Upgradation to Venice 3000, Doubts to be clarified

Status
Not open for further replies.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
After years of years of Intel P100, PIII and AMD 1600+ and having going through and participating in digit and other forums, I have bought AMD 3000 Venice core, A8N-E, Transcend 512 MBx2, Asus N6200 TC, Priya 400 Watts SMPS (the best available in nearby towns- Kollam, Trivandrum), and Sony DRU 810A Writer yesterday evening. I have a few doubts and clarification is requested.

1. The Power Supply to the Mother board (from my SMPS) is 20 pin but the manual mentions it should be 24+4
2. The Ram modules are similar but not dual channel pairs. Will there be any problem?
3. The Asus site says Venice core requires Bios Version 10003 or later for the motherboard. The version is not mentioned in the User Guide. On the covering page on top, it is written E1911. Is it the Bios version?. Also is it safe to upgrade Bios though Windows or DOS or through internet? From the sticker on the box it is seen that it was imported by Rashi in Sept 2005. But the User guide is First Edition, January 2005.
4. Once I assemble it, can I install Win 98SE? It seems it is not supported. Anyway I have ordered for XP Home (of course original)

Thanking you in anticipation,javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Laughing
V.Prem Kumar

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Most newer motherboards require a 24 pin power supply. However, in case your PSU does not come with a 24 pin connector, you can always purchase an adaptor that will convert your 20 pin connector into a 24 pin one. Even though the memories are not dual channel, you can still safely use them as long as you follow the instructions on your motherboard manual for inserting RAM in single channel mode. Yes, its safe for you to download and install a newer BIOS version from the Internet, and since you seem to have a newer Asus board, those things recover gracefully from screwed up BIOS installs, (just in case you DO screw up) And installing Windows 98 on such a machine is not really recommended, for the best performance try using Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Kniwor

Learner
I think i've posted to a similar thread earlier with exactly same questions...so i guess u've posted double...

read ur manual and there should be instructions how to connect 20 pin PSU on 24 pin connector...or u can get a 20 to 24 pin converter...both will work the same so dont spend ur money if u can connect the 20 pin to ur mobo...

ram is no problem...

Assemble the PC first and see if it detects the proc propery before flashing the BIOS..and those numbers are not BIOS versions...I think since it's new mobo it will already have a reasonably new BIOS...so u'll not need an upgrade there...

I tink u should be able to install Win98...

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Kniwor said:
I think i've posted to a similar thread earlier with exactly same questions...so i guess u've posted double...

read ur manual and there should be instructions how to connect 20 pin PSU on 24 pin connector...or u can get a 20 to 24 pin converter...both will work the same so dont spend ur money if u can connect the 20 pin to ur mobo...

ram is no problem...

Assemble the PC first and see if it detects the proc propery before flashing the BIOS..and those numbers are not BIOS versions...I think since it's new mobo it will already have a reasonably new BIOS...so u'll not need an upgrade there...

I tink u should be able to install Win98...

It is heard that it is possible to recover a crashed Bios, (in case it happens) using Bios recovery CD in case of Asus boards. But I received only one CD in the motherboard box. Is it the same CD which can be used to recover the Bios? (The sticker on the box says my board was imported in September)
I have seen in an MSI site that NForce 3/4 do not support Win 98
BTW I received my Win XP (original) but I still have to assemble, being quite too busy with my Job. (non computer related.

Thanking you all

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
It is heard that it is possible to recover a crashed Bios, (in case it happens) using Bios recovery CD in case of Asus boards. But I received only one CD in the motherboard box. Is it the same CD which can be used to recover the Bios?
Yep, it is the same cd. Just make sure you place the cd in the cdtray and then restart the comp.
For most OC related bios behaviour, you can just switch off the comp for a minute and then swtch it back on. It's called a CPR.

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
siriusb said:
It is heard that it is possible to recover a crashed Bios, (in case it happens) using Bios recovery CD in case of Asus boards. But I received only one CD in the motherboard box. Is it the same CD which can be used to recover the Bios?
Yep, it is the same cd. Just make sure you place the cd in the cdtray and then restart the comp.
For most OC related bios behaviour, you can just switch off the comp for a minute and then swtch it back on. It's called a CPR.

If it is so simple, then why everybody in the forum say that flashing the bios is a risky business?

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
janitha said:
siriusb said:

If it is so simple, then why everybody in the forum say that flashing the bios is a risky business?

Is siriusb out of station? If so, somebody else please clarify.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Flashing the bios can be a risky business if u have a cheaper board which don't have such recovery features like cpr or bootable motherboard cds. Gigabyte mobo has dual bios. But bios flash failure is not very common, so the recovery options are more like a luxury. However, it would be wise to avoid anything wrong and follow the procedure correctly.

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
siriusb said:
Flashing the bios can be a risky business if u have a cheaper board which don't have such recovery features like cpr or bootable motherboard cds. Gigabyte mobo has dual bios. But bios flash failure is not very common, so the recovery options are more like a luxury. However, it would be wise to avoid anything wrong and follow the procedure correctly.

May I know what "cpr" is? I searched wikipaedia but without avail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom