old RAMs won't work. I don't know if 2GB DDR4 RAM exists but 4GB does. That mobo has just 2 RAM slots, so better buy 1x8GB now & another later

2. Yes, but except for OS & other apps, SSD doesn't help, say for movies or pics. Maybe buy a 500GB M.2 NVMe like Kingston A2000 or WD SN550 & populate the single M.2 slot. You can add more 2.5" SSDs later, if you want.

3. A2000 is NVMe, much faster but uses M.2 port which your mobo has, just 1 slot though as its a cheap mobo.

3. Look for a different cabinet but I don't think you get USB ports at bottom easily. Use a USB hub.

OP
Charley

Charley

Just Do It
Thanks for the response.

Is this monitor recommended?

Samsung 59.8 cm (23.5 inch) Curved LED Backlit Computer Monitor - Full HD, VA Panel with VGA, HDMI, Audio Ports - LC24F390FHWXXL (Black

Thanks for the response.

Is this monitor recommended?

Samsung 59.8 cm (23.5 inch) Curved LED Backlit Computer Monitor - Full HD, VA Panel with VGA, HDMI, Audio Ports - LC24F390FHWXXL (Black
Yes, seems fine, but not sure of quality of budget VAs.
Get this, 24" IPS, safer choice IMO:
Amazon.in: Buy BenQ GW2475H 24 Inch (60.45 cm) IPS Eye-Care Full HD 1080P Monitor, Flicker-Free, Low Blue Light, Dual HDMI, Edge-to-Edge Slim Bezel, VESA Wall Mountable Online at Low Prices in India | BenQ Reviews & Ratings

OP
Charley

Charley

Just Do It
There is a long delay in going forward as I'm not getting a cabinet with power button and slots at the bottom. There is one with Circle in Mumbai only. I don't think it is a feasible option to buy from Bangalore and take it to SP Road for assembling

*www.circlect.com/product/cosmo/

I contacted some shops in SP Road and they have the button and slots on the upper side of the cabinet

Any suggestions Omega?

quicky008

Technomancer
most of the well known brands have started manufacturing cabinets with power buttons at elevated positions on the front panel or at the top of the cabinet entirely.

thus if you are looking for a cabinet for your brother specifically having buttons/slots at the bottom,then go for local brands like iball,frontech etc.Their cabinents usually have most ports/buttons at the mid position on the front panel, esp. their budget offerings.

Top Bottom