Ubuntu boot issues

e33tad

Broken In
I have a strange but not a new problem. When I try to run Ubuntu 13.10 live from the USB on my new hp notebook with win 8.1, my notebook screen turns off. I Google this issue and found lots of similar posts on many sites but none of the solutions made any sense to me. I tried connecting my tv via hdmi and interestingly it displayed the contents whike my notebook display stayed off. When i checked settings, ubuntu detected both displays. so i changed the res of my tv output to 1080p and idk how but my notebook display turned on. I saved the settings , disconnected the tv abd restarted but the same problem happened again. Any ideas how to fix this? btw i got a haswell notebook with intel 4600 and gt 740m.

I don't knwo the cause and solution of this problem, but the reason why saving settings didn't work is because (as you mentioned) you are running it as a live OS, where settings don't get saved unless you created persistent image.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@e33tad: Yuo, he is right.
Since you are using a USB drive to boot a live image.. just use "LiLi USB Creator" to give it a persistent space. Its one of the last option on the colorful UI of the tool.

gameranand

Living to Play
I have a strange but not a new problem. When I try to run Ubuntu 13.10 live from the USB on my new hp notebook with win 8.1, my notebook screen turns off. I Google this issue and found lots of similar posts on many sites but none of the solutions made any sense to me. I tried connecting my tv via hdmi and interestingly it displayed the contents whike my notebook display stayed off. When i checked settings, ubuntu detected both displays. so i changed the res of my tv output to 1080p and idk how but my notebook display turned on. I saved the settings , disconnected the tv abd restarted but the same problem happened again. Any ideas how to fix this? btw i got a haswell notebook with intel 4600 and gt 740m.

If you use Ubuntu frequently then why not install it ??

OP
E

e33tad

Broken In
Tried installing ubuntu but my pc always boots in win 8. No GRUB or any other boot option appear. Also idk how important it is but when i was installing ubuntu, the option install alongside windows did not pop up

sohan_92

In the zone
Try to delete those unnecessary 400MB and 350 MB small recovery partitions as you have already deleted the major one and then install Ubuntu. I hope you will get alongside windows installation.

OP
E

e33tad

Broken In
Are you Sure? i don want to mess up the pc any further. I don't have a installation disc so if the pc doesnot boot, I will be screwed!

sohan_92

In the zone
Ubuntu can only be installed on primary or extended partition. You already have four primary partitions which is the maximum primary partitions supported by windows 8 mbr. That's why told you to delete small recovery partitions as you have already deleted the main recovery partition.

OP
E

e33tad

Broken In
IDK about shrinking but i couldnot use extend the c: drive and absorb (lol exact words are not coming to my mind) that 24 gib partition.

kisame

King of Heroes
Ubuntu can only be installed on primary or extended partition. You already have four primary partitions which is the maximum primary partitions supported by windows 8 mbr. That's why told you to delete small recovery partitions as you have already deleted the main recovery partition.
His setup is EFI/GPT.He can have more than 4 primary partitions.NO hassles of extended partitions.I myself have 5 primary partitions on my laptop.

sohan_92

In the zone
@kisame, thanks for pointing out the mistake.

so i did some research and found something useful.But it is complicated one.

installing-ubuntu-on-a-pre-installed-windows-8-64-bit-system-uefi-supported

Top Bottom