Status
Not open for further replies.

arnab_21111987

Right off the assembly line
hi guys, i am upgrading my comp, i want a mid range gaming configuration - budjet around 22k. this is the configuration i have come up with

AMD Athlon 3000+ (Rs.5600)
ASUS A8N-VM CSM (Rs.6000)
For info :::
*in.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=210&model=766&modelmenu=1
Sony DRU-810A DVD Writer (Rs.3400)
Hard Disk 80GB Seagate (Rs.2500)
Cabinet with SMPS (Rs.1200)
Transcend 512 Mb DDR 400 RAM (Rs.2300)

anything you improve in this list??

i am not buying agraphic card bcoz i am waiting for directx10 cmpatible cards to be available. meanwhile the above asus motherboard has onboard nvidia geforce 6150 gpu.

if anyone can suggest an intel-based configuration in same budget and similar performance, it'll be great!!

ashfame

Padawan
Rather than DDR ram, go for DDR2 ram as it is more efficient.
Change your choice of mobo that can accomodate DDR2 ram sticks.
Go not less than 7200rpm drives.
Buy a mobo that has pci-e (16x) & DDR2 slots for ram.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
With Intel, you won't get as good graphics as the 6150 can provide plus for 5600 bucks, Intel has no proccy that can match up to the 3000+. So stick to AMD.

The DVD writer should come for 700 bucks less. 512 MB RAM is Rs. 1900 not Rs. 2300. Your config is fine except you could do with 1 GB RAM instead of 512 MB.

@ashfame: AMD dosen't support DDR2 RAM as yet.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
Arnab ,
Your config seems absolutely fine. I would suggest you go for more RAM. Your mobo will compliment your processor pretty well. Get two DDR 400 512 MB RAM modules from Hynix and fire them in dual channel mode.They are more reliable.

AMD does has support for DDR2 .Actually its new AM2 socket supports it.But I am not sure of its availability. Intel's dual core processor with HT enabled will perform Far better than AMD's processors even if AMD have on-die memory controller. Since Your budget is 22k so stick with AMD. No match for it in price-to-performance ratio.

So your config should be like:

AMD Athlon 3000+ (Rs.5600)
ASUS A8N-VM CSM (Rs.6000)

Sony DRU-810A DVD Writer (Rs.3400) //Even i have it but it cost me Rs. 500
lesser
Hard Disk 80GB Seagate (Rs.2500)
Cabinet with SMPS (Rs.1200)
Hynix 512 X2 DDR400 RAM (Rs.4100)

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
@Kaustav: Off topic reply, if you try to compare AMD dual core with Intel dual core, then also AMD wins. You have mentioned:

[qoute=Kaustav_geek] Intel's dual core processor with HT enabled will perform Far better than AMD's processors even if AMD have on-die memory controller.[/qoute]

I have large objection to that. See this:

*www.cnet.com/4520-6022_1-6217968-1.html

And this:

*reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html

Read the whole of it and then post your opinion.

Serious_Dude

1)AMD Athlon 64Bit 3000+ Socket 939 Venice E core - Rs 5300
2)Foxconn NF4K8MC-ERS Motherboard - Rs 2500
3)XFX/Leadtek Geforce 6100TC 64MB onboard Graphics card ~ Rs 2400
5)LG 4167B DVD Writer - Rs 2400
6)Altec Lansing 251 5.1 speakers - Rs 3800 (Discontinued product)
7)Hynix 512 MB DDR-400 RAM Revision 2 with 2-3-3-5 latencies - Rs 1,800
8]Seagate 80GB harddisk SATA - Rs 2400
9)Mercury cabinet with 350W SMPS - Rs 1200
10)Multimedia Black Keyboard + Optical Mosue - Rs 500

Total - Rs 22300 without monitor

*Dont go for ASUS .Its purely bull**** when compared to MSI or Gigabyte similar models.ASUS suck.You can check anandtech forums.
*forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1838413&enterthread=y

*Instead of onboard GPU you can go for external GPU.It will make the system very fast as the load will be taken care by the GPU instead of CPU.Go for the MOBO + GPU combination which i gave.It will rock.Remember external GPU is always much better than onboard.Read the review of motherboard *www.mbreview.com/nf4k8mc.php

*www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cfm?pName=NF4K8MC-ERS

*About graphic card *www.techenclave.com/forums/347065-post1.html

Serious_Dude

mohit said:
^^^serious dude .. u r totally talking rubbish here .. u say asus sucks ???? lol .. they have some of the best boards dude .. n asus has a much better warranty n rma support than msi or gigabyte in india .. dont talk just by reading stuff here n there. be practical.

ASUS have good board but when compared to MSI or GIGA they suck features wise and overclo.
all companies asus,MSI,gigabyte have good warranty support in all da metropolitans.
It takes same number of days for a product to be repaired under warranty or to be exchanged be it either ASUS or MSI or Gigabyte.I know it from practical experience.
For ASUS mobo u wont get TV-OUT module easily.MSI K8NGM2-FID is much better.
Just read the ASUS forum for the number of complaints :mad:
*vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20060304225621317&board_id=1&model=A8N-VM+CSM&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
Code:
1 - vcore voltage issues
        we dont know for certain if this is truly a voltage problem or a sensor problem.  there
        some evidence that they have serious issues with voltage sensors but no way of knowing.
        the result of this may be a perfectly stable cpu with a greatly reduced lifespan.  so, you
        wont see the problem until it smokes and goes down hard forever.  

2 - southbridge overheating
        everyone agrees here, it needs a heatsink and will suffer a reduced lifespan without it.
        perhaps it is being overvolted or perhaps this is just poor design

3 - northbridge heatsink improperly installed
       most have too much grease under it and dont properly conduct heat into the sink.
       also, some reports of missing support frame under the heatsink which can result in 
       scracthing the chip.

4 - dim video on the svideo port
        this is fixed in an unreleased bios but not officially even acknowledged by tech 
        support as an issue.  apparently a big gap in communication between Taiwan and 
        tech support

5 - ACPI bugs
       no excuse for this.

Last edited by a moderator:

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
@Serious_dude and mohit
Stick to the topic without flaming, both of you. If you've got something to say, say it proper and back it with some logic. Just saying "this sucks" isn't going to work.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Both MSI and Asus make really good mobo's. MSI boards tend to have more features while Asus boards are slightly better for overclocking. You can't go wrong with either.

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
@serious_dude and mohit

I WARNED you two. I hope you enjoy your respective sabbaticals and will post civilly when your bans lapse.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
digitized,
AMDs dominate in processor intensive non-linear tasks like gaming and 3D anime/modelling but they fail in linear tasks like encoding and decoding due to their shorter pipelines hence lower clock speed.Even though they have excellent branch predictors, their dual core procys won't perform as good as Intel's HT enabled dual cores in multitasking.
Hence my verdict:
Intel HT enabled dual cores-- multimedia encoding/decoding,multitasking
AMD--gaming,3D modelling/anime

As far as your config goes, doesn't your procy bottleneck your 6800 GS??
What is your 3DMark'05 procy and GFx card score separately??
Ideally these should be equal .So if any one is lower then you know you have a bottleneck.

#What's your name ?? please suggest me a very good shop based in KOLKATA. I'm from durgapur so if I want to buy my PC components from KOLKATA, what is the transport mechanism for it?@digitized

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Well, u could buy the pc component from CHANDNI CHOWK, there are many shops out there. Suggesting a single shop for every component requirement is not possible.
By the way what do u want to buy and what's ur budget?

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
Hi,
I want to buy the core components of my system viz, procy,RAM,mobo,HDD,GFx card.In simple words I'm upgrading for a year only cause I would be moving to an Engg College next year.So I don't wana invest too much now on my DAD's money!

I will buy my dream machine with my own money.My budget for the time being is 35k.I do have a config in my mind.Here it goes:-
AMD Athlon64 3000+(Venice core//runs a lot cooler)
ASUS A8N-E
512 X2 DDR400 hynix
Hitachi 80 GB SATA II
XFX 6600 GT 128(PCIE ofcourse!)
a bloody Techcom CAbby with a VIP 450W psu
Some goodies--a bloody frontech 4.1 speaker system and a LG 17" monitor.

Though I know the prices of the components but I want them cheap.They are a lot costlier here.So hope to come down to KOL to get these components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom