Unique / Interesting stuff thread

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Hey,
Thanks to the internet and popularity of ecommerce loads and loads of interesting, innovate and useful items and gadgets and 'things' in general have become available to online buyers. Cost is also extremely reasonable in many cases.
This thread is for sharing knowledge of interesting items.

Setting some informal thread guidelines-

1. Avoid 'thanks' 'cool' comments.
2. Questions in separate thread please.

Basically let this thread be about just items.

3. If posting item/s consider including name of item, in case links go down
4. Feel free to include non-electronic items, DIY stuff, useless toys (magnets), novelty items
5. NO AFFILIATE LINKS !
6. DELIVERABLE IN INDIA

That's it!
Check my next post for things I came across.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Cheap Eink writing boards. start @ 10-12$ .
*www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.i3G7oK-wCUNJaNZBpbxLFgHaFv&w=236&h=183&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

These look great. Requires just a button battery, advertised battery life of 2 years. Meant for temporary notes/fridge messages. Available on Aliexpress

Portable Free Standing Badminton Poles and net:

A full badminton net and poles set, that can be assembled and disassembled.
*ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB16AftKXXXXXXTaXXXq6xXFXXXU/2015-New-Quick-Start-Portable-Removable-Foldable-Badminton-Net-Stand-Badminton-Post-Sports-Width-Adjustbale-3.jpg_640x640.jpg
I actually bought this. Don't have anyone to play with, so its lying around. 77$ + Rs. 800 customs. Similar item on amazon.in is Rs.20000 .
Requires 5 minutes to setup atleast. One guy can set it up if he knows what he is doing. But usually requires 2 people. Assembling can be pretty confusing for new people. Once assembled works really well, no chance of falling. Court lines were sorely missed though...

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Here are two items which I purchased and found cool:

Self Steering Mug (requires batteries):
*images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61EiITny3xL._SL1024_.jpg
*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B06VXNP2M8/

Night lamp (with light sensor, so only turns on when it's dark):
*images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41JSMOdxu8L.jpg
*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B078GXZWX6/

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Wish app has all sorts of crazy things. Might take about two months to deliver though. Payments with debit cards do not work.

LOTR Ring
Toothpick Crossbow
Magnetic Claw Grabber
Magnetic Putty
Eye of Agamotto
Waterproof solar charger
Mini Karaoke mic
This sticker

and perhaps the coolest thing ever made, the Telescopic Magnet

Last edited:
OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
UV light glue: Rs. 150 - 500+
Had special liquid. Put liquid on broken stuff. Turn stick around and fire UV light on liquid for 5 seconds and the liquid hardens.
Had bought from amazon.in , but too many fakes, duplicates. Got one with empty liquid refill. Had to return.
Also I have no idea about safety of UV light source.

*ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1VV5vdDvI8KJjSspjq6AgjXXa6/5-Second-Fix-UV-Light-Repair-Tool-With-Glue-Super-Powered-Liquid-Plastic-Welding-Refill-or.jpg_220x220.jpg

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Resistance Bands | Resistance Tubes (Exercise Tubes) : Exercise material. I was advised to get a resistance band for a shoulder injury. And I loved it! Its like a mini gym, sort of.
Basically they are very stretchable bands and ropes. Come in various shapes and sets and strengths. loops, open bands, tubes, ropes, some with removeable handles etc..

*images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91j%2BCbpJviL._SX679_.jpg
*i.imgur.com/9K2xgcS.jpg?1
IMP: You want good quality ones or risk smacking yourself with a one that breaks on stretching, LOADS of fake duplicate stuff out there.

Whole set of about 5 ropes with some handles seems to cost Rs. 1500. Bands - Rs. 800 .
Don't know the best/ideal price, Rs. 1500 feels good. I had bought just 1 open band locally @ Rs. 600

Suggestion: These are very versatile. see youtube for exercises that can be done with these.

Last edited:
OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Tack it - Reuseable gum - Rs. 100

*m.media-amazon.com/images/S/aplus-media/sota/58424cc5-0daa-4526-b591-0c913cde8934._CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970__.jpg

The great thing is they are removeable and even reuseable. Can make any surface magnetic, in the sense anything can be stuck anywhere. Like chewing gum. Except they don't go dry/hard and are not gross.
Not strong, but can be easily applied and reapplied for a variety of uses. I used them for creating hooks to hang wires, covering annoying LED lights , making sure wires don't come between a door , turn normal paper into sticky notes and you get the idea. Very useful. Highly recommended

Oh and the original concept is some foreign blutack thing. Can't comment on that, it is available on amazon though.. This faber castell works well

Discussion/Questions here please

Last edited:
OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Needles for those with poor eyesight. Rs. 50 for 10 pieces

This one was introduced to me by my mom :D . Picture explains :

*ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1QPcnb7fb_uJkSnfoq6z_epXaa/Hot-Elderly-Needle-side-Hole-Blind-Needless-threading-hand-household-Sewing-Manual-DIY-Home-Sewing.jpg_640x640.jpg

Needles where its (supposed to be) easy for anyone to put in the thread. Ordered 15 days ago, but seller is using a slower method of shipping. Advertised one was fast. Will probably have to dispute on aliexpress.. Should also be available on desi ecommerce. Try "Elderly Needle" "Blind needle" threading needles"

Click here to go to discussions thread.

Last edited:
OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Full page magnification sheets - A4, A5 Rs. 60 - 150
*ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1dXpSQXXXXXcYapXXq6xXFXXXz/A4-Full-Page-3x-Magnifier-Sheet-Large-Magnifying-Glass-Book-Reading-Aid-Lens-Wholesale.jpg_640x640.jpg

Large A4 type sheet for magnifying large areas for reading. Magnification is 3x. Probably for reading. I used it to magnifying mobile screen with mixed results. The magnification was good. BUT the light from screen was reflecting too much at odd angles.
Bought one sheet for myself. But was such a hit among neighbourhood uncles/aunties. I ended up ordering 6 more.

Cheaper/smaller A5 here.

Click here to go to discussions thread.

Last edited:
OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Glue Gun. Not unique. Very known actually, but I have observed it not so widely used in Indian households.
What it is? Gun melts plastic sticks. plastic hardens and joins stuff pretty quickly. Very handy. Like a super fast fevicol.

Gun costs Rs. 200+. I got one aliexpress, but easily available locally.

Get 7mm 20W / 40W one. My 20W 7mm is great. glue sticks available separately - Cheapest I found (25 sticks for Rs. 180)
For gun, this one looks good *www.amazon.in/Wadro-Colour-Sticks-...=20w&qid=1554879306&s=home-improvement&sr=1-6
*images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41g%2B%2BmqNWaL.jpg

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Magic erasor. melamine foam. Melamine is used for soundproofing, turns out its great for cleaning as well.
Cleans stuff. Have used it. Its easy. and does work like magic. Needs some moisture, no soap.
Not completely reuseable. breaks down little by little. But still lasts long enough.

Very Cheap! Aliexpress: Rs. 65 for 10 . Big bazaar: Rs. 50 for one :/ . Though Aliexpress with free shipping may take 2 months, if it arrives.

Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
*ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1CS2aLFXXXXX6XpXXq6xXFXXXZ/10-pcs-kitchen-sanitary-magic-sponge-eraser-pad-easy-foaming-nano-melamine-sponge-cleaner-multi-functional.jpg_220x220xz.jpg

Discuss here please : Unique / Interesting stuff discussion thread

Last edited:
OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Metal Puzzles! GO to aliepxress , search for 'metal puzzles'
oh man I can't believe I didn't post about these. Very fun puzzles that are a major hit with everyone. Highly recommended!
Idea: 2 or more metal pieces intertwined, that have to be separated after twisting and turning them in precious ways.

*ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1.YZDe9_I8KJjy0Foq6yFnVXa6.jpg?size=117400&height=464&width=800&hash=a092e033ce976acdeeed529af9f9f9f0

Cost: 150-200 got me 8 of these. 550 got me 18 US $8.18 27% OFF|New arrival 18PCS/Set Metal Puzzle IQ Mind Brain Teaser Magic Wire Puzzles Game Toys Solutio for Children Adults-in Puzzles from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
First I got 8 pieces, then 18 , then another 8 set :D

FYI: aliexpress is goldmine for puzzles.

Last edited:
OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Reusable Erasable Spiral A5 Notebook -
Notebook made from special 'paper' . Its erased with a damp cloth, or with the back of the pen or just microwaved!
Second feature: Convert written to digital, using a companion app that uses small dots printed on the notebook.
Needs special pen for the erasing feature to work properly.
*ae01.alicdn.com/kf/UTB8DxJPDiaMiuJk43PTq6ySmXXar/2019-Elfinbook-Smart-Reusable-Erasable-Spiral-A5-Notebook-Paper-Notepad-Pocketbook-Diary-Journal-Office-School-Drawing.jpg

13$ - Rs. 950 . Maybe pricey for a notebook. I am sure there are other apps that can convert normal notebooks to digital. Just a guess. Won't buy it. Am tempted to. But don't have any need.
Elfinbook Smart Reusable Erasable Spiral A5 Notebook

There more such devices. Lots of generic chinese ones on aliexpress as well. This one is fairly popular.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Honestly, if I were to write on a notebook the main reason would be it's ability to hold "forever". With apps like camscanner that scan paper or even blackboards so well I don't believe its worth investing in such a notebook.
Being environment friendly is a whole different thing though.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Interesting Book light : About 3$
*www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&SearchText=creative+book+light
There is a plastic sheet. light comes from led bulbs on the side and spreads across the glass. It maybe better to cover the sides so that distracting light does not leak , as can be seen in the pics. This is how a laptop screen is also illuminated btw.
Haven't used. Light seems a lil uneven. Watch youtube vids...

*ae01.alicdn.com/kf/He3c31c8da0bc47909812869e4518c68f1.jpeg

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
^ @Nerevarine : check aliexpress for 'booklight'
Exercise Band: Strong Elastic bands. Used for a variety of exercises. I posted one that was similar, but way more expensive.
I bought this one for 499, and am very happy with it: *www.amazon.in/Kobo-AC-32-33-34-Resistance-Powerband-Multicolour/dp/B01JELOAGK/ . Right now it costs 800 . Has 3 different bands of different strengths. perfect.

*images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/612g7UNH40L._SL1062_.jpg

See youtube for the type of exercises that can be done.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
The booklight made for kindle directly fire bright led light.. Something like that u linked made specifically for kindle would be awesome as its like natural diffuse lighting..

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
I hate suggesting during coronavirus, but..
Nano tape / monkey grip
*mlcykfcbvcxl.i.optimole.com/w:382/h:382/q:90/*aisleinfinity.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/2_1M-5M-Nano-Magic-Tape-Double-Sided-Tape-Transparent-No-Trace-Acrylic-Reuse-Waterproof-Adhesive-Tape.jpg

This is a reuseable tape . Very interesting stuff. Works using vaccum. The way a toilet cleaning plunger works. press create vaccum. Same thing.
Has tiny nano pores. When they get filled, it loses its stick. Wash to clear pores and make it sticky. Very strong! Don't use on walls. remove slow.
Best thing is it can be sticky and non-sticky at the same time.

Can't buy it now of ofcouse. But : *www.amazon.in/NANO-TAPE/s?k=NANO-TAPE

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Resistance Bands | Resistance Tubes (Exercise Tubes) : Exercise material. I was advised to get a resistance band for a shoulder injury. And I loved it! Its like a mini gym, sort of.
Basically they are very stretchable bands and ropes. Come in various shapes and sets and strengths. loops, open bands, tubes, ropes, some with removeable handles etc..

*images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91j%2BCbpJviL._SX679_.jpg
*i.imgur.com/9K2xgcS.jpg?1
IMP: You want good quality ones or risk smacking yourself with a one that breaks on stretching, LOADS of fake duplicate stuff out there.

Whole set of about 5 ropes with some handles seems to cost Rs. 1500. Bands - Rs. 800 .
Don't know the best/ideal price, Rs. 1500 feels good. I had bought just 1 open band locally @ Rs. 600

Suggestion: These are very versatile. see youtube for exercises that can be done with these.
Are you using them? Do they really help in keeping one fit?

Top Bottom