Upgrade suggestion

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
As I am building the system from scratch won't it be better to spend a little extra go for x470 and to be better future-proof?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
OP, do you really need overclocking for your purposes? I really doubt the extra you will be spending on a good enough cooler+ a really good motherboard(costly) might not justify the cost increase per seconds/minutes saved on a editing session! That is just my opinion, I did not really have the set up with me to experiment with!
i7 is a better choice and since it will be high on load during editing works, it is recommended to get a good motherboard as well as a good enough after market cooler.here is a great choice for the cooler COOLER MASTER HYPER 212X Cpu Air Cooler.
Dont stick with inbuilt cooler with an intel setup.

the 550W smps you have chosen could be a VS550 I assume.Although the new white label ones that comes with 5 years of warranty now are not bad, I would recommend tx550m or CX450/550.

A discrete GPU will help you only if you use specific filters in your application that uses GPU power to achieve the result. If not integrated GPU in an intel system is more than enough. with Ryzen CPUs, you will have to get a discrete GPU anyway.

And for a cabinet, definitely go for some better one than k380. You need to balance your config. Spending high on some components,spending low on not so important components is not something that I would recommend. check nzxt phantom 240, looks good to me.

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
OP, do you really need overclocking for your purposes? I really doubt the extra you will be spending on a good enough cooler+ a really good motherboard(costly) might not justify the cost increase per seconds/minutes saved on an editing session! That is just my opinion, I did not really have the set up for me to experiment with!
i7 is a better choice and since it will be high on load during editing works, it is recommended to get a good motherboard as well as a good enough after market cooler. here is a great choice for the cooler COOLER MASTER HYPER 212X Cpu Air Cooler.
Don't stick with the inbuilt cooler with an Intel setup.

the 550W SMPS you have chosen could be a VS550 I assume. Although the new white label ones that come with 5 years of warranty now are not bad, I would recommend tx550m or CX450/550.

A discrete GPU will help you only if you use specific filters in your application that uses GPU power to achieve the result. If not integrated GPU in an Intel system is more than enough. with Ryzen CPUs, you will have to get a discrete GPU anyway.

And for a cabinet, definitely go for some better one than k380. You need to balance your config. Spending high on some components, spending low on not so important components is not something that I would recommend. check nzxt phantom 240, looks good to me.

Thanks a lot to you and all other, those who are kind enough to drop by to help. You have actually hit the nail on the head and understood the cause of my dilemma and confusion. I do not have a lot, so I have to balance to get the price-performance ratio.

I was almost certain that i7 non-k is for me, but after watching a video and reading some posts, it dawned to me that even though Ps does not use the extra cores, the plugins that I constantly use, take advantage of the extra cores completely. as these plugins are separate processes, even though launched from Ps, reducing time there would be important.

So I am back to Ryzen 2600x again.

I shall surely ensure that I buy a cx SMPS.

Now the only question remain is whether to go for x370 or newer x470 boards. It also appears that 1030 is the only GPU option in my budget or I can keep on using my old stone age 4700. What do you think? @rijinpk1

Btw, the case you suggested is retailing on Amazon for 20K :blink::eeeksign:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Why are you looking for PC components on amazon india? They have unreasonably high prices most times. Check mdcomputers, primeabgb, itdepot, vedant computers, deltapage etc.

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
Why are you looking for PC components on amazon india? They have unreasonably high prices most times. Check mdcomputers, primeabgb, itdepot, vedant computers, deltapage etc.
Well, it is true that these are way overpriced on Amazon, but still, I can get an idea. MD lists the price as >6K, and that does not make much sense, IMHO

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a good case for its price:
*www.amazon.in/Deepcool-Tesseract-Tower-Computer-Case/dp/B00NGCS7YA
TESSERACT DEEPCOOL- Cases
Hyper 212X | Cooler Master
Remember to check any PC cabinet specification very carefully especially the cpu cooler max height.Hyper212 X needs 158mm but it needs ryzen compatibility kit too(check this in specs too) while one of the most popular model both online & here,corsair spec,has a max cpu cooler height of 158mm meaning it will be a very tight fit with no margin for any extra space(tesseract supports max 165mm).

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
This is a good case for its price:
*www.amazon.in/Deepcool-Tesseract-Tower-Computer-Case/dp/B00NGCS7YA
TESSERACT DEEPCOOL- Cases
Hyper 212X | Cooler Master
Remember to check any PC cabinet specification very carefully especially the CPU cooler max height.Hyper212 X needs 158mm but it needs ryzen compatibility kit too(check this in specs too) while one of the most popular models both online & here, Corsair spec, has a max CPU cooler height of 158mm meaning it will be a very tight fit with no margin for any extra space(tesseract supports max 165mm).
Thanks so much.

So the only two things left to finalize are:

• Which chipset to go for- x370 or x470? From what I have read on the internet there is hardly much of a performance difference between the two, except the x470 has a better vram! As I am not going to overclock, not sure how important that feature is for me.
  • Should I buy 1030 (or any other equivalent) or should I stick with my old 4770, considering that GPU prices went through the roof in lat one year.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stick with 4770 for now & buy a gfx card only if you really feel the need.X370 is also good enough so if you can save a significant amount by getting X370 then go for it(aka if spending 1k extra gets you X470 from asus/gigabyte then get that).

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
Stick with 4770 for now & buy a gfx card only if you really feel the need.X370 is also good enough so if you can save a significant amount by getting X370 then go for it(aka if spending 1k extra gets you X470 from Asus/gigabyte then get that).
Thanks so much, my thoughts were on the more or less same line.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
with ryzen 2600/x, the stock cooler is more than enough even for mild overclocking. you can save on an after market cooler here. there is a price difference of about 3.5k between 2600 and 2600x(international price difference being $20 only!) and I would recommend 2600 over 2600x. regarding x370 or x470, look at the price and feature set of each motherboard and pick one.

and for the cabinet ,I was looking at this ,but is OOS. NZXT MID TOWER CABINET (ATX) - PHANTOM 240 WITH TRANSPARENT SIDE PANEL (BLACK/ORANGE)

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
with ryzen 2600/x, the stock cooler is more than enough even for mild overclocking. you can save on an after market cooler here. there is a price difference of about 3.5k between 2600 and 2600x(international price difference being $20 only!) and I would recommend 2600 over 2600x. regarding x370 or x470, look at the price and feature set of each motherboard and pick one.

and for the cabinet ,I was looking at this ,but is OOS. NZXT MID TOWER CABINET (ATX) - PHANTOM 240 WITH TRANSPARENT SIDE PANEL (BLACK/ORANGE)
Thanks

I shall surely inquire about the price difference between 2600 and 2600x. Though from what I found on internet, it seems that the x version is better performer for not so higher price.

I have been trying to ascertain the price-performance equation between two chipsets, but could not find anything conclusive. The only thumb rule that I can follow is to go for the latest if the price difference is not that high.

What's wrong with CM K380? Could you please explain? Only then I would be able to tell the retailer about my exact requirements.

Thanks again.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
2600x is a better performer because it has high clock speeds compared to 2600(3.6GHz-4.2GHz/3.4GHz-3.9GHz). Checked on newegg and price difference is only $20 which is around Rs.1300 and hence 2600x is worth its price over there. However Indian price difference is Rs.3500(18800-15300) which is what made me to tell you that price performance ratio of 2600x is not going to be good. If you wish to overclock , you can get a decent air cooler for Rs.3500 and overclock r5 2600 to surpass 2600x performance wise.

there is nothing wrong in CM K380. if you wish to purchase after market cooler, check the height of it. Cooler master hyper 212x is around 158mm while k380 has a clearance of 155mm which means 212x will not be compatible with the case. if you are going for 2600x and does not plan on changing to a better cooler for overclocking which exceeds the height of 155mm, you are fie with the case.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks. So what I should look for? I do have two older SATA HDDs and a DVD writer, not sure whether those are 5.25" or not
DVD writer might be, but I'd just sell it away. DVDs are painfully slow. As for the HDDs, get a new larger capacity drive later and copy their data over. If those are old enough, they could cause unnecessary slow downs during read/write.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. So what I should look for? I do have two older SATA HDDs and a DVD writer, not sure whether those are 5.25" or not
You can buy Deepcool Tesseract from overclockers zone/tirupati enterprises(their head office is in kolkata).
Deepcool TESSERACT SW Mid Tower Computer Case
About Us

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
i7 is a better choice and since it will be high on load during editing works, it is recommended to get a good motherboard as well as a good enough after market cooler. here is a great choice for the cooler COOLER MASTER HYPER 212X Cpu Air Cooler.
@rijinpk1 is the above cooler enough to overclock an i7 8700K?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
@rijinpk1 is the above cooler enough to overclock an i7 8700K?

it will be enough to reach around 4.5GHz stable. you may have to tweak voltage settings to achieve it. Do research thoroughly before tweaking with voltage. one mistake can fry your chip. you need to have patience and wait till the CPU reaches its stable frequency. Every chip is also different meaning if one chip does 4.5GHz at 1.2V ,another chip of same category might need 1.25v to achieve the 4.5GHz mark.

Top Bottom