Unsatisfactory job & career.

srdigit16

In the zone
I'm working as Android developer. I am disappointed with the fact that the code can behave weird on different devices & Android versions. Also as an app developer one problem is the backend of my current company don't seem to be maintained. The apps are quite old. APIs once working often fail. And since the end product is the app, I'm the one who is asked first of what is wrong. Sometimes even on weekends.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So what do you think you can do? Do you have options to change career? Have you tried applying for job at another company?
Or are you thinking to change your career?

If you are being asked to work on weekends you should be compensated for that. If you are not being given bonus then I can assume company culture is not that great. Start looking for new avenues in that case.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
So what do you think you can do? Do you have options to change career? Have you tried applying for job at another company?
Or are you thinking to change your career?

If you are being asked to work on weekends you should be compensated for that. If you are not being given bonus then I can assume company culture is not that great. Start looking for new avenues in that case.
I am considering switching company but wondering how can I avoid such problems, also it is less than an year in current company. Again I will be in a probationary period, which may affect searching partner marriage as the girls family gives max priority to job stability.
Speaking of changing career, an immediate change is not possible & unfortunately I don't have experience in other fields. Although I like reviewing gadgets, 2 wheelers but these may not give stable income & there is no oppurtunity as of now

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Since it's just 1 year at your current company, I think you have little say at your job. People will treat you as junior and senior will want a lot from you.
I think at the start of a career one has to make hard choices when it comes to proving your metal. So you can give the current company a bit more time.

But if you feel you should be treated better and you deserve better, you are of course free to choose a different company.

bubusam13

Human
It would be beneficial if you could share your relevant experience before making any recommendations? The most of the problems you've raised are not really problems at all, yet everyone in IT has to deal with them. And in higher positions, it gets even worse. Assuming you worked independently to create the app, your accountability ends there. The people at the top of your vertical are responsible for all failures, investments, and losses.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Since it's just 1 year at your current company, I think you have little say at your job. People will treat you as junior and senior will want a lot from you.
I think at the start of a career one has to make hard choices when it comes to proving your metal. So you can give the current company a bit more time.

But if you feel you should be treated better and you deserve better, you are of course free to choose a different company.
My total experience in Android is 5 years, I mean the current company I joined 8 months ago.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
It would be beneficial if you could share your relevant experience before making any recommendations? The most of the problems you've raised are not really problems at all, yet everyone in IT has to deal with them. And in higher positions, it gets even worse. Assuming you worked independently to create the app, your accountability ends there. The people at the top of your vertical are responsible for all failures, investments, and losses.
Totally I have 5 years experience as Android developer. In current company I'm working for 8 months. Here the apps were not developed by me from scratch. Currently I'm adding new features & fixing existing bugs to those apps.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Bro, just try your best to switch, applying jobs is a continuous process, you must keep applying everyday and be prepared for interview throughout your career. Im sure you will land a good job.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I'm working as Android developer. I am disappointed with the fact that the code can behave weird on different devices & Android versions. Also as an app developer one problem is the backend of my current company don't seem to be maintained. The apps are quite old. APIs once working often fail. And since the end product is the app, I'm the one who is asked first of what is wrong. Sometimes even on weekends.
This is basically everywhere. What you described is a staple of app development anywhere you go. You just have to learn to manage it somehow.

You could try joining another company, but it's likely that you will face this same scenario there as well. But it doesn't hurt to try.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I am disappointed with the fact that the code can behave weird on different devices & Android versions.

One of the best parts of being an iOS dev is that this is very minimal, nearly all iOS devices behav exactly similar. Androids fragmentation is a curse for the engineers.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, but it's also a huge market. Which is why you have to out up with it.

Then again since the advent of hybrid apps this isn't as big a problem as you'd think.

Top Bottom