Padawan
Hi friends

The following is my present configuration:

Processor : Core2Duo E4400 2.0Ghz
Motherboard : Intel DG965RY
RAM : 1 X 512 DDR2 @ 667Mhz
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 798MB plus

And I want to upgrade it with this :
I need a widescreen (My choice : Dell E228WFP), a graphics card (8800GT, i guess) and some more RAM.

My Demands:
As I am buying a widescreen and that too 22". I won't buy any other in the future. I have read only positive points of this screen and will be more than satisfied if it suits my work load.
I spend the whole day in front of computer.
I do more of coding (I am pursuing my Bachelor's degree ) and now starting image editing and web designing (4-5hrs a day) and i also play games sometimes.

The thing is that I don't want to compromise with performance and can't upgrade the whole rig because I only plan to work on this hardware for 2-3yrs (I will keep the widescreen and graphics card with me).

Also is my motherboard pcie16x 1.0 or 2.0 ?
I know 8800gt will degrade and work at half but still tell me how much will it effect performance and other things i might need to know.

P.S.
I will ask other questions depending on how things shape up. Please try to reply at your earliest as I will be leaving on this saturday to kolkata and will come back when I will just have 10-12 days left so I gotta order dell screen a lil earlier. Thanks in advance.

Cm'on where are all hardware geeks? Off for a vacation or something. huh?

Last edited:
OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
dell 22" is of 10400 and whats the price of 8800gt in delhi?
I also wanted 2GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM.
Will my processor and motherboard be able to utilize the card fully or it will bottleneck the full potential? Please clarify.

mastermunj

In the zone
Dell 22" at 10400????? where?????

8800GT will cost u around 12k

2GB DDR2 Transcend will cost you another 2k

Why don't you wait for some more time and upgrade ur pc completely..

ATI has launched 2 new graphics card which are very good performer... this can bring down price of 8800GT..

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
The link to DELL is in my first post only. 3days earlier it was available for (9k+) + taxbut i missed it. I can see now they have removed the discount they were earlier offering.

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
mah bad
that 22" screen costs 14.5k in india + taxes

someone told me about LG widescreen 22" at ~ 12.5k

how good are they in widescreen market.
Also recommend me any other widescreens >19" (those are <=15k)

cooldip10

In the zone
I went to Nehru place a couple of days back..
They are having a good range of LCD monitors.. a 19" wide screen will cost you around 9.5K.
Try AOC monitors. The contrast ratio is 3000:1. Good for monitor atleast . DVI input.
Other options which I saw LG, Samsung.
You will definitely get a 22" wide screen <15K..

BTW where in Delhi do you live??
I am from Vasant Kunj

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
Yeah I am looking for a LG. Any issues with them?
here are 2 of them:
*www.in.lge.com/Product/Products-Details.aspx?cat=171&pid=6376&subcat=LCD
*www.in.lge.com/Product/Products-Details.aspx?cat=171&pid=4779&subcat=LCD

I am from PUSA (near Patel nagar)

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
please be descriptive.
how much does ati radeon hd 4850 costs?
I am sure greater than 8800gt. Is it one of those launches by ATI which was to bring down the price of 8800gt?

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
yup it is the launch that has brought down the prices of 8800gt..
it will be launched in india soon.. maybe it has been launched.. u will have to find out

vamsi360

Always confused
your motherboard has integrated graphics and i think u have wasted some money for that.
8800GT is very god card but try the new 9600GT or 9800GT.According to digit the new cards are slightly better than 8800GT and are available at a good price about 12000 3 months back.Anyway 8800GT is a very good option.If you are spending so much time infront of your high-end pc then look for a silent graphics card.

You then got to have a good power suply.

Dont go and look for alternatives to the Dell display.It is one of the best available in the market and also the Digit Best Buy!

I like to hear all other's comments.

As for the ram is concerned go for Dual channel ram from corsair dominator available at 2k<2GB<3k.

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
your motherboard has integrated graphics and i think u have wasted some money for that.
8800GT is very god card but try the new 9600GT or 9800GT.According to digit the new cards are slightly better than 8800GT and are available at a good price about 12000 3 months back.Anyway 8800GT is a very good option.If you are spending so much time infront of your high-end pc then look for a silent graphics card.

You then got to have a good power suply.

Dont go and look for alternatives to the Dell display.It is one of the best available in the market and also the Digit Best Buy!

I like to hear all other's comments.

As for the ram is concerned go for Dual channel ram from corsair dominator available at 2k<2GB<3k.

I am upgrading it. Earlier I was using onboard graphics and its now I will be using this PC, so getting a 8800gt.
I am going for evga 8800gt 512DDR3 KnockOut
Will buy a good PSU too.

And may I know which screen was the Digit Best Buy? (I need a 22" screen)

And what does corsair ram have in them that they are selling >2k (low latency or what?)

I was about to go for LG L226WTQ but when I enuired about it that its not currently in stock and LG might have halted its production. Please help. I need to upgrade asap. Please relieve my stress

Last edited:

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
dont buy 8800gt
buy palit ati hd 4850... just look at the performance & u will be blown away.. only 11k

*www.techtree.com/India/Reviews/Palit_HD_4850/551-90821-537.html

Pathik

Google Bot
Some games are optimized to work with Nvidia cards. But that wont be a problem. Also ATi cards may have compatibility problems with older linux distros. Even that has been solved now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom