Uninstall OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz

Broken In
I've got XP SP3 on C and XP starter edition on D drive. How do I remove the starter edition?
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to this.

awww

Banned
I've got XP SP3 on C and XP starter edition on D drive. How do I remove the starter edition?

just login to the sp3 and format the d: drive
then use fixboot fixmbr commands to fix the boot options

OP
B

Buzz

Broken In
I have a lot of other stuff on D so I can't format it. And could you please explain those commands a bit, I'm kind of a novice:-D

OP
B

Buzz

Broken In
Maybe I could just delete the Windows Starter Edition folder in D: and then run those commands?

smile

In the zone
@Buzz : Go to Boot.ini file & delete the entry which u dont require.:mrgreen::mrgreen: It will be completely deleted & will not show up

MAK

Broken In
Delete the entry in boot.ini file

boot.ini is located in c drive.....

then del windows folder in d

OP
B

Buzz

Broken In
Won't deleting the windows folder and the boot entry leave a lot of entries in the registry?

Dark Core

Freak Beta 1
Start | Run -> Type 'msconfig' in Windows XP SP3.

Goto Boot Tab and delete the entry that say 'Windows XP Starter Edition' or similar to that.

Reboot the PC, You should see the system booting into XP SP3 without giving you the option of selection the OS.

Now u can safely delete the Windows, Program Files.. etc Folders inside the D drive

Dark Core

Freak Beta 1
Start | Run -> Type 'msconfig' in Windows XP SP3.

Goto Boot Tab and delete the entry that say 'Windows XP Starter Edition' or similar to that.

Reboot the PC, You should see the system booting into XP SP3 without giving you the option of selection the OS.

Now u can safely delete the Windows, Program Files.. etc Folders inside the D drive

Aspire

Padawan

1. Login to your computer using Windows XP SP3 which is on C Partition.
2. Open D:/
3. Backup any important data
4. Go bact to My Computer
5. Right Click D:
6. Select Format
7. You're Done

:smile:

OP
B

Buzz

Broken In
@ Black Core,
That still leaves the problem of registry entries. Will they affect the performance of my computer?

@lomash,
I do not have enough space on this drive or another drive so I cannot back-up.

josephcs

Tech Freak
Mate, be informed that your Windows Starter (on D:) will not have registry entries stored on your SP3 (on C:). Both are independent. The best solution would be to remove the entry from boot.ini (or msconfig>>boot) and then to remove Windows folders (Windows, Doc & Set, and few other files) from your D:\ . You don't have to format your D: for this.

OP
B

Buzz

Broken In
@ josephcs,
Thanks a lot. I've been waiting a long time to get rid of Starter edition.
Does this mean I now have two registries on my computer, one for XPsp3 and one for Starter?

OP
B

Buzz

Broken In
@ josephcs,
Does this mean I now have two registries on my computer, one for XPsp3 and one for Starter?

@ josephcs,
Yeah. That is the case always. Two different OSes will have registries independent of each other. You dont have to worry about them getting mixed up at any point of time..

Anyway coming back to your problem.

It's best if you remove the "Starter Edition" entry from your boot.ini file (as others have mentioned.)

Then restart the PC and see if its booting with XP with SP3. If it is, then you can delete the WINDOWS folder in the "Starter Edition" drive and you are done. :)

josephcs

Tech Freak
@ josephcs,
Obviously! Every single OS has its own registry and does not have any relation with any other OS installed on the HDD. Just as thewisecrab said.

Also,
I don't there will be yet another boot.ini in the other OS. Boot.ini is located only in the System/Boot drive of the PC. So there will be 1 Boot.ini totally :) CMIIW

OP
B

Buzz

Broken In
Just one little thing. I could not delete the entry from msconfig. I had to right click My Computer select Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery. Over there is a button to edit the startup options file manually. After that everything went fine.

josephcs

Tech Freak
Just one little thing. I could not delete the entry from msconfig. I had to right click My Computer select Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery. Over there is a button to edit the startup options file manually. After that everything went fine.
Yeah. That allows you to choose which OS you wish to boot as default one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom