Understanding DATA card (Basics)

inwell

Broken In
Hi,
I have least knowledge regarding 3g technology. But wish to buy a data card (usb modem) for 3g surfing.
We get various modems mentioning 3/5/7/14/21 Mbps speeds...
I wish to know which one should i buy..? do the service provider co. provides that speed ?
So
1. if i have idea 3g connection and 21Mbps modem will i get that speed..? or i need to ask IDEA to give me the 21 Mbps plan ?

so why this differernt speed modems..? AFIT 21 mbps modem will always work with any speed below that ?

hank you

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
check service provider's website to see how much speed they provide & remember that this is the max possible speed not the average speed.in some ares you will get max speed in certain hours(like off-peak time) but not during peak hours.speed also depends on your distance from local cell tower.because of all this factors only way to know for sure how much speed you will get is by trying first.rule of thumb is get the max speed modem possible in your budget & then take the connection of that provider which has best speeds in your area.companies advertise more speed modems as they are more profitable to sell because of their higher price.

OP
I

inwell

Broken In
thanx whitestar

so as we get in wired broadband..do the 3g service providers offer different plans for diff bandwidth ?
(we get BB connection like 512k or 1Mbps or 2Mbps etc..same way do i need to ask service provider for 3mbps or 7 or 14 mbps speed connection..?)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
no.all 3g plans from a provider can give you max speed possible on 3g depending on the area.however you may have heard of 4g launch in India but if not read this:
*www.airtel.in/forme/wireless-internet/4g_lte/4g_lte_faqs/4g_faqs
4g provides even more speed than max possible speeds on 3g but is available in few areas & you need a costly 4g LTE modem(but it will work with 3g too).

OP
I

inwell

Broken In
thank you...

last query in this regards...

so we get diff modems with diff speeds..so what type of modem do we get in Mobile handset..? always highest speed supporting ? or every mobile has diff modem in it (from 3mbps to 21mbps)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
every mobile has different max speed supporting 3g modem(for 3g phones) & usually the costlier/newer the phone more speed the modem has.my ancient nokia N73 has max 384kbps(download,upload is even slower) 3g modem while the sony xperia M has max 21mbps(download speed)/5.76mbps(upload speed) 3g modem.
Sony Xperia M - Full phone specifications

Top Bottom