Ubuntu-help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exams are over,so i am free to do all the experiments on my system.I want to install ubuntu on my system but i am not able to install the nvidia drivers for my 8800GTS 512 G92.Please help guyz.Prakash where are u????
I can also try the method of removing my gpu installing and all that what praka123 told me.
My config is Nvidia geforce 8800 GTS 512 G92
Q6600
2*2 GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM
Please help

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Dude this section is for win32sux queries. Not for Linux queries! :p Ask a mod to move this to Open-Source.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
More like, "Omg! i got a virus on my system,Plzzz tell me what to do"
queries.

And btw, you did have a thread on this right?
Are you talking about my win32 threads which were one year ago or the Linux one ?

The linux one was to find why it had a virus. A virus can't do anything to a Linux box unless it is run by root that too which edits system-native things.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@Sunny
What problem do you face?

I just installed Ubuntu 32 on a system with G86 core. Compositing and resolution were messed up at first, but after the one-click restricted drivers' install everything was back to normal.

@Sunny
What problem do you face?

I just installed Ubuntu 32 on a system with G86 core. Compositing and resolution were messed up at first, but after the one-click restricted drivers' install everything was back to normal.
Ububtu doesnt detect my GPU.neither restricted drivers nor envy works.
What do i do.I have tried many ways to install the drivers.
Does hardy alpha support my G92 core GPU?

praka123

left this forum longback
Let Ubuntu NOT detect ur cards.fine.complete the installation.boot the system,most prolly bullet proof X will be activated (vesa driver) and u may be able to boot into Gnome.

if not press CTRL+ALT+F1 and login.download nvidia 169.12 driver.install it .for that u need to install build-essential libc6-dev and few other deps.
I have installed latest 169.09 driver for my nvidia 7300GT on Ubuntu via nvidia's original script.no problemos.just make sure to modprobe nvidia module. :)

the thing is,u somehow finish the ubuntu installation onto ur harddisk.we can help u later!dont panic

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Do you use DVI? I heard DVI + Ubuntu has some problems on this card.

You may haf a look at this thread too: *ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=674778

You can also try installing from the Alternate CD (in text mode) and doing this:
To start up, open a recovery session.

At login type your username followed by your password.

Then type "sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf" (Note linux is case sensitive)

Look for the section device.

Look for the word driver under device.

Change the driver into "vesa"

Then save your document on exit. Note not to change anything else. The nano editor is not the most advanced. Use help if needed.

Type "sudo reboot"

Now let it boot normal, it is supposed to start-up with the general vesa driver. Afterwards you can install the nvidia drivers with Envy, or the restricted drivers manager. And you can also make sure your internet is working (which I suggest you do first).

PS. I noticed that in my case I needed to use the root login, and I don't know how this is handled when you have not set-up any accounts yet after an install.[

You can also try this, when installing to disable specific paramaters which may be causing problems:
Try using boot parameter Code:
nosplash
or Code:
nosplash noapic nolapic

This has to be type when you see the ubuntu screen when booting from CD and Pressing F6 (? Am I right when I say F6?). There should be some additional parameters etc. something. Try it. One of the solutions will work.

thanx infra ur method worked!!!!
vesa drivers done,now im working at 1280*1024 res.
now tell me how to install the drivers.
envy is giving an error-dependency not stisfiable dh-make
restricted drivers not showing anything

OMFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anirudh ,u r the guy.
i installed the latest 169.12 drivers and compiz is working flawlessly.
After following ur method i killed the gui and installed the drivers and rebooted and woooohooooo!!!i trry mac4lin for sure!

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Dependency errors? Prolly the ubuntu repos are not enabled. Make a copy of /etc/apt/sources.list as root (prefix sudo) and then sudo and edit (as root) the same file. Now before every "deb" and "deb-src" remove the "#" sign to un-comment it and enable the repos.

After this goto Synaptic and Reload or goto terminal and type: sudo apt-get update.

Now re-install Envy. All dependencies would be solved. Btw, which method worked for you?

You can use this guide to wade your way thru Envy: *albertomilone.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.Envy-InstructionsForUbuntu

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom