Ultra high end gaming rig

OP
V

vishalselvan

Broken In
before jumping around screaming crossfire and SLI, ponder a bit on the phenomenon of microstutter. single gpu setups are way better than multi gpu. microstutter can make 120FPS feel like 20FPS. read articles. ask on forums and decide before you jump in.

the H100 is Completely safe. otherwise corsair wouldnt have released it. btw, AFAIK, it doesnt use water. it uses a non-conductive liquid coolant with high specific heat capacity. incase you spring a leak, your hardware will not short circuit.

if you are going for Gaming only, then i7 is overkill. i5 will perform cool. even with Crysis 3 on highest settings [it recommends i7 for highest settings].

and if you sit around for the next gen GPUs, and purchase them on launch, your budget will exceed. better go with a 7950, OC it to within 7970 levels [or simply go for a 7970, wateva] and then change it when the price of the next gen GPUs settle down.

oh and going for a K-series proccy and not OCing it is Criminal. ;)

Duly noted!! oh yeah,i read a bit about the micro stuttering!! The thing is I've been dying to play on triple monitor and well,the only way to do that is with a dual gpu. Thanks for your info 'bout the h100,will definitely get it(hope it's easy to install!)

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Yes its easy to install. comes with thumbscrews and all.. but if you ask me, i am a Tool man. i dont trust thumbscrews.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Duly noted!! oh yeah,i read a bit about the micro stuttering!! The thing is I've been dying to play on triple monitor and well,the only way to do that is with a dual gpu. Thanks for your info 'bout the h100,will definitely get it(hope it's easy to install!)

Go for SLI if you want to play in triple monitors. 680 sli or even 670 sli is your best bet.

Next week, hardocp will publish a review of asus gtx 670 dcII 4gb in SLI and compare it with various setups including 7950 and 7970 crossfire. That will really help to cement your decision.

Thanks guys!!
Alright man,will do,I'll just have to get an okay from my dad coz the budget I put forth was 1.5 lakh with the cheaper cabinet and cm psu and without the liquid cooler.Do I really need a liquid cooler?

Asus makes the best boards out there and RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME is their flagship board....there's nothing wrong in it.....for the same price there's GIGABYTE Z77X-UP7 which uses 3rd gen ichip's new architechture's and is a touch faster but i would stick with asus...as it's failure rates are zero and it's a board built for CRAZY oc'ing.....if you want to go for a cheaper board you can go for a ASUS P8Z77-V PRO......its just as awesome and reduces the total from 158700 to 147200 (will be lesser if you buy locally).............ThHREE THINGS I WANT TO CLEAR

1) DO NOT GO WITH A CHEAP CABINET WITH THESE KINDA COMPONENTS.....THERE WONT BE ADEQUATE SPACE LEFT FOR AIRFLOW AND YOUR MACHINE WILL SHOW ABNORMAL TEMPERATURE'S AT STOCK FORGET ABOUT OC'ING PLUS CABLE MANAGEMENT.....DESIGNING A CABINET REQUIRE'S A GOOD SHARE OF R&D ....CHOOSING A CABINET IS ABOUT STYLE TO MANY INCLUDING ME....BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS SPACE..AIRFLOW...AND FUTURE UPGRADES......THE CORSAIR 800D IS THE ULTIMATE CABINET..ITS ALL WORK NO STYLE IF YOU TAKE IT IN THAT WAY...PLUS PLENTY OF SPACE FOR FUTURE UPGRADES AND L.COOLERS AND CABLE MANAGEMENT IS HEAVENLY.....IN SHORT A SERIOUS ALL WORK NO SHOW CABINET

2) AT STOCK SPEEDS YOU DON'T NEED A LIQUID COOLER...A GOOD CABINET WILL DO FOR NOW.....BUT BEFORE OC'ING GET THE L.COOLER (IF POSSIBLE SOME LIQUID NITROGEN OR HELIUM IF YOU GO FURTHER + MASKS)

3) DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT GO FOR COOLER MASTER PSU'S............GO FOR CORSAIR OR SEASONIC (I'D CHOOSE THE SECOND)

SABERTOOTH IS A GOOD BUILT BOARD AGAIN ITS ASUS BUT THE ONLY CON IS SABERTOOTH HAS LESS OC'ING (NOT INCASE OF A 990FX) THAN A MSI Z77 GD65(WHICH IS A GOOD AMOUNT LESS THAN THE SABERTOOTH)....THEREFORE IF YOU HAVE THE BUDGET GO FOR THE R4...EVERY PENNY IS WORTH IT

I AGREE FOR GAMING I7 IS AN OVERKILL....BUT HE WILL GAIN ON MULTI THREADED APPLICATION...AND MULTI TASKING WOULD BE A BREEZE.....

AS FOR A MULTI MONITOR SETUP YOU NEED A GOOD CARD WITH HIGH VRAM I WOULD DO THE SAME WITH JUST A 7950 AND I THINK I'LL BE SUCCESSFUL....THE GTX 690 IS 4GB'S OF BRUTE FORCE....I THINK IT CAN RUN 6 MONITORS WITH ONE GPU........BEST OF LUCK WITH THE BUILD AND DO SHARE THE PRICES YOU BOUGHT THEM AT WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED

If you are not planning to overclock then why go for a k series cpu, z77 motherboard and a custom CPU cooler?

If not going to overclock then I would suggest an i5 3570/i7 3770 with h77 and invest the saved money on a better graphics card or ssd.

HE'S GETTING A GTX 690...WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY A BETTER GRAPHICS CARD?? :eek:

rock2702

Padawan
Rampage iv extreme is an lga 2011 socket mobo,not an lga 1155 socket one.I guess u meant maximus v extreme as i7 3770k needs lga 1155 socket.

OP
V

vishalselvan

Broken In
Go for SLI if you want to play in triple monitors. 680 sli or even 670 sli is your best bet.

Next week, hardocp will publish a review of asus gtx 670 dcII 4gb in SLI and compare it with various setups including 7950 and 7970 crossfire. That will really help to cement your decision.
woot!! right on time too!!

Asus makes the best boards out there and RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME is their flagship board....there's nothing wrong in it.....for the same price there's GIGABYTE Z77X-UP7 which uses 3rd gen ichip's new architechture's and is a touch faster but i would stick with asus...as it's failure rates are zero and it's a board built for CRAZY oc'ing.....if you want to go for a cheaper board you can go for a ASUS P8Z77-V PRO......its just as awesome and reduces the total from 158700 to 147200 (will be lesser if you buy locally).............ThHREE THINGS I WANT TO CLEAR

1) DO NOT GO WITH A CHEAP CABINET WITH THESE KINDA COMPONENTS.....THERE WONT BE ADEQUATE SPACE LEFT FOR AIRFLOW AND YOUR MACHINE WILL SHOW ABNORMAL TEMPERATURE'S AT STOCK FORGET ABOUT OC'ING PLUS CABLE MANAGEMENT.....DESIGNING A CABINET REQUIRE'S A GOOD SHARE OF R&D ....CHOOSING A CABINET IS ABOUT STYLE TO MANY INCLUDING ME....BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS SPACE..AIRFLOW...AND FUTURE UPGRADES......THE CORSAIR 800D IS THE ULTIMATE CABINET..ITS ALL WORK NO STYLE IF YOU TAKE IT IN THAT WAY...PLUS PLENTY OF SPACE FOR FUTURE UPGRADES AND L.COOLERS AND CABLE MANAGEMENT IS HEAVENLY.....IN SHORT A SERIOUS ALL WORK NO SHOW CABINET

2) AT STOCK SPEEDS YOU DON'T NEED A LIQUID COOLER...A GOOD CABINET WILL DO FOR NOW.....BUT BEFORE OC'ING GET THE L.COOLER (IF POSSIBLE SOME LIQUID NITROGEN OR HELIUM IF YOU GO FURTHER + MASKS)

3) DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT GO FOR COOLER MASTER PSU'S............GO FOR CORSAIR OR SEASONIC (I'D CHOOSE THE SECOND)

SABERTOOTH IS A GOOD BUILT BOARD AGAIN ITS ASUS BUT THE ONLY CON IS SABERTOOTH HAS LESS OC'ING (NOT INCASE OF A 990FX) THAN A MSI Z77 GD65(WHICH IS A GOOD AMOUNT LESS THAN THE SABERTOOTH)....THEREFORE IF YOU HAVE THE BUDGET GO FOR THE R4...EVERY PENNY IS WORTH IT

I AGREE FOR GAMING I7 IS AN OVERKILL....BUT HE WILL GAIN ON MULTI THREADED APPLICATION...AND MULTI TASKING WOULD BE A BREEZE.....

AS FOR A MULTI MONITOR SETUP YOU NEED A GOOD CARD WITH HIGH VRAM I WOULD DO THE SAME WITH JUST A 7950 AND I THINK I'LL BE SUCCESSFUL....THE GTX 690 IS 4GB'S OF BRUTE FORCE....I THINK IT CAN RUN 6 MONITORS WITH ONE GPU........BEST OF LUCK WITH THE BUILD AND DO SHARE THE PRICES YOU BOUGHT THEM AT WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED

HE'S GETTING A GTX 690...WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY A BETTER GRAPHICS CARD?? :eek:
Definitely man,appreciate the help.Yeah,I did some research and a good cabinet is essential,so it's going to be the HAF 932 or HAF X,both of them are nice and big with airflow.Yep,coolermaster does not make the best psus,I thought that I should go for what I chose because it was cheaper,well,I then checked out Seasonic's 1050W psu for 15k,I think I'll get that. As for the i7,I just wanna be future proof,atleast for some time :p

Myth

Cyborg Agent
High and/or longer OC will require a liquid cooler. Air coolers have their limits.
Prefer Corsair over Seasonic. HX1050,AX1200

Last edited:
Top Bottom