Upgrade Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
I have a AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 754 processor and a Gigabyte mobo based on VIA K8M800 chipset with 384 MB RAM and a shared 64 MB VRAM for the IGP Unichrome Pro 2. I am a casual gamer. And alo I am thinking to get my PC Vista ready. So I have decided not to upgrade myb pro as I think it may serve good for me for atleast next two years. So I decided for going in for a 1 GB DDR 400 RAM from kingston and a mobo upgrade to ASUS K8N-VM for AMD 754 *www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=14&l3=245&model=952&modelmenu=1 . As the mobo has nvidia 6100 chipset supporting DirectX9 and PCIe. Now suggest me whether to upgrade or wait for sometime to have a DirectX 10 based mobo(IGP). And what should be the idle price of the above components. If u have a better idea then plz tell me.

Last edited:

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
next 2 yrs not possible.

cheap upgrade:
oc your cpu if mobo etc permits
get 1-2gb ram
sub 10k graphic card

decent upgrade
amd 64 3000-3500 or x2 3800
new mobo
20k type graphic card
2gb ram or more

no onboard is exactly up to the mark

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
But just get 1Gig ram and get a 6200 or 6600 based gfx card ...it can run vista...

How much does the mobo cost (ASUS K8N-VM ) ??????????

OP
nishant_nms

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
the mobo is costing me 3700. I wanted to upgrade it because if I invest in a gfx card then it will become a waste if I upgrade my mobo/pro later due to AGP bus and also the ASUS mobo has got SATA 2 and within 6 months I will be buying a HDD.

dabster

In the zone
You are thinking it the right way....
Buy a 754 mobo which supports PCIe and SATA 2.

Don't wait for AM2 socket mobo (anyhow it comes to mind) as the launch price would be high and yr upgrade will become unneccessarily costly...
Go with yr plans.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
But i u r getting a new mobo then get a 939 mobo and a 3000 for 4500 bucks....then u can even upgrade to a X2 or FX processor/....and 4500 bucks is not much for a 3000+

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
No...........don't wait for a DX10 IGP!! Use a DX 9 card for a 1 yr and then get a DX10 card........

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
I doubt!!!!Seriously!!!But it may/will for 939..........so don't get a 754 mobo now.....atleast a 939 mobo with a 3000+ for 4k....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom