ubuntu, application installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
Hi,

in ubuntu, i used synaptic package manager to install azureus, but i failed to notice that the version installed was 2.5.0.0 and so i uninstalled it and downloaded 2.5.0.4 and i extracted to a directory and i could run from there very fine.

now my question is, while 2.5.0.0 was installed, there was a file under the applications -> internet menu and also i could run azureus just by typing the name from any path in the terminal. but now, i have to go to the path and do it.

can you tell me how to do these 2 things?

legolas.

praka123

left this forum longback
u can make a menu listing for ur azureus locally installed.go to menu System>Preferences>Menu editor.make ur shortcut.
if u have extracted azureus to ur /home/user/azureus directory.just give the full link to app fully.
u can use run dialog (ALT+F2) and run "alacarte" for menu editing

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
Hi,

thanks for the quick reply. i have installed azureus in /usr/share/azureus directory. now, i get as to how to add it to the menus. but, how do i add the information so that if i run from terminal, (from anywhere in terminal), typing azureus, it shud start....

legolas

praka123

left this forum longback
better go with ubuntu azureus,remove ur current local install completely.azureus can update locally to the current version when it is connected and stores the files in ~/.azureus .dont worry,remove the mess completely.apt does the job well
at the end,u'll get the latest version of azureus as updates are installed in ~/.azureus.so remove the local install completely and dont try to install softwares from source and from internet in Debian and Ubuntu.the package managers does the job well.for source compilations,there are distros like gentoo,LFS etc.
ur Distro(Debian based) got the best package management at present so enjoy!!!
;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom