Upgrade edition of Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d00by

Broken In
Hi,

Why can't I find information on upgrade edition of Windows Vista?

I have been told by some stores that Upgrade edition is not available in India?

I have genuine Windows XP Home.

Why is Microsoft denying me the option of Upgrading from XP to Vista?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I would sincerely advise you to avoid the upgrade edition. Everytime you'll want to re-install it in the future, you'll have to install Windows XP first and then install Vista on top it. That kind of sucks!

It's better, IMHO, to splurge a bit more and get a full version. Just my two cents. :)

OP
d00by

d00by

Broken In
In case of Home Premium upgrade, The difference is not much. (about 1000 rupees) i.e. 7500 against 8500 rupees

But, If I decide to upgrade to Home Basic, then the difference is quite appreciable.(3000 rupees) i.e. 4500 against 7500 rupees

Since my laptop is not capable of running 3D Aero, I am leaning towards upgrading to Home Basic.

I talked to microsoft customer care. According to them upgrade edition will be available in the next two weeks or so....

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
And how much RAM do you have? And do you think you'll be able to live with the problem I mentioned?

OP
d00by

d00by

Broken In
I have 1.25 GB RAM

I think I have 915 chipset. it is celeron m based 1.6 GHz lsptop.

I am pretty certain that it won't run Aero. Windows Vista upgrade advisor scanned my system. My system passed all tests except for the aero 3D test. I was advised to upgrade my video card which is almost impossible to do so on a laptop.

So, if Aero is not going to run, there is no sense to buy Home Premium.

I will just buy Home basic and save the money.

Can I upgrade video card in a laptop externally by pluggin it into a usb port or something??

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
From I've read it doesn't need an existing OS but ask's u for the installation disk of the previous OS (in case of fresh clean install) checks the disk for verification and then continues with the installation. *www3.b92.net/ipb_images/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif

OP
d00by

d00by

Broken In
AshishSharma said:
From I've read it doesn't need an existing OS but ask's u for the installation disk of the previous OS (in case of fresh clean install) checks the disk for verification and then continues with the installation.

You are saying the opposite thing. What you are saying was the case with previous versions of Windows.

From Windows Vista, the vista installer checks for the installed OS and validates if the OS is genuine. It does not check the disk anymore.

If the installer determines that the installed OS and the product key is genuine, only then it proceeds to upgrade to Vista OS.

Anyway, I talked to Microsoft customer care and they themselves admitted that Vista will not be available in New Delhi stores for 10 days atleast.

I guess the high price of Vista OS is deterring great demand for Vista.

The cheapest Vista (apart from the pathetic starter edition) will be Vista Basic UPGRADE which will cost Rs. 4500! (The Full retail version of Vista Basic will be Rs. 7500).

I think the only way Vista will seem affordable to most people will be when it comes bundled with a new PC. :(

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
d00by said:
You are saying the opposite thing. What you are saying was the case with previous versions of Windows.

From Windows Vista, the vista installer checks for the installed OS and validates if the OS is genuine. It does not check the disk anymore.

If the installer determines that the installed OS and the product key is genuine, only then it proceeds to upgrade to Vista OS.
Exactly.

vimal_mehrotra said:
No dude,It is very difficult to upgrade ANYTHING on laptop.
It is actually quite easy to upgrade the memory and storage capacity on most laptops. :)

OP
d00by

d00by

Broken In
aryayush said:
It is actually quite easy to upgrade the memory and storage capacity on most laptops. :)

It is easy to upgrade memory.

My laptop came with 256 DDR memory.

I have upgraded to 1.25 GB by adding a 1 GB module.

The difference has been amazing. My Windows XP is super fast now. :)

As for storage capacity, how is it easy? I don't think it is easy to upgrade internal hard disk. Any other option like external hard disk just makes the mobility of laptop into an issue.

I wish there was a way I could upgrade my video card by plugging into a USB port or something.

I can live without Aero as long as I can enjoy the other benefits of Vista.

Can't wait to upgrade! I wish I had a link for downloading the upgrade DVD and installing it on trial basis until I could get my hands on a legit upgrade edition of vista which won't be available until mid-february atleast. :(

IMHO, Microsoft India is sleeping. They just don't care about selling to home users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom