Upgrade from GTX970

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Hey fellas I have been using the above for 3.5 years now and its time to change it. However, I am very low on budget, so what GPU do you suggest accordingly? The upgrade has to be a significant one, as I will be using the GPU for at least 3 years down the line. I won't change monitor anytime soon, so res. gonna remain at 1920x1200 (maybe a 1440p max after couple of years or so, but no 4K).

I am okay with used GPUs too. My budget is a maximum of 20k. Lower the better. I have considered the GTX 1660, 1660 Ti (slightly on the edge as price is high), 1070 Ti (used) thus far. Also please remember the power efficiency is important for me. I read somewhere that on the 1660 its on the higher side, not sure about the truthfulness though.

Is the difference of 8-9k between the 1660 and the 1660 Ti worth paying the extra for? At 25-26k users are selling the 2060 on Erodov I noticed, wouldn't that be a much better deal?

Looking for your suggestions.

PS- 1. Strictly no AMD.
2. No Galax, Inno or Zotac. Will only consider Asus or Gigabyte or maybe MSI too.

Last edited:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Hey fellas I have been using the above for 3.5 years now and its time to change it. However, I am very low on budget, so what GPU do you suggest accordingly? The upgrade has to be a significant one, as I will be using the GPU for at least 3 years down the line. I won't change monitor anytime soon, so res. gonna remain at 1920x1200 (maybe a 1440p max after couple of years or so, but no 4K).

I am okay with used GPUs too. My budget is a maximum of 20k. Lower the better. I have considered the GTX 1660, 1660 Ti (slightly on the edge as price is high), 1070 Ti (used) thus far. Also please remember the power efficiency is important for me. I read somewhere that on the 1660 its on the higher side, not sure about the truthfulness though.

Is the difference of 8-9k between the 1660 and the 1660 Ti worth paying the extra for? At 25-26k users are selling the 2060 on Erodov I noticed, wouldn't that be a much better deal?

Looking for your suggestions.

Vedant is trying to clear their 2060 Asus stock which is almost the same price of 25k.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^That card runs hotter than usual(somebody posted a comment on reddit linking to some review so may be a good option for those who live in cool climate or those having good cooling in case as well as room).

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
*www.amazon.in/GALAX-GeForce®-1-Click-192-bit-Graphic/dp/B07Q1358K1/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=GTX+1070&qid=1568014502&s=gateway&sr=8-10

*www.amazon.in/GeForce-GDDR5X-192-b...ords=GTX+1070&qid=1568014502&s=gateway&sr=8-2

*www.amazon.in/MSI-RX-580-8G-OC/dp/...rds=GTX+1070&qid=1568014502&s=gateway&sr=8-16

*www.amazon.in/GeForce-GDDR5X-192-b...ords=GTX+1070&qid=1568014502&s=gateway&sr=8-2

you will get much lower price than Amazon

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
^^That card runs hotter than usual(somebody posted a comment on reddit linking to some review so may be a good option for those who live in cool climate or those having good cooling in case as well as room).
Yes. I am not considering that card anyway, one fan card should be avoided unless gaming is done under AC.

Whatever, after reviewing the price of all models online, this is the nutshell-

1. RTX 2060 lowest budget model is available at Rs. 27,499 (Asus Advanced Edition, MD Comp.)

2. RTX 1660 Ti lowest budget mode is available at Rs. 23,000 (MSI, Vedant)

3. RTX 1660 lowest budget modei is available at Rs. 17,950 (MSI, Vedant)

I am aware that prices quoted could be lower on Vedant if visited in-person but just for reference I found those prices after checking Itdepot, MD, Vedant and Primeabgb.

Main thing is, its quite clear the from 1660 to 1660 Ti to 2060 there's a increasing slab of Rs. 5000. So which one would be best value for money considering everything? Like would 2060 be a overkill for 1080p/1440p resolution? If yes then I would simply buy a 1660 and save money. If not, then I would spend more and get it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do not buy any MSI product for now,/r/IndianGaming has recently seen many poor RMA stories of MSI products.Prefer Asus or Zotac for nvidia cards. Besides resolution,the monitor refresh rate also matters a lot.1660Ti is enough for 1080p 60fps screen(with or without freesync/gsync).

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
If I had the option, I'd just get 1660Ti for 1080p gaming. 2060 is quite capable for 1440p gaming and even 1080p 50-60 fps with RTX on. I am yet to test this (probably with Metro Exodus and Control).

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Do not buy any MSI product for now,/r/IndianGaming has recently seen many poor RMA stories of MSI products.Prefer Asus or Zotac for nvidia cards. Besides resolution,the monitor refresh rate also matters a lot.1660Ti is enough for 1080p 60fps screen(with or without freesync/gsync).
Okay. Well if i am going to get a 1660 Ti, then i'd stretch myself and get a 2060 anyway. I was asking about the non-Ti model 1660. But thanks, I'll check some comparison benchmark results or something.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are looking significant upgrade so better get the 2060 .. why settle for less when you can have the best.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
You are looking significant upgrade so better get the 2060 .. why settle for less when you can have the best.
Yes you're right TG. Just that there is a huge price difference of as much as 10k between a 1660 and 2060. And my financial is strained that's all.

I heard that a 1660 Ti performs closer to a 1070, is that true?

Is there a site wherein i can check the synthetic benchmark and real world usage of different cards? I am so out of touch I've forgotten everything :(

Yes you're right TG. Just that there is a huge price difference of as much as 10k between a 1660 and 2060. And my financial is strained that's all.

I heard that a 1660 Ti performs closer to a 1070, is that true?

Is there a site wherein i can check the synthetic benchmark and real world usage of different cards? I am so out of touch I've forgotten everything :(
Yes, 1660Ti performs similar to 1070. I'd say get 1660Ti at 23/24k if RTX 2060 is too expensive for you. Not sure why you are against Zotac but they offer 5 year warranty. Gigabyte was offering 4 year warranty after registering online, not sure if it's still the case. MSI has a lot of horror stories these days, esp in India.

Watch youtube videos by Hardware Unboxed, or read articles by Tom's hardware, anandtech & many more. There are a lot of good websites.

Use this as a rough guide:
GPU list 1440p.png

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
the above screenshot shows how weak is the gpu (1060) I am using compared to others .
People are also playing on 1050Ti,2200G integrated graphics & GT1030 equivalent on laptops,It all depends on your usage(some don't mind playing at lowest settings & resolution as long as they can play & some only play games for which even 1060 is more than enough) & budget.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
the above screenshot shows how weak is the gpu (1060) I am using compared to others .
On the contrary. I read that article in full last night. And near the end it basically said if you have a gtx 970 or some 390 or something, then maybe can consider altering a few in-game graphics options keep playing as those are still somewhat capable at 1080p.

Thanks a lot for mentioning about that suggestion article. It opened my eyes. And what i understand is, like already been mentioned here above, it won't be a significant upgrade from a 970 unless opted for a 2060. And right now i feel the price is a bit on the higher side. So I'll wait for the upcoming sales to see if it comes under any discount. Otherwise I'll simply grab the 1660, it won't be a great upgrade, but at least it's very cheap. Going for 1660 Ti is pointless for me, as if i can spend 24k behind that I'll obviously spend 3k more and opt for the 2060.

I called Vedant and MD yesterday by the way, and the price they quoted was not at all different from their online prices, so it didn't seem like they want to clear off their 2060 stocks. Whatever.

Top Bottom