Upgrade advice (GFX card) 10+year old PC

Sarath

iDota
My gaming PC which has entered its 11th year of service this year seems to have decided to show it's age. I recently shifted the PC from Delhi to Bangalore and that must have somehow hurt the graphics card this time and it's throwing me blue screen of death on windows (no text , plain blue screen) and a 0x00000116 error. I tried booting from a different hard drive with Win 7 on it and it failed just the same giving an error pointing to the graphics card.
The rest of the PC seems to be working fine. I have an SAPPHIRE HD6970 2GB card on an ASUS P8P67 PRO motherboard. Full configuration

Kindly suggest which graphics card, preferably used, that I can upgrade to or anything that will work with my current PC
Any suggestions are highly appreciated

Edited (11-01-2021) : Added Questionnaire

1. Which Power Supply do you have? (Be EXACT while naming the company and model)
Ans: COSAIR GS700

2. What is your budget?
Ans: 10000 (flexible)

3. Which resolution will you game at?
Ans: 1080p

4. What are your current computer specifications?
Ans:
1 PROCESSOR INTEL CORE i5 2500k 10395
2 MOTHERBOARD ASUS P8P67 PRO 12600
3 RAM G-SKILL RIPJAWS F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL 2625
4 GRAPHIC CARD SAPPHIRE HD6970 2GB 21000
5 HDD SEAGATE 1TB 7200.12 RPM 2625
6 DVD WRITTER SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD 945
7 PSU COSAIR GS700 6300
8 CASE NZXT TEMPEST EVO 6300
9 MONITOR DELL ULTRASHARP U2311H 14323
10 MOUSE RAZER IMPERATOR 3150
11 KEYBOARD RAZER ARCTOSA 2158
12 MOUSE PAD STEELSERIES QCK 800
13 UPS APC 1.1KV 4500

Also please note I have already upgraded to a newer system with an Alienware X15 2021 which will handle most of my needs. I just want to keep this PC alive as it contains many programmes I have not been able to find replacements for. As I have to replace only a graphics card to get it working again, I am hoping to squeeze a few more years out of it.

Edit 2: I just realised in my discussion below that for my usage the software was not dependant on the graphics card much for the video editing during the encoding process. So I might not need spend too much on a gfx card. Any budget suggestions are also welcome.
The Desktop PC was orginally assembled in Bangalore then moved to a new residence, then Kolar, Delhi and back to Bangalore, in total having travelled around 4000km+ in all. This time when it was brought from Delhi to Bengaluru it refused to work giving the error 0x00000116 pointing to the video card. Maybe it didn't survive this trip as well as the last few times (always transported marked as fragile by flight and on the front seat with seat belts on land inter/intra city).

There is a piece of software that came with a Sony Camcorder (Moments/ Memories or some name similar sounding) that I had installed on Window 7 a decade ago (Win 7 sits on a seperate HDD that I keep detached inside the PC cabinet). I used it to trim and edit some videos but due to time constraints I was not able to finish the work.

TLDR : My 11 year old desktop graphics card (SAPPHIRE HD6970 2GB) has failed and I need help with suggestions for a replacement

Thank you

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Fill this:
*geek.digit.in/community/threads/graphic-card-buying-advice-template.149373/

Also, consider running the monitor off of your iGPU till the prices come down or you can get a used 1050ti for 7-8k.

Fill this:

Also, consider running the monitor off of your iGPU till the prices come down or you can get a used 1050ti for 7-8k.
+1

Fill questionnaire & try running the display off iGPU by connecting it to mobo

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Fill this:

+1

Fill questionnaire & try running the display off iGPU by connecting it to mobo
The MOBO has no integrated graphics to run on. I will have to replace the graphics card to make it work.

I removed the graphics card and put it back after which miraculously I was able to get my PC working for a while but it gave up after an hour of usage.

I wasn't sure of which gfx card would be suitable but I will take your advice on sourcing a used card for my usage. I have checked a compatible list of graphics card.

This is the worst time to buy a new graphics card looking at the prices. But I have realized I have no other choice.

Thanks for the replies

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
The MOBO has no integrated graphics to run on. I will have to replace the graphics card to make it work.
Won't matter.

Use the display output on mobo (HDMI/VGA/etc) with inbuilt HD 3000

*www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/pr...r-6m-cache-up-to-3-70-ghz/specifications.html

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
The motherboard doesn't have even have VGA. Only runs on discrete graphics card. That was the first thing I checked.

Sorry if I sound rudimentary in my questions but I have been out of touch with tech due to studies for half a decade now.

The only reason I am keeping this PC alive specifically is because there is a piece of software that came with a Sony Camcorder that I had installed on Window 7 a decade ago (Win 7 sits on a seperate HDD that I keep detached inside the PC cabinet). I used it to trim and edit some videos but due to time constraints I was able to finish only 20% of the work which took over a month.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
There is a used Asus GTX 680 2gb direct CU ii graphics card for sale for 6k
Is this considered a fair deal?

Just saw pics of your mobo, indeed it lacks display output on mobo, strange. I had an Intel 1st gen i3 rig more than a decade back which I initially used with iGPU before switching to dGPU.

There is a used Asus GTX 680 2gb direct CU ii graphics card for sale for 6k
Is this considered a fair deal?
Maybe. Its too old of a card honestly & no idea when it will fail, but sadly GPU situation is bad. Maybe buy a new GT 1030 GDDR5 for 8k or cheaper GT 730 to just boot the system.

Top Bottom