Upgrading my Dell Optiplex 755

satswid

Broken In
Hey guys,
I want to upgrade my Dell Optiplex 755(Mini Tower).
It has no graphics card and HDD is only 80 GB and ram is 1 GB only.
Can I also upgrade the processor? Its Pentium Dual Core
You can check more details by google.
I want to play at least games like Street Fighter 4 and Prince of Persia The forgotten Sands.
Please advice.

Thanks.

kinshuk.arya

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys,
I want to upgrade my Dell Optiplex 755(Mini Tower).
It has no graphics card and HDD is only 80 GB and ram is 1 GB only.
Can I also upgrade the processor? Its Pentium Dual Core
You can check more details by google.
I want to play at least games like Street Fighter 4 and Prince of Persia The forgotten Sands.
Please advice.

Thanks.

Hi Satswid,
can you give more details about the motherboard also? So that we can see if there is a provision to fir a graphic card or not.

Prince of persia: The forgotten Sands is a very graphic intensive game.

OP
S

satswid

Broken In
I am not building a new PC.
Its just an upgrade.
You can find all the details of Dell Optiplex 755 here:
Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop specs

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
your motherbaord has sata port so upgrading will be very easy - just get any sata HDD.
Get 2x 2GB DDR2 module or try and for playing games you better get a new graphics card like HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 at-least at around ~5.5k.
Upgrading the cpu will be tough as you can only upgrade to intel C2D E/Q6xxx series cpus and finding them is a really hard but as this a q35 based motherbaord with a bios update [ post the bios update date here before updating ] you may be able to use 45nm c2d/c2q cpus.

your motherbaord has sata port so upgrading will be very easy - just get any sata HDD.
Get 2x 2GB DDR2 module or try and for playing games you better get a new graphics card like HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 at-least at around ~5.5k.
Upgrading the cpu will be tough as you can only upgrade to intel C2D E/Q6xxx series cpus and finding them is a really hard but as this a q35 based motherbaord with a bios update [ post the bios update date here before updating ] you may be able to use 45nm c2d/c2q cpus.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
hd 6670 ddr5 @5.5k
wd blue 500 gb hdd @3.5k
2gb ddr2 @2.1k

this overshooting your budget but worth every rs... if you want something cheap then you can opt for the ddr3 version of the gfx card or else get a lower capacity hdd but before getting anything post info on your psu and cpuz screenshot of memory and spd tab.

OP
S

satswid

Broken In
hd 6670 ddr5 @5.5k
wd blue 500 gb hdd @3.5k
2gb ddr2 @2.1k

this overshooting your budget but worth every rs... if you want something cheap then you can opt for the ddr3 version of the gfx card or else get a lower capacity hdd but before getting anything post info on your psu and cpuz screenshot of memory and spd tab.

Great, thanks a lot

Also, would it be better if I raise my budget by 2-3k and buy Sapphire HD 7750 1 GB DDR5 instead?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Great, thanks a lot

Also, would it be better if I raise my budget by 2-3k and buy Sapphire HD 7750 1 GB DDR5 instead?

which psu does it have? if you can extend 3k , then nothing beats hd7770 at 8k. But you should have a good psu

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Op can get a HD7770 or a HD7750 but their performance may be bottlenecked by Op's cpu as I don't think a C2D at 2.2 Ghz is simply enough for such gpus but for future proofing a strong gpu is better if Op can get a hold of a good C2D/C2Q or a complete upgrade but still for 13k and OP's present rig Op should get these :

Asus HD 6670 ddr5 @5.5k
WD blue 500 gb hdd @3.5k
Kingston 2gb ddr2 @2.1k
Antec VP 350 @ 1.8k

OP
S

satswid

Broken In
Op can get a HD7770 or a HD7750 but their performance may be bottlenecked by Op's cpu as I don't think a C2D at 2.2 Ghz is simply enough for such gpus but for future proofing a strong gpu is better if Op can get a hold of a good C2D/C2Q or a complete upgrade but still for 13k and OP's present rig Op should get these :

Asus HD 6670 ddr5 @5.5k
WD blue 500 gb hdd @3.5k
Kingston 2gb ddr2 @2.1k
Antec VP 350 @ 1.8k

Thanks dear,
Please find my attached pc config to suggest the best processor and required upgrades.
View attachment 12064

Nighthawk12

In the zone
Get a HD 7750 for 1k more. It's power consumption is much lower than HD 6670 and it is based on new gen architecture. I know it might get bottlenecked but still.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@satswid - that spec link you posted before and the datasheet of Optiplex 755 mentioned about some other cpu but now looking at the snapshot you posted telling me you have something different but e5200 is a very capable cpu so you can opt for the gpu mentioned by NightHawk but still you need to get some other componenets - see if you can skip the hDD purchase for now and get it later for getting a better GPU+PSU+2GB/4GB extra ram which really matters in gaming.

BTW, do post a cpu-z snapshot of cpu, motherboard, memory and spd tab.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
is it possible for you take a pic of the psu using a camera or just post the psu's +12v rail rating ( for eg. 16a ) generally branded pcs cimes with decent psu so you may be able to get a hd7750/hd6670 without changing it.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
is it possible for you take a pic of the psu using a camera or just post the psu's +12v rail rating ( for eg. 16a ) generally branded pcs cimes with decent psu so you may be able to get a hd7750/hd6670 without changing it.

local psu wont put correct rating on the rails.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes, and that's why they have some funny +12v ratings like 15A for a 450W PSU but as Op said he has Dell Optiplex 755 so I'm sure Dell has used better psu compared to desi psus ;) now on some brabded pcs the motherboard used has proprietary power connectors so [ unlike the connectors found on standard boards ] so just getting any psu may not be compatible so Op better post a clear pic of his motherboard if he needs to get a new psu.

Top Bottom