Unexpected shutdown...twice

OSxSnowLeopard

Journeyman
Apc ups comes with inbuilt surge protection, there is no need of installing or using third party surge protector specially with some low amp rating for pc, which usually ask 13-15amp or even high amp. Surge protectors from belkin ment for electronic goods like lcd tv, DVD players, ect not for heavy hardwares with higher power requirements. I use belkin surge protector for tv, set top box and xbox, but not with pc. You should reinstall apc utility software immediately and see what kind of problem ups is reporting, for example: if ups is overloading than its actual capacity or giving battery problem ect.

agyaat

Broken In
Wall->Surge protector ->UPS->PSU is the normal thing.

Wall->UPS->Surge protector->PSU is not recommended, and highly advised against due to considerations of load tolerance/rating and the possible effects in case its load maxes out due to too many devices plugged into the surge protector which is now drawing from the UPS. It is considered passable as long as the load is way well with in the rating of the UPS, but even this set up can lead to minor burnt parts in some cases.

shitanshu

Broken In
Guys i am facing the same problem and i was advised to change the ram on this one
now i have a gskill 4 gb 1333 mhz sbut tue problem occured after just half hour of installing the nw ram
what should i do
please read my computer specs on my only post please help me out on this one

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
Re: Unexpected shutdown...twice...now thrice

I am not sure but it looks like that as there is no dump file of the crash. This means it is kind of external power failure.
Can you cross check with another PSU?

+1 for this PSU failing in running vlc ?? not likely dude!

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
And so ends this thread? It looks like a PSU issue.

When you say the power-on switch on the cabinet doesn't respond, it seems like you boot directly from the PSU without touching those switches once again. That is one of the flags for PSU issues. In some cases, clearing the CMOS is required for each boot.

What do you tell them as you RMA?

If you do have it tested(recommended), I believe you will find the 12volt line a little low, nearer to 11v and far away from the official tolerance limit of 11.4v. A good PSU would supply ~12v(+/- 0.05v) constantly.

In case you don't test it up first, tell them the details as you mentioned here, and/or with the note that you suspect low voltage from the PSU.
just RMAed the PSU. Nothing needs to be told.

Apc ups comes with inbuilt surge protection, there is no need of installing or using third party surge protector specially with some low amp rating for pc, which usually ask 13-15amp or even high amp. Surge protectors from belkin ment for electronic goods like lcd tv, DVD players, ect not for heavy hardwares with higher power requirements. I use belkin surge protector for tv, set top box and xbox, but not with pc. You should reinstall apc utility software immediately and see what kind of problem ups is reporting, for example: if ups is overloading than its actual capacity or giving battery problem ect.

Wall->Surge protector ->UPS->PSU is the normal thing.

Wall->UPS->Surge protector->PSU is not recommended, and highly advised against due to considerations of load tolerance/rating and the possible effects in case its load maxes out due to too many devices plugged into the surge protector which is now drawing from the UPS. It is considered passable as long as the load is way well with in the rating of the UPS, but even this set up can lead to minor burnt parts in some cases.

Wall->UPS->Surge protector->PSU

the corsair 450vx power cable comes with straight pins unlike our Indian plug pins which is round. If i remove the surge where should i plug in the PSU
power cable as APC does not have the appropriate socket? Hence it is
Wall->UPS->Surge protector->PSU . Any other way ?

agyaat

Broken In
just RMAed the PSU. Nothing needs to be told.

Wall->UPS->Surge protector->PSU

the corsair 450vx power cable comes with straight pins unlike our Indian plug pins which is round. If i remove the surge where should i plug in the PSU
power cable as APC does not have the appropriate socket? Hence it is
Wall->UPS->Surge protector->PSU . Any other way ?

There are socket adapters available in the market for that at a less than Rs.50 or Rs.100 kind of price. Any local Electrical & Hardware store will usually keep a stock of them. More so now-a-days because these things are very prevalent. Best would be to show the exact plug head to the seller as you ask for the adapter, since in the flat ones too, some times one pin is wider at the end than the other, and the ground pin in many cases is either optional or similarly flat shaped.

Last edited:
OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
There are socket adapters available in the market for that at a less than Rs.50 or Rs.100 kind of price. Any local Electrical & Hardware store will usually keep a stock of them. More so now-a-days because these things are very prevalent. Best would be to show the exact plug head to the seller as you ask for the adapter, since in the flat ones too, some times one pin is wider at the end than the other, and the ground pin in many cases is either optional or similarly flat shaped.

ok.

let us know if changing psu helps or not??

of course. will let people know after sunday. I am going to rebuild, i repeat REBUILD my system on that day. So keep watching LATEST PURCHASE thread after Sunday.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
bought a universal socket for PSU plug.
This

INR 35.

Thanks agyaat.

P.S. due to unavoidable reason i have to postpone the rebuilding of my system from 19th to 26 Feb.

Top Bottom