Ubuntu NTFS-3g

Status
Not open for further replies.

adit_sen

In the zone
I've had no problems with ntfs write support in ubuntu after I installed the ntfs-3g package following the instructions here *ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009&highlight=ntfs+external+disk

Now my problem is with my external HDD. Ntfs-3g only enables write support for those devices listed in /etc/fstab. To enable write support on my external HDD, I manually added my ext HDD /etc/fstab and it works fine. But since I'm running a laptop, I dont always have my external drive connected. When it is not connected and i try to plug in a usb flash drives, i get a mount failed error. This is because the drive tries to mount on /dev/sda1, but that is listed in /etc/fstab as my external ntfs HDD. Now I dont want to go through the process of editing the fstab file each time i unplug my HDD so i get get support for flash drives. is there any workaround? such as getting all flash drives to mount on say /dev/sda2 or something like that?

Another thing. The HOWTO guide (link posted above) has mentioned about this problem and gives the solution by adding a script 'mount_with_ntfs_3g'. But this didnt work for me. When I plug in my HDD and run the script, i get an error 'device already mounted'. If i unmount manually and then run the script, i get 'failed to mount with ntfs-3g'

this is a really irritating problem. pls help

cheers
aditya

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Wait u r telling me that I can actually write into NTFS. Really!!!!!! Wait is this tested or its still unstable, beta, alpha or whatever. Pls do reply me coz I am abt to swtich over to Ubuntu full time and only the read only thing for NTFS is stopping me. And I dun wanna lose any of my data coz hey my data is very precious. So pls tell me.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Yes, it's fully possible to write to ntfs partition. I know of 2 such tools ntfs-3g and static-ntfs.
Both the projects are still in beta.
I don't know about ntfs-3g but I have used ntfs-static and it worked for me. But, to say, the write speeds are just pathetic and it took up a lot of my processor power. So, unless you have some small files to write to ntfs partitions, still you will have to wait.

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
well there's nothing wrong with the write speeds of ntfs-3g and no issues with the processing power either...

djmykey

Let the music play.....
I have nearly 200 GB of data on NTFS and I cant cr@p it man cmon it has taken me a lot of time to collect that data so I wont risk it anyways. I wud rather wait for a really good driver to comeby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom