Ubuntu Hanging after startup..

Status
Not open for further replies.

NauticA

Broken In
Hardy freezes...

installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS..
after providing the username and password the gnome sound of login comes and shows the desktop..
i can move the mouse pointer there but unable to open anything..

everything is unresponsive..
cants even open menus..
nor apps and icons..

earlier i had ubuntu 7.04 which worked fine on my system..

the output of TOP command is --
Code:
up 2 min, 1 user, load average 1.45, 0.80 , 0.31
Tasks : 77 total , 4 runing, 75 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
CPU: 0.2%us, 46.0%sy, 0.0ni, 42.4%id, 0.0%wa,14.1hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
mem :  501520 K total, 416604K used, 84812K free, 75992K buffers

Last edited:

Flake

Linux User
Re: Hardy freezes...

Which Graphics Card do you have?
Execute this
Code:
sudo lspci | grep -i vga
grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Post output here.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Looks like your GDM is freezing.

Boot till the login screen

Press Ctrl+Alt+F1

Type in your user name and press ENTER
Type password and press ENTER

Type this
metacity --replace
and press ENTER

Type
startx
and press ENTER

Now if your Ubuntu GDM starts successfully go to CCSM in System->Preferences->Advanced Desktop Effects Settings and disable your desktop effects

Now restart and try to login normally

gk2k

gkbhat.blogspot.com
Which is your motherboard,Processor?
If it is core2duo then disable core multiplexing in the bios.

praka123

left this forum longback
read this thread too :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92068

Hardy is BY FAR the worst Ubuntu version yet. LOCKUP WARNING!!!

Simple solution : Use 2.6.26 zen kernel from rarewares.org or someone is saying to apt-get install ubuntu-server edition kernel.

Last edited:
I recommned you try Sidux. The latest release is Erebus. Its a rolling release distro based on debian sid that ensures that the unstability associated with sid is removed, but at the same time you get solid functionality and latest software of sid.

Sidux is available in KDE and Xfce flavours, and it has so far not made a g00n@hU0|^|6 release since gnome currently sucks since its new version and Xfce is fast developing as a light alternative to Gnome that is as usable for most perposes and almost as simple.

praka123

left this forum longback
Gnome OWNS!

^hey! :x keep ur ideas to urself Gnome 2.22.3 on my Debian Sid *OWNS* any kde thing! I am completely satisfied with it! if I have to say ,it is kde-4.x which sucks bad! :p

ps: dont end up in something you are not 100% sure.Ubuntu Gnome != Original Gnome .my 2 anna's. ;)

Gnome is the best with usability options.unlike loaded with every options as in kde ,where you are given a vehicle with screws to remove everywhere :p

Besides ,I actually liked kdemod .but this kind of blind feedbacks sucks .:|

Re: Gnome OWNS!

^hey! :x keep ur ideas to urself Gnome 2.22.3 on my Debian Sid *OWNS* any kde thing! I am completely satisfied with it! if I have to say ,it is kde-4.x which sucks bad! :p

ps: dont end up in something you are not 100% sure.Ubuntu Gnome != Original Gnome .my 2 anna's. ;)

Gnome is the best with usability options.unlike loaded with every options as in kde ,where you are given a vehicle with screws to remove everywhere :p

Besides ,I actually liked kdemod .but this kind of blind feedbacks sucks .:|
I didn't post any blind feedback. I just said that Xfce is waaaaaaaaaay better than gnome today. Well, I am refering to Gnome 2.22.1, not Gnome 2.22.3, so perhaps I may be a little bit wrong here and there. :oops:.

KDE can be customised insanely, but gnome is more Macintosh like, in the sense that its much more simpler, but sometimes it just looses customisability. Did you ever read what Mark Shuttleworth, the man behind Ubuntu, says about Ubuntu ? He wishes to make it more on the lines of Macintosh.

Finally, I never said any blind feedback. I posted my personal experiences with Gnome, thats all. Infact, I absolutely adore Gnome 2.18. Its the best DE I ever used in my life. So simple, so good looking, so light - all at the same time.

KDE 4 obviously sucks. Infact, I agree that Gnome 2.18 > KDE 3.5 >>> Gnome 2.22 >>> KDE 4. Its something like the older things are better than the newer ones. OLD is GOLD.

And my post is relevant since this guy is using Ubuntu's Gnome. And Ubuntu Gnome SUCKS as we all know. I am now afraid to ever use gnome again.

As for Xfce, I think you will ditch Gnome the moment you start getting used to Xfce. It uses the same GTK libraries and has intergration with the same old gnome apps. But its just leaner, meaner, lighter and faster. Its still not light enough, but its more like "what gnome minus looks should have been like".

One main thing I don't like about gnome is that they didn't base it on QT. I think QT is the most beautiful widget kit ever made, and it just can't help superseeding GTK+ in performance. Most importantly, (as far as I am concerned) QT4 Designer is easier to use than Glade. :)

Unfortunately, QT means I am stuck with this uber system that fails to run on my system at warp speeds which is called KDE. :(

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
ps: dont end up in something you are not 100% sure.Ubuntu Gnome != Original Gnome .my 2 anna's.
Right on! I was amazed at the differences I saw in Gnome on Ubuntu and in Gnome on Arch.

I didn't post any blind feedback. I just said that Xfce is waaaaaaaaaay better than gnome today. Well, I am refering to Gnome 2.22.1, not Gnome 2.22.3, so perhaps I may be a little bit wrong here and there. .

Subjective.

KDE 4 obviously sucks. Infact, I agree that Gnome 2.18 > KDE 3.5 >>> Gnome 2.22 >>> KDE 4. Its something like the older things are better than the newer ones. OLD is GOLD.
^hey! keep ur ideas to urself Gnome 2.22.3 on my Debian Sid *OWNS* any kde thing! I am completely satisfied with it! if I have to say ,it is kde-4.x which sucks bad!
KDE 4.x is still maturing. Personally I love KDE 4.1 but thats just my opinion.
As for Xfce, I think you will ditch Gnome the moment you start getting used to Xfce.
Been there, done that. I still prefer Gnome.

Right on! I was amazed at the differences I saw in Gnome on Ubuntu and in Gnome on Arch.
Really ? Any good data would be helpful along with stats.
Subjective.
:)
KDE 4.x is still maturing. Personally I love KDE 4.1 but thats just my opinion.
KDE 4.x is maturing. But Gnome 2.22.x is also maturing. It too needs lots of rework to get back to old performance.
Been there, done that. I still prefer Gnome.
Me too Actually. Gnome feels nicer, but the difference is still too small for choosing gnome, especially since I am low on resources.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Really ? Any good data would be helpful along with stats.
Install a system with Arch and Gnome and open it up. Install a system with Ubuntu which has Gnome and open it up. Let me know if they are the same.

praka123

left this forum longback
already tried xfce and many other wm's and kde - but always feel comfortable with Gnome. It works! :D

I'd like to say ,the interest are subjective .there is no need to say this sucks ,that sucks et al :rolleyes: - I know kde and even I liked the kdemod for the speed which it had on my old hardware. still ,when it comes to simplicity and usability ,Gnome suits the best for *me* .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom