Ubuntu vs Vista comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Ubuntu versus Vista comparison

*i170.photobucket.com/albums/u255/Santhosh1/vs5B55D.jpg

There are those who believe, really believe in completely open source software, nothing proprietary and it’s a dream, it’s here but for most users it’s just a dream or not a concern at all. It’s Ubuntu versus Vista in everything from installing the operating system to configuring devices and installing drivers and which one comes out on top.

I don’t really color myself a believer in open source, so long as the software package is “free” to use, what do I care if the code is open source or not, I just want good free software, that’s all but I also want it to work with little fuss. One open source application I like is OpenOffice, it’s a good package and a nice option for those who don’t want to spend $400 for Microsoft Office and can’t get the student and/or government discounts on it. I’ll admit, I use both Office 2003 and 2007 and both are far more polished than OpenOffice but for free… OpenOffice is okay.

It just so happens that Ubuntu includes OpenOffice as part of its package; all you get with Vista is WordPad which is the same useless application it has been for years and years. Score one for Ubuntu but the rest of the story isn’t so great. Ubuntu is an okay operating system for being free and not including any proprietary drivers or codecs, there is no default support for most graphic cards by default and to play MP3 files a codec pack is required.

Thanks, but didn’t it occur to the Ubuntu team that maybe, just maybe I want my graphics card to have all its modes supported out of the installation without my having to do anything about it, that’s the way it’s done with Vista, that’s the way Ubuntu should do it.

Information Week has a full comparison of Vista and Ubuntu though they don’t really declare a winner; I’ll do it for them, Vista. Why? Oh let’s see, all my hardware “just works”, I don’t have to edit the configuration file to get devices working that may not work after installing drivers (Vista works voodoo magic and “repairs” the device), I never have to resort to the command line in Vista, editing the registry and msconfig for performance is optional but by no means required.

In fact the average Windows user could get by their entire life without ever having to resort to a command line, msconfig or regedit. As Linux has no registry let’s toss that part out but resorting to the command line and editing config files is almost a prerequisite when you run into problems on Linux and you know what, I’m not going to do that or spend hours trying to figure out why something doesn’t work.

When I can’t figure out why something doesn’t work in Windows, a quick search is usually all it takes to correct or find a solution to the problem. Searching or sorting through tons of posts on Linux forums is also something I am not going to do. For almost all things Windows, someone has probably written a tutorial with pictures on how to do that, the same may or may not be true for issues encountered in Linux.

Most Ubuntu converts are either the Linux faithful or first time Linux users. For first time Linux users, do you really want them to have to delve into config files or the command line to get something done… the answer is you don’t and that is not an optimal solution. Make it work like Windows (except without the crashing) and people will be happy.

If you’re looking for an easy to use and fuss free operating system, buy a Mac and go with OSX unless editing Linux config files is your idea of fun.

In the interest of keeping things transparent, I do not use Ubuntu on a regular basis and will not do so until ALL of my hardware is supported EXACTLY the same way and functions EXACTLY the same way as it does under Windows. That is not a realistic expectation and besides, PhotoShop doesn’t run on Linux and no, WINE does not count… forget it.

If Microsoft decides to gouge all its users with its next OS or do some “webware” thing with it, forget it, I’ll go with a Mac. I am well aware that they gouged some users over Vista but if you know the right people, it’s not so expensive or troublesome.

I have also not experienced a crash on Vista (yet) and I hope I don’t and as far as my XP days, few if any trouble with it as well. Then again, I’m not an “average” Windows user so of course most people see it as being bad but maybe plugging all that old hardware with poorly written drivers on your Windows machine wasn’t such a good idea in the first place. Windows XP and especially Vista, don’t respond well at all to old(er) hardware so buy new stuff, problem solved. Okay, I’m not being completely serious but I had to make that point.

Kudos to you if you use Linux, you are an experience computer user, as for myself, I’m perfectly content being an experienced Windows XP and Vista user, yeah, I used 9x back in the day but honestly, if you’re still using 9x move over to at least Windows 2000 or buy a new computer with XP or Vista because 9x is just, well, they’re all bad.

Source >>>

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Sigh...how many times do we have to say it again & again

Intel_Gigacore said:
One open source application I like is OpenOffice, it’s a good package and a nice option for those who don’t want to spend $400 for Microsoft Office and can’t get the student and/or government discounts on it. I’ll admit, I use both Office 2003 and 2007 and both are far more polished than OpenOffice but for free… OpenOffice is okay.

Yup it is, for single user systems.

It just so happens that Ubuntu includes OpenOffice as part of its package; all you get with Vista is WordPad which is the same useless application it has been for years and years.

This has been made clear many times. If MS desiced to bundle Office student & teachers edition which has PowerPoint, Word & Excel then they will be sued the next day.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Ohhh i loved the frills and thrills of Ubuntu.The whistles are better than Vista and windows Xp.I saw Ubuntus Screen shots and drooled on the youtube.com videos of it.
I download the first Fiesty 7.04 Ubuntu there was available for me from my Vista Machine.Downloaded it, burned iso image.Wrote some mails and formated my system to experience the power of Ubuntu.
And then it booted and flet the new revolution of open Source and then
Got Stuck.
I simply cannot Connect to the internet using TATA V-Data card from my lappy.
I booted my Xp Pc and searched on the net for it .The number of command left me exasperated.
How could i do it...? And why will i do it?
I need to check my mail, play games ,have to be productive 70 of my time on pc..
I had no choice but to format Lapp and installed windows again.
Please dont flame me.I know Ubuntu is a miracle but sadly windows is still a way for productivity.

raj.aprilfool

Right off the assembly line
no offence but i never like windows... the only reason i have to use it, is games!!!!
for other things there is gnu/linux..... each distro has its own fan base.... i'm yet to see ubuntu........ by the way does anybody have tried "Mandriva 2k7 spring free dvd ed"???

praka123

left this forum longback
^^Most GNU/Linux are free.I'll say at the present state GNU/Linux users are be prepared to use terminal and commands.no way do compare bash shell with ms-dos.
using terminal is not a geeky thing.learn to use it.bash shell is much advanced and it completes PATH and variables and commands.
Yes,Terminal is a must for any newbie Linux user,I'd say.
If you like a Vista upgrade rather than FOSS and Linux-go for it.but remember,Linux still got the potential to grow fast.

Last edited:

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
This might count as trolling, but IMHO there is no Linux distro that can hold a candle to OpenSuse right now, whether you are talking about UI or ease of use or hardware support. My first flavour of Linux was Red Hat back in the days when that was the only one you could get in India easily, however, I saw Suse in action on a friends system one day and fell in love with it, I have tried out most flavours of Linux, looking for something that can hold a candle to Suse, haven't found any yet. But them, I am probably prejudiced...

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
This has been made clear many times. If MS desiced to bundle Office student & teachers edition which has PowerPoint, Word & Excel then they will be sued the next day.
LOL! Ha! Ha! Ha! :lol:

Do you hear yourself! :lol:

Wordpad used to read Word documents just fine and nobody was suing them for it. Then they decided to go ahead and remove the functionality in Vista. Why? Dude, they want you to buy Office.

If they started bundling Office with Windows (without charging a premium for it), they will lose a third of their income and when you are talking about Microsoft, that is a HUGE amount of money. They are frequently referred to as a two-application company - Windows and Office. All the rest of their business is financed by these giants. Even if all competition for Office died down and the concept of suing ceased to exist, they will never ever bundle Office with Windows.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with it. It makes perfect business sense and I don't think anyone with brains expects to get Microsoft Office for free. But quit the Microsoft love fest please and stop making fun of yourself.

lokhendro

upcoming
it depends on the type of user....
if u are a customerize freak than linux is best of the best.....
while if u r normal user than vista is damn cool..

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Be it. OSS products can never beat MS products. Linux has a completely different interface while Windows has a different interface. Windows is easily infected by viruses while linux is not.

abhishek_del

Journeyman
intel_gigacore is right that for area specific tasks like adobe photoshop, sound editing etc. you can't use linux distros...And for connecting to the internet you have to configure you modem and every task involves use of command lines...Its kind of non-user friendly and everyone does not like to do this when they can get a much better GUI in windows where everything works in mouse clicks.

But for senior computer enthusiasts and programmers linux wins hands down..becuase u don't want the clutter and linux can be customized a great way....

shantanu

Technomancer
Ubuntu and Windows are completely different and they should not be compared in any sense.. Ubuntu might be good , but windows Vista ROCKS

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Just because Ubuntu has a crappy configuration utility for PPPOE doesnt mean its the same for all distros. Fedora has been having proper GUI tool for that since long time

praka123 said:
^^Most GNU/Linux are free.I'll say at the present state GNU/Linux users are be prepared to use terminal and commands.no way do compare bash shell with ms-dos.
using terminal is not a geeky thing.learn to use it.bash shell is much advanced and it completes PATH and variables and commands.
Vista and XP dont have ms dos. Its cmd (command). It has better path completion compared to BSH. In BASH when I press tab , the autocompletion occurs if and only if what I have already typed is unique. In cmd , when I press tab it autocompletes to the first nearest in ASCII collating sequence ( numbers first .. well u know). I find this very irritating in BASH, especially when two very large filenames are common upto a large length. Also cmd just like BASH supports output redirection from commands to files. Try this on cmd :
dir > filelist.txt
This is how I generally debug BSOD STOP errors in windows; by using windows support tools available on Windows XP CD to read minidump files and redirect them to txt files.

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
raj.aprilfool said:
no offence but i never like windows... the only reason i have to use it, is games!!!!
for other things there is gnu/linux..... each distro has its own fan base.... i'm yet to see ubuntu........ by the way does anybody have tried "Mandriva 2k7 spring free dvd ed"???

Me too agree that i have only installed windows for gaming & am going to remove it as soon as i get a better control over linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom