Ubuntu Ultimate 1.9 - The Big Daddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
ankushkool

ankushkool

Youngling
this is just a good effort to bring linux to common ppl like us... or else it takes days just 2 set up a home pc using linux for a newbie... dont u ppl act as smart asses, i know u r smart but stop boasting.

this is just a good effort to bring linux to common ppl like us... or else it takes days just 2 set up a home pc using linux for a newbie... dont u ppl act as smart asses, i know u r smart but stop boasting.
WTH ? This is insane. 2 days to setup a distro ?

If you were using ubuntu, all you need to do is explore add/remove menu. Thats what I did when I was a newbie. It takes half an hour, but thats due to the sheer number of apps - you tend to get distracted from the main objective. Then add medibuntu repos using "those funny lines from the tutorial" in the terminal and then go to gnome-look (the best part) and start adding themes.

The whole process, including download time, takes just around 2 hours.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
WTH ? This is insane. 2 days to setup a distro ?

If you were using ubuntu, all you need to do is explore add/remove menu. Thats what I did when I was a newbie. It takes half an hour, but thats due to the sheer number of apps - you tend to get distracted from the main objective. Then add medibuntu repos using "those funny lines from the tutorial" in the terminal and then go to gnome-look (the best part) and start adding themes.

The whole process, including download time, takes just around 2 hours.
Man, everybody is not on "world's fastest internet connection" like you... :p

And you got V.V.V. high speed mirrors to download n install within 2 hours....

now welcome to real Bharat man... Still many users on Dial-up. n u say... just 2 hours... NOW WTH... :X

They tried their best to come up with their distro. You use or don't use. It's YOUR problem. Did they force you ??
Why u smart people kidding them ???

Man, everybody is not on "world's fastest internet connection" like you... :p

And you got V.V.V. high speed mirrors to download n install within 2 hours....

now welcome to real Bharat man... Still many users on Dial-up. n u say... just 2 hours... NOW WTH... :X

They tried their best to come up with their distro. You use or don't use. It's YOUR problem. Did they force you ??
Why u smart people kidding them ???
I never said it takes 2 hours to download the ISO and customise. I said the install and customisation time.
And if you use IIT-Chennai mirrors, you get very high speeds in South India.

And yeah, if they are dialup users, even for downloading the distro, it can take a whole month. They don't come into the picture at all in my reply (Debian Stable is best for them since 3 DVDs have everything they need). I was replying to ankushkool who said it takes 2 days to setup ubuntu from the scratch, by comparing my own time taken when I first installed ubuntu.

And finally, I never said Ubuntu Ultimate is the worst distro in the world. I just said its not the "big daddy" or whatever you call it when you compare it to ubuntu.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
WHata ajoke.. People are creating useless distro like the one posted and Ubuntu Gamers and blah b;lah blah just utilizing web space for nothing ! I would say stay away from heap of distro and choose the right one.. I won't even risk my system to test distro like this :p

Then you should not even use Ubuntu and also not install lots of stuff on it. Because its risks your system that is.
UU is just cusotmized ubuntu with same kernel.
You turned out to be newb here bro. With not much rational thinking. Despite your shell knowledge.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Huh ! People can customize a distro themselves :p Also distro like this just packs lots of bloatware and useless stuff.. So whats the use of wasting bandwidth downloading useless stuff..

Ps : I don't use Ubuntu either :p

UU is just cusotmized ubuntu with same kernel.
Huh. thats obvious , whenever someone copy Ubuntu he/she copies everything only noticeable changes occur in set of apps and artwork ! Apart from that everything is same.. and I bet this distro uses Ubuntu repos too :p Just like Mint :-|

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I found it great-to-give for an offline Linux user, gave him lots of stuff to try about without whining he's got no internet to get something done.

But otherwise, for a user who knows what he's doing, it does include a large chunk of unnecessary or extra software.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
That was a matter of a few .debs I always carry with me. I guess now it does support media files, not too sure about it. I have the first version of it alone.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
It is having support for almost all types of media files now.. So it's good for offline users, who primarily use computers for Entertainment purposes.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
to be true my opensuse install is far more bloated then this thing.
same with fedora 9 ;) !!!
have fun !!!!!!!!!!!!

no truning back to setup after one time install. time is now precious ! of course knowledge is important. but thanks i already have some.. hehe !!
i had added my own(hmm my teachers ;)) sysem calls and new CPU scheduling routines and process thread handling routines to my kernel !! and use them in some applications..!! now have add them again in SuSE ! when i get time for it.. !!!!!!!

F

FilledVoid

I'm amazed at all of you. How many of you have not actually have had the luxury of that broadband connection you now use. I was one of those users and personally I would love to have a distro that has alot of stuff on it which wouldn't require me to download MB's of stuff. So their choice of Themes or icons is a put off , big deal. Deal with it. If you feel you can make it better then share your contributions.

Find the site slacking? Well how about you design them that new UI which would make users drool. Hah its quite easy to call anyones work crap. If you all were staunch Linux supporters you could have mailed the person back with feedback. But I don't see that happening.

Each distro is meant for a certain segment of users. A person who is new to Linux doesn't install Gentoo. Neither does a Gentoo user use Ubuntu.

Pat

Beyond Smart
I have personally tried UU 1.8 and trust me, it was very good. They have probably tweaked a few settings here and there. As a result, it felt snappier than Ubuntu. Its a great distro to try out for someone who is new to Linux and does not have a decent internet connection to work with.

I'm amazed at all of you. How many of you have not actually have had the luxury of that broadband connection you now use. I was one of those users and personally I would love to have a distro that has alot of stuff on it which wouldn't require me to download MB's of stuff. So their choice of Themes or icons is a put off , big deal. Deal with it. If you feel you can make it better then share your contributions.

Find the site slacking? Well how about you design them that new UI which would make users drool. Hah its quite easy to call anyones work crap. If you all were staunch Linux supporters you could have mailed the person back with feedback. But I don't see that happening.

Each distro is meant for a certain segment of users. A person who is new to Linux doesn't install Gentoo. Neither does a Gentoo user use Ubuntu.
I agreed to that completely, but at the same time, what put me in offensive mode was the highly exaggerated nature of the thread starter's first post and the way he loosely stated that "this is a distro which can even beat vista".

Instead of appriciating this OS for what it is and what it is meant for, he is refering to the appearence and "coolness" and comparing it to MS vista. Thats just dumb.

F

FilledVoid

I agreed to that completely, but at the same time, what put me in offensive mode was the highly exaggerated nature of the thread starter's first post and the way he loosely stated that "this is a distro which can even beat vista".

In that case 99% of the threads on this subsection just became invalidated because usually someone compares it to Vista as a benchmark.

Instead of appriciating this OS for what it is and what it is meant for, he is refering to the appearence and "coolness" and comparing it to MS vista. Thats just dumb.
Yes hes into the looks and eye candy features of it and hence his opinion. Whether it is dumb or not is your perception. To him your little 486 on a custom kernel is probably the dumbest thing known to mankind. But still he doesn't throw a monkey wrench in it does he ?

All I have to say is respect ones work and contributions. If you don't do anything to better it , don't bash it either.

F

FilledVoid

Not entirely true, I still boot my Kubuntu CD expecting it to magically transform into KDE4 someday
You sir are one of the rare exceptions.

OP
ankushkool

ankushkool

Youngling
ya right dude... now even my friends r usin it who hated linux coz everytime there was one thing or other missing... now they have everythin they want n more... plus kool looks :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom