Ubuntu Mobile Edition 8.04 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*www.imgx.org/pfiles/848/ubuntu.png​

Ubuntu MID Edition targets an exciting new class of computers called Mobile Internet Devices. Ubuntu MID, based on the world's most popular Linux distribution, and MID hardware from OEMs and ODMs, is redefining what can be done in mobile computing.

1. Ubuntu MID Edition, a fully open source project, gives the full Internet, with no compromise. Custom options may include licensed codecs and popular third-party applications.
  2. Full Web 2.0/AJAX fidelity, with custom options of Adobe Flash®, Java, and more
  3. Outstanding media playback so you can enjoy videos, music and photos with superior quality and easy navigation
  4. A suite of applications that work seamlessly to meet every need of a digital parent, student or anyone who is on-the-go
  5. Facebook®, MySpace®, YouTube®, Dailymotion®, 3D games, GPS, maps, in short, the full Web 2.0 experience delivered into your hands as a compact and powerful device that's easy and fun to use

*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/large/5764/ume_flash.png

*www.imgx.org/pfiles/5761/clutter-small.jpg *www.imgx.org/pfiles/5762/flash-small.jpg *www.imgx.org/pfiles/5763/html-small.jpg​

Finger friendly, touch driven

Ubuntu MID is finger friendly, with no stylus needed. You drive Ubuntu MID with touch. Simply tap the screen or drag a finger to make gestures for intuitive navigation and control.
  1. Tap an application with your finger to launch it, and tap menus and buttons to use them.
  2. Swipe a web page to pan up, down or sideways.
  3. Swipe a video, photo, song or thumbnail page to move to the next or the previous one.

MIDs typically have the following features and attributes:
  1. Small size/form factor
  2. 4 to 7 inch touch screen
  3. Physical and/or virtual keyboard
  4. Wi-Fi, 3G, Bluetooth, GPS, WiMAX
  5. 2GB to 8GB Flash or disk storage, 256MB+ memory/512MB+ recommended
  6. OpenGL 3D
  7. USB, camera, head phone jack, speakers, microphone

Download : Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded 8.04 (Hardy Heron) | Ubuntu MID Edition | Ubuntu
Phoronix Review : [Phoronix] Ubuntu MID Edition 8.04

Last edited:
whoa !

This one looks like a killer. I doubt Windows CE or the dying Windows XP can ever come upto its standards. It looks great, and as all ubuntus, this too will be a really easy to use OS.

I think now EEE PC and MSI Wind look like REAL options.

Hell, even large PDAs and communicators, and most importantly Tablet PCs can use this.

has anyone else noticed that every version of ubuntu save the main version looks cool ? The main edition is an eyesore compared to the rest :lol:

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
looks cool..
can it be installed on iPod Touch??
I installed Rockbox on my iPod and that's working fine..

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Err..not for EEE PC or Similar ...This OS is meant for UMPC or Mobile Internet Devices like Nokia 7700 ,N800 and other similar devices ;)

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/large/18342_wvfbg/nokia%20n800.jpg

Pathik

Google Bot
whoa !

This one looks like a killer. I doubt Windows CE or the dying Windows XP can ever come upto its standards. It looks great, and as all ubuntus, this too will be a really easy to use OS.

I think now EEE PC and MSI Wind look like REAL options.

Hell, even large PDAs and communicators, and most importantly Tablet PCs can use this.

has anyone else noticed that every version of ubuntu save the main version looks cool ? The main edition is an eyesore compared to the rest :lol:
This is not meant for the EEEs or Winds. They can run the normal Ubuntu just as well. This one is meant for the newer MIDs coming up.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
@Metal..
Just asking dude, you see, i just want to know whether it'll run on iPod touch.. I don't personally have iPod Touch.. me happy with iPod.. my friend was asking it though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom