ubuntu different versions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anarchist

tried different versions of ubuntu. previously i was running ubuntu 7.10, which i loved. the easy to use interface and well selected packages. i will surely install ubuntu 8.04 when final version will be out.

then i tried fluxbuntu 7.10: having feedback from this forum that it is lightweight version of ubuntu i tried it. it was different from ubuntu's official derivatives and hard to get used to. i was not comfortable on fluxbuntu. most of the default packages were related to programming. i think it is good for expert linux users.

then i tried kubuntu 8.04 : it has very glossy looks and seems to be inspired from windows. least command line work was required in it (only for configuring tvtuner card). but some packages like games and gimp was missing in default package selection. i think it is good for new linux users shifting from windows.

and now xubuntu 8.04 : it is again similar to ubuntu. some features are missing (like: print screen key not working). as it is lightweight compared to ubuntu, i think it is good for new linux users having old harware..

in all the versions i have used internet using pppconfig (in kubuntu there was gui tool for it) and tvtime for tuner card.

waiting for ubuntu 8.04 final version :)

Rahim

Married!
I downloaded Hardy Heron yesterday and booted into the live mode and the first thing i did was to check my scanner in Lexmark X1185 and Voila it was working :)
Only probem was when i tried o change the resolution to 1024x768 ,i got 1/4th screen black.:(

Me too waiting for the final release, though will wait for another month before upgrading from Gutsy after some bugs are fixed.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
then i tried fluxbuntu 7.10: having feedback from this forum that it is lightweight version of ubuntu i tried it. it was different from ubuntu's official derivatives and hard to get used to. i was not comfortable on fluxbuntu. most of the default packages were related to programming. i think it is good for expert linux users.
Fluxbox is for intermediate and advanced users, thus the target of this distros is obviously supposed to be those people. Except a lot more CLI usage in this distro.

then i tried kubuntu 8.04 : it has very glossy looks and seems to be inspired from windows.
KDE can be much better. IMO, Kubuntu gives the worst looks to KDE.

but some packages like games and gimp was missing in default package selection.
because they need gtk libraries. There's nothing gtk based on kubuntu by default.

some features are missing (like: print screen key not working).
Well that needs to be mapped AFAIK. Anyways, I haven't really used XFCE so not much idea.

in all the versions i have used internet using pppconfig (in kubuntu there was gui tool for it)
KPPP?

Last edited:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Well that needs to be mapped AFAIK. Anyways, I haven't really used XFCE so not much idea.

Yeah, you've gotta map it in Xfce.
Its done by default in gnome AFAICR.
But, its way easier to take screen shots using the panel applet provided by Xfce IMO.

Personally , I use Mirage to take screenshots in Xfce these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom