Unable to game after 5-10 minutes of gaming

WhizKID

Assassin Apprentice
Hi,
I have recently updated from Windows 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro and am facing some issues while playing games. For the first 5-10 minutes the games run fine but then suddenly the FPS starts to drop, and at one stage the game becomes unplayable. If I restart the game then I can play it fine again for 5-10 mins and again the same loop. I have the below configuration:

i5-2400 - 3.1GHz
8GB DDR3
Zotac NVIDIA 650 Ti Boost - 2 GB GDDR5
1 TB HDD

I tried playing Counter Strike: Source, Tomb Raider (2013) and Doom 3: BFG Edition.

However, this is only happening with these Win32 apps, since I can play Asphalt 8: Airborne, Overkill 3 and other heavy games from the Windows Store easily, without any hiccups.

I have already checked for various infections and I'm using Comodo Premium Internet Security (AV+FW). I am now kind of out of options. And yes, I did also try cleaning out the physical dust from the system to make sure it is no hardware issue. But till now haven't been able to resolve this. I have the latest set of drivers and I remember having this same problem with Windows 8.1 from a few days before the transition to W10, so this is not a W10 issue or driver issue as well.

PS: I am not exactly a noobie so please dont hesitate in giving risky solutions :p

Please help people, thanks! I am somehow suspecting a virus infection

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Try running them in compatibility mode while configuring the game to run on dGPU instead of iGPU. Most of the times iGPU is selected by default.

Also run dxdiag and post screen shots.

OP
W

WhizKID

Assassin Apprentice
Capture.PNG

Tried compatibility with Windows 7/8 not working. Frame rate in CSS drops from ~290 to 18-20! :( attaching dxdiag for Display

- - - Updated - - -

CPU usage is nothing! Hardly hitting 20%, RAM not being used more than 2GB and even though haven't checked temperature through software, from overview I can say it isn't running really hot :/

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
View attachment 15774

Tried compatibility with Windows 7/8 not working. Frame rate in CSS drops from ~290 to 18-20! :( attaching dxdiag for Display

- - - Updated - - -

CPU usage is nothing! Hardly hitting 20%, RAM not being used more than 2GB and even though haven't checked temperature through software, from overview I can say it isn't running really hot :/

Forum attachments don't work. Upload to imgur.

Install HWMonitor and post screen shot after 15-20 minutes of playing games.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
*i.imgur.com/c0ftFXj.jpg

Weird.

*forums.geforce.com/default/topic/8...indows-10-upgrade-and-nvidia-drivers-update-/

Try this:
Ok forget the BIOS thing! I just chatted with support again and he gave me this solution :

Open "NVIDIA Control Panel" > "3D Settings" > "Manage 3D Settings" > "Global Settings"

a. Power management mode - Prefer maximum performance
b. Vertical sync- Off
c. Threaded optimization - off
d. Triple buffering - off
Please set to these settings and click on apply.

I did that and my FPS has returned! Hope it works for you guys too!

EDIT : I just now tried turning "Threaded optimization" back on and it still worked, so you can leave that one on if you want to maybe. It was most likely the "Power Management mode" being set to "adaptive" that caused the issues.

OP
W

WhizKID

Assassin Apprentice
Tried this too but not working.... This in fact lowered the time of FPS reduction to 2-3 mins. :( I am starting to suspect of this as some serious virus infection (pssst... I have lots of pirated games!)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Did you install any new software ? Try uninstalling.

Check the temperature of CPU and GPU too. Use Open hardware monitor and enable "Show plot" from View menu.

OP
W

WhizKID

Assassin Apprentice
Tried everything, no use... Backing up and performing a clean install of Windows 8 then will upgrade my way to 10 :p

Honestly, I think it is Comodo but I'm suspicious. I think there is some issue between working of Comodo Antivirus and NVIDIA drivers (seemed to be affecting their install as well)

Top Bottom