Upgrade or New purchase

50k?
This one I purchased has Hybrid 128GB SSD + 1 TB HDD ... I’ll most def upgrade the SSD.
This one is the Intel variant you bought, most likely:
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Laptop Review: Thin design beats upgradability

AMD variant:
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 laptop review: Affordable and fast thanks to AMD Renoir

Battery life seems similar due to the same battery size contrary to what I said earlier. AMD variant has dual-channel RAM running at a higher freq (improves performance a bit, nothing major in daily usage), adding 8GB RAM vs replacing 8GB stick with 16GB RAM for more RAM & 2nd SSD slot but Intel one has HDD.

The AMD variant is in high demand & OOS right now, so Intel variant isn't a bad buy in any way.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
50k?
This one I purchased has Hybrid 128GB SSD + 1 TB HDD ... I’ll most def upgrade the SSD.

As @omega44-xt mentioned

Before purchasing any M.2 SSD I strongly suggest go to Lenovo Comunity Forum, Register there and Create a Thread about the same - Which M.2 SSD will compatiable with your model number (Make sure the model number, not the Serial Number because there Triliions of varient produced for all over the world) - This is seems ridiculas but I'm victim of the same about M.2 SSD comaptiablity issue, but thanks to Amazon Refund policy I got my money back....So always buy from Amazon IN.

Also Download Hardware Maintance Manual in the PDF form to familier with your machine - It is on the upper right side of the driver download page / support page.

Also in the support page there are the Spare Part Listing - In that section you can dig and land into M.2 Comaptiability section, If you able to decode model number of the M.2 SSD then you can buy with Eyes Closed. In my case there are Samsung and WD models listed as compatible but I can't decode that and get relevent product page at Amazon IN.

Lastly My E14 is AMD machine, But your one is Intel - You may not even face this issue at all.......All Hail To Intel.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
This one is the Intel variant you bought, most likely:
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Laptop Review: Thin design beats upgradability

AMD variant:
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 laptop review: Affordable and fast thanks to AMD Renoir

Battery life seems similar due to the same battery size contrary to what I said earlier. AMD variant has dual-channel RAM running at a higher freq (improves performance a bit, nothing major in daily usage), adding 8GB RAM vs replacing 8GB stick with 16GB RAM for more RAM & 2nd SSD slot but Intel one has HDD.

The AMD variant is in high demand & OOS right now, so Intel variant isn't a bad buy in any way.

It will not matter as my use case is very general.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
just when i thought i have made the correct purchase a colleague told that 14” will be small compared to 15.6” for doing excel work so I cancelled the order

just when i thought i have made the correct purchase a colleague told that 14” will be small compared to 15.6” for doing excel work so I cancelled the order
Lol, no. Its more of a personal preference. People even work on 13.3" laptops which are very portable. You have to make a tradeoff somewhere, i.e. portability vs screen size vs specs.

IMO, go to local shops & check out 14" laptops, then decide for yourself.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Lol, no. Its more of a personal preference. People even work on 13.3" laptops which are very portable. You have to make a tradeoff somewhere, i.e. portability vs screen size vs specs.

IMO, go to local shops & check out 14" laptops, then decide for yourself.

I did where I found HP Envy 13.3” to be the best looking and super portable … but office was not activated on it so couldn’t open excel

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I did where I found HP Envy 13.3” to be the best looking and super portable … but office was not activated on it so couldn’t open excel
Just a suggestion, if the primary work is going to be on excel with lots and lots of columns, go for bigger screen. Another option if portability isn't high priority, get whatever laptop with best configuration you can get and buy a monitor and use as external display. I very rarely worked on excel, but whenever I did, scrolling sideways always irritated me.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Just a suggestion, if the primary work is going to be on excel with lots and lots of columns, go for bigger screen. Another option if portability isn't high priority, get whatever laptop with best configuration you can get and buy a monitor and use as external display. I very rarely worked on excel, but whenever I did, scrolling sideways always irritated me.

Primary work is on excel. I really liked the specs of HP Omen 15 launched in 2020 but it’s only tradeoff was no Numpad.

You mean Office wasn't activated in a showroom model? If so, it never will be. Many of showroom models are meant for selling & Office will be activated to the user who buys it, if the laptop has an Office H&S subscription that is, which many laptops don't have.

Unless someone brings a laptop from abroad w/o extra shipping or customs, not worth the hassle to import for a normal multimedia laptop.

Top Bottom