Upgrading a Old Pc

ravitaneja

Broken In
Hello guys i'm thinking of upgrading my old pc because my laptop mobo just died and i'm really troubled working right now. Curruntly i have a old p4 processor with 1 gb ddr2 ram and gigabyte Ga41m combo and 160 gb harddrive. The PC i working but hangs when i start browser and netbeans and a bit more app and mainly i will be using linux and window 7 dualboot. I'm also low on budget and want to reuse as much parts as i can. 1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Mainly for web Development alongside graphics editing and creating with softwares like photoshop, illustrator and netbeans, eclipse, inkscape, gimp, phpstorm, pycharm.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:currently my budget is 7k, cannot extend it a bit.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: no.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: ubuntu linux with dualboot window 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:eek:ld 160 gb is enough and i also have a 500 gb laptop hdd thinking of reusing it if a can with this.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: no, i have a 15.5 inch monitor but will be upgrading in upcomming months.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Hdd, and laptop hdd if i can with this, monitor, keyboard, mouse and speaker.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:ASAP

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:yes, i will build it myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:jhajjar haryana. Can buy from both onlime and from offline(nehru place).

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:currently i'm on very tight budget but can invest 6-7k in the next 2 months. I also thinking of buying a ups so it helps my pc from unwanted shutdown because of electric cuts.

Sent from my AO5510 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I assume you will use this new PC for another decade. So better save some money and go for a decent built rather cheap out now and live with the slow PC for another decade.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
[MENTION=276196]ravitaneja[/MENTION] - if you are Ok with buying from ebay get a Intel Q8xxx series cpu from ebay. But before that try hard and get corsair 2x 4GB 1333 Mhz DDr3 ram - which is the only one works perfectly with such old motherboards. Next get a Corsair VS350 power supply - should cost you around 1800 - 1900 bucks. I'm sure these will give your old pc a new life.

OP
R

ravitaneja

Broken In
[MENTION=15026]topgear[/MENTION] thanks for your advice. But I have some question I'm thinking of installing a core 2 duo with 4gb ddr3 ram and buying a ups currently and next month buying the PSU. So just want to know is this a good CPU or should I find any other I was thinking about it because it has 6mb cache.

Sent from my AO5510 using Tapatalk

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
For your usage type better to opt for used quad core cpu. I think a decent PSU is more important than a UPS and as for UPS get APC 600VA - costs around ~2.2k.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Intel Pentium G3240 -3500,
Gigabyte H81M-S1 -3500,
Corsair Value Select 4GB 1600Mhz -1300,
Antec BP350PS -1700,
Zebronics Blade Cabinet -1000.
TOTAL -11,000.

Top Bottom