Upgrade advisor software (not win 7 one)

parthi2929

Broken In
Hi
I have the below PC configuration and want to get real performance boost in my system. So I am thinking of upgrading it from current config below.

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP45-UD3R
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
500.1 GB ST3500418AS Seagate
DDR2 (PC2-6400) 2048 MBytes Corsair - 2x3 totally 6 GB.
zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 512 MBytes GDDR3 - SLI compatable.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Since my mother board does not support core i7 type processor, I have to buy new one. But before that, with existing GPU and RAM, can I get a boost?
I thought I can buy another SLI supported GPU and increase my RAM with another 2 GB. I use a 550 W Corsair power supply.
So these are my questions?
1. Should I again go find another zotac GTS 250 GPU as mine is quite old (about one year; it was just before core-i3,5,7 era) or any current compatable zotac GPU exist whcih can partner well with my existing GPu?
2. I have one additional 2 GB RAM identical to rest 3 in PC. But whenever I add this to make total of 8 GB, after some hours of working, the PC starts making BSOD. When I checked all 4 RAMs in shop, they were all found to be perfectly working. So I feel this could be due to any cooling issue? How to find if my PC is requiring any further cooling? Any software that could detect these settings and suggest how much more cooling would be required?

Please help me guys.

Regards
Parthiban R

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Hi
I have the below PC configuration and want to get real performance boost in my system. So I am thinking of upgrading it from current config below.

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP45-UD3R
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
500.1 GB ST3500418AS Seagate
DDR2 (PC2-6400) 2048 MBytes Corsair - 2x3 totally 6 GB.
zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 512 MBytes GDDR3 - SLI compatable.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

If the purpose of this PC is gaming, It s good enough to handle all games of now...
That mobo u've mentioned has only one PCI-E slot, so it is not sli capable...
Which monitor u have?

I thought I can buy another SLI supported GPU and increase my RAM with another 2 GB. I use a 550 W Corsair power supply. Should I again go find another zotac GTS 250 GPU as mine is quite old (about one year; it was just before core-i3,5,7 era) or any current compatable zotac GPU exist whcih can partner well with my existing GPu?

Even if u hav a sli mobo,
With sli of GTS250 u get ~ 30-40% which is in my opinion not worth it...

I have one additional 2 GB RAM identical to rest 3 in PC. But whenever I add this to make total of 8 GB, after some hours of working, the PC starts making BSOD. When I checked all 4 RAMs in shop, they were all found to be perfectly working. So I feel this could be due to any cooling issue? How to find if my PC is requiring any further cooling?

Are the 4 RAMs identical?
If not u'll get BSOD...
Its not at all cooling issue...

Any software that could detect these settings and suggest how much more cooling would be required?

HWmonitor

Post the temps after playing any graphics demanding game like Crysis 2...

Last edited:
OP
P

parthi2929

Broken In
Hello
Thanks for the quick reply. Its disappointing that my mobo is not SLI capable. Actually I bought 2 RAMs during assembly of this PC and 2 more after an year. Is there a sw that could detect and tell me if these RAM settings are identical and ok?

I dont use this PC for gaming but for vfx with 3dsmax, premiere pro and after effects mainly.

A core i7 configuration (say, a core i7 mobo, core i7 processor and 16 GB DDR3 RAM) could be a smooth ride for such softwares? If yes, possible to get it under 30k (only mobo, proc and RAM, for now currently I retain gc)

Probably then I could use this mobo along with proc and DDR2 RAMs as HTPC (I suppose this mobo already has internal gc?). Will it be a good HTPC? Purpose would be to play games like NFS in my LED TV without any glitches (it already plays HD movies well).

Regards
Parthiban R

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Hello
Thanks for the quick reply. Its disappointing that my mobo is not SLI capable. Actually I bought 2 RAMs during assembly of this PC and 2 more after an year. Is there a sw that could detect and tell me if these RAM settings are identical and ok?

Do u hav 2 identical pairs of RAM?
For S/W - CPU-Z

I dont use this PC for gaming but for vfx with 3dsmax, premiere pro and after effects mainly.

Ur current config is good for these apps...

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ parthi2929

Hello and welcome to TDF buddy. First of all, use memtest to check all the rams. Download the bootable version of memtest and install it onto a flashdrive. Now boot from the drive and run memtest. The app will run a series of program loops to check your rams and report errors. Post the results here.

As mailme.manju said , mention your cpu and gpu temperatures. Use realtemp to check cpu temp and msi afterburner to check gpu temp. Post all the results and screenshots here.

We will comment after that.

Top Bottom