• Airtel

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • BSNL

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pratul_09

Journeyman
Thanks Pratul. The sims that you put into the dongle are regular phone sims right? that's why am so worried about roaming. So if I go for a Airtel/Aircel 3G, roaming will not increase my charge or put a cap on my speed ( apart from the network dependency), right?

Will go out and get this one today.
3G roaming is not chargeable unless you are in different network.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Currently only BSNL EVDO is unlimited for 750/pm. Check for coverage in your area before ordering one. Roaming is free in all india Except Delhi & Mumbai. Aircel too provides good 3G plans and if aircel is available in your area it is best 3G option to go for. Otherwise choose Airtel for 3G, they have tie up with vodafone and idea for roaming in 3G.
Let me make one thing clear. The 3G roaming pact between Airtel, Idea and Vodafone you're talking about has been scrapped 3-4 months ago.
Telecom companies' 3G roaming pact illegal: TDSAT - Business News - IBNLive

As far as data card is concerned, IMO, one should look for a Factory Unlocked one to do away with issues of after sales service. Most (if not all) self unlocked data cards do not carry any manufacturer's warranty. There are a variety of factory unlocked data cards to choose from like Huawei, ZTE, Micromax, Lava, Alcatel Lucent, etc to name a few.

Pratul_09

Journeyman
Let me make one thing clear. The 3G roaming pact between Airtel, Idea and Vodafone you're talking about has been scrapped 3-4 months ago.
Telecom companies' 3G roaming pact illegal: TDSAT - Business News - IBNLive

As far as data card is concerned, IMO, one should look for a Factory Unlocked one to do away with issues of after sales service. Most (if not all) self unlocked data cards do not carry any manufacturer's warranty. There are a variety of factory unlocked data cards to choose from like Huawei, ZTE, Micromax, Lava, Alcatel Lucent, etc to name a few.

Just a hint.
DoT To Ask Airtel, Vodafone India and Idea Cellular To Stop 3G Mobile & Data Services via Roaming

Also there is nothing factory unlocked data cards. They are manufactured in the same way, but their firmware and dashboard is not customized for operators. Still such unlocked cards are not available freely. These cards are not subsidized and will cost more compared to manually unlocked cards. So in current scenario it is best to go after manually unlocked cards as they are cheaper and outlive their cost.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Just a hint.
DoT To Ask Airtel, Vodafone India and Idea Cellular To Stop 3G Mobile & Data Services via Roaming
That's what I said. The 3G roaming pact has been stopped.
Also there is nothing factory unlocked data cards. They are manufactured in the same way, but their firmware and dashboard is not customized for operators. Still such unlocked cards are not available freely. These cards are not subsidized and will cost more compared to manually unlocked cards. So in current scenario it is best to go after manually unlocked cards as they are cheaper and outlive their cost.
IMO, the cards which are not bound to an operator are usually called factory unlocked. That means you can put any operator's sim card and start browsing the internet once you get internet activated on your sim. And there are hundreds of factory unlocked data cards available. Though they are expensive than the network locked ones, which initially are cheaper, but in the long run, the operators churn out the premium from you in the form of data & other charges, factory unlocked data cards give you freedom to choose the internet plan and operator that best suits your need, so no need to cry over your data card's poor network.

Moreover the factory (network) unlocked data cards offer you some extra features which the manually unlocked ones don't. I use a Lava 720G data card, which lets you make and receive calls from your computer/laptop, send and receive SMS's and also perform various USSD operations, which is particularly helpful with Prepaid connections and has an excellent data connectivity speed.

Pratul_09

Journeyman
That's what I said. The 3G roaming pact has been stopped.

IMO, the cards which are not bound to an operator are usually called factory unlocked. That means you can put any operator's sim card and start browsing the internet once you get internet activated on your sim. And there are hundreds of factory unlocked data cards available. Though they are expensive than the network locked ones, which initially are cheaper, but in the long run, the operators churn out the premium from you in the form of data & other charges, factory unlocked data cards give you freedom to choose the internet plan and operator that best suits your need, so no need to cry over your data card's poor network.

Moreover the factory (network) unlocked data cards offer you some extra features which the manually unlocked ones don't. I use a Lava 720G data card, which lets you make and receive calls from your computer/laptop, send and receive SMS's and also perform various USSD operations, which is particularly helpful with Prepaid connections and has an excellent data connectivity speed.

Just read the article, DOT has asked Vodafone Idea Airtel(VIA) cartel to stop ICRA. But they are in no mood to listen. There was a loophole in the aggrement that is being exploited by them.

and regarding datacards factory unlocked cards are not subsidized and will cost more compared to network locked cards from operators. You pay more for same features.
IMO Get a locked card, unlock it for free or minimum price and use it. And in any day Huawei or ZTE cards are far advanced and robust compared to iBall, Karbonn, Micromax or Lava.
For eg: Lava 720G costs around 2K whereas a same feature set huawei or zte card can be bought around 1.2K, so why pay more for same feature set.
In the end its individual choice and better left to the person purchasing it.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Ok so finally got the ZTE MF190 @ 1500 bucks. I guess the extra 300 bucks over ebay is worth it since I get to use it today itself. Reliance connection 3GB at Rs. 350 (30 days validity) , still waiting for it to get activated.

Pratul_09

Journeyman
Ok so finally got the ZTE MF190 @ 1500 bucks. I guess the extra 300 bucks over ebay is worth it since I get to use it today itself. Reliance connection 3GB at Rs. 350 (30 days validity) , still waiting for it to get activated.

congrats on your purchase!:beer:

OP
D

dabster

In the zone

And wch city is this. seemingly reliance has evdo only based service for south india.

Last edited:
OP
D

dabster

In the zone
Reliance has pan india cdma spectrum for EVDO. However 3G is available in only big cities.

I hope they would consider Bangalore to be big city ? had called their customer care and they said they don't have 3G in karnataka.
That was the first option Reliance 3g with zte mf190 device - since this was not available in bangalore - this thread was started here.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
@whitestar__999, I've purchased a VODAFONE K3770-Z 3G USB data modem from ZTE.

How do I unlock it? I have Aircel 3G sim also.

How much reliable is this K3770-Z?

It cost me [Rs.1100/- + 4% vat]+ Rs.251/-(1GB for 30days,3G network,prepaid,VODAFONE).
I stay in Kolkata.
Aircel ;VODAFONE speeds (3G) are quite good in our area...

Another,info:--->

I Hope,that I can use it in my newly purchased VeeDee E10 Tablet? Or will there be any issues,regarding usage with Tablet?

Pratul_09

Journeyman
@whitestar__999, I've purchased a VODAFONE K3770-Z 3G USB data modem from ZTE.

How do I unlock it? I have Aircel 3G sim also.

How much reliable is this K3770-Z?

It cost me [Rs.1100/- + 4% vat]+ Rs.251/-(1GB for 30days,3G network,prepaid,VODAFONE).
I stay in Kolkata.
Aircel ;VODAFONE speeds (3G) are quite good in our area...

Another,info:--->

I Hope,that I can use it in my newly purchased VeeDee E10 Tablet? Or will there be any issues,regarding usage with Tablet?

@kg11sgbg how did you purchase a locked card from the manufacturer ie., zte!

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
@kg11sgbg how did you purchase a locked card from the manufacturer ie., zte!

Um,sorry @Pratul for my misquote.The USB 3G modem is manufactured by ZTE but I purchased it from "The Mobile Store" at Park St.,Kolkata.
Network operator is Vodafone.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Um,sorry @Pratul for my misquote.The USB 3G modem is manufactured by ZTE but I purchased it from "The Mobile Store" at Park St.,Kolkata.

Did you check the modem by opening it? I got a vodafone netcruise modem and it doesn't contain any pins on the sim card slot, so unlocking it will not allow me to change the sim. Just check if something similar hasn't been done to your modem.

Pratul_09

Journeyman

This is already unlocked modem, you just need to use a new dashboard software.
You can learn more about this @ www.mymodem.in. Search for the correct model and install new dashboard. If any query then just ask here.

Pratul_09

Journeyman
Did you check the modem by opening it? I got a vodafone netcruise modem and it doesn't contain any pins on the sim card slot, so unlocking it will not allow me to change the sim. Just check if something similar hasn't been done to your modem.

netcruise is actually MTS service sold under vodafone name. you will need to visit nearby cell shop to install a sim tray and unlocking this is through CDMA workshop.

Top Bottom