Upgrading an old PC within a budget of 25k

ssb1551

Technomancer
Hi All,

I have a desktop with the following config : (I know its very old - some might even call it archaic :p)
AMD Athlon II X4 635
Biostar MCP6P3
2GB Zion & 2GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz
Seagate 1TB + Seagate 500GB
XFX HD4650
FSP Saga II 500W

I havent used the desktop in a little over 4 years but due to certain circumstances I have to rely on my Desktop PC as my laptop has only 2 losts and 4GB of RAM. Anyways I want to upgrade to decent config and my budget is 25k. I can extend to another 8k if the upgrade is worth it. Now the important reason I want the upgrade is because my trainer can only give me a VM of Informatica and he needs 4GB of RAM for the VM, so the system should ideally have 6-8GB of RAM. As you can see above I have only 4GB, so I thought of upgrading the RAM. Since I am upgrading the RAM and the old config cant use the higher frequency of RAM (2133 or 2400 MHz) I have made up my mind to upgrade the CPU+MoBo. I will upgrade the GPU later on when I have saved enough for RX 480. Since I have been out of touch with the updates at the COU & MoBo front I was hoping if anyone could help me out with a decent CPU+MoBo combination. I plan to use 16 GB of RAM (2 x 8GB) of the following :
Amazon.in: Buy Corsair 8GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2400Mhz C16 Red Kit for X99 Chipset (CMK8GX4M1A2400C16R) Online at Low Prices in India | Corsair Reviews & Rating

I am pretty sure my current MoBo wont support this, hence you see the need to update. Now I am left with CPU+MoBo. I have gone through some posts in the forum. I found i5 6500 to be a frequently suggested CPU within this range. I was shocked to see no AMD CPUs. I will mostly be running applications like OBIEE and VMs for Informatica. Can anyone please suggest both Intel & AMD CPU+MoBo combo for around 18k? And why Intel i5 6500 is preferred over any current gen AMD CPU at the same price?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks.

yasho2249

Broken In
If you are going for an i5 and a good gpu I highly recommend for a better psu. Go for corsair atleast. Seasonic would be the best choice.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I have gone through some posts in the forum. I found i5 6500 to be a frequently suggested CPU within this range. I was shocked to see no AMD CPUs. I will mostly be running applications like OBIEE and VMs for Informatica.
Coz, for most of the purpose Intel was a better choice then AMD. But in your case, you will likely to benefit from AMD. But I am not sure about it and neither have knowledge about VM. Better someone knowledgeable about VMs comment about it. While waiting for that, why don't you google and see what's best for you.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
If you are going for an i5 and a good gpu I highly recommend for a better psu. Go for corsair atleast. Seasonic would be the best choice.

Sorry for missing the statement regarding the PSU. I am not getting the GPU now. I'll get it when I have saved enough. And PSU is also included that. As of now what I am looking at is only the CPU + MoBo combo. If you feel any AMD CPU can be got for this price range please do suggest.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Sorry for missing the statement regarding the PSU. I am not getting the GPU now. I'll get it when I have saved enough. And PSU is also included that. As of now what I am looking at is only the CPU + MoBo combo. If you feel any AMD CPU can be got for this price range please do suggest.

Intel Core i5 6500 -15000,
Gigabyte B150M-D3H -7500,
Corsair Vengeance 2400Mhz DDR4 8GB -2500.
TOTAL -25,000.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
Intel Core i5 6500 -15000,
Gigabyte B150M-D3H -7500,
Corsair Vengeance 2400Mhz DDR4 8GB -2500.
TOTAL -25,000.

Hey buddy thanks for the suggestion. However I have already thought of the RAM. 2 sticks of the below one & that comes upto 5.5k.

Amazon.in: Buy Corsair 8GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2400Mhz C16 Red Kit for X99 Chipset (CMK8GX4M1A2400C16R) Online at Low Prices in India | Corsair Reviews & Rating

So I'm left with 19.5k for CPU+MoBo. The combo suggested by You crosses by 3k. I can extend but I would strictly like to keep it within the targeted budget. I couldnt find on the net if the VM can take advantage of multi (8) cores in AMD FX A8 series. Do You think the i5 6500 would really help me in my work to justify going overboard by 3k?

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^ Nope, gaming is not my priority. Like I have mentioned in the opening post, working on Informatica via a VM is my priority. Casual gaming will be occasional.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^Nope. I checked quite a few sites & all of them say that the MoBo (Gigabyte B150M-D3H ) can support upto 2133 MHz.

Top Bottom