Ubuntu 8 vs Mandriva 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Also stop eating my head by saying am a Mandriva fan :lol:

Lol! Chillax dude :)
Firstly, I dont think anybody called you Mandriva fan
Secondly, whats wrong in being a fan ;) I love Ubuntu and if you call me a Ubuntu fan, I am ok with it :)

praka123

left this forum longback
I am too lazy to find a Mandriva 2008 video in utube.anybody can help me? :D
show me esp the package management by urpmi and someother dingolappi? forgot the name ;)

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^If nobody else does, I will post a video of the same in a day (I am going to try Mandriva Spring once again on my system)

praka123

left this forum longback
do post with commentory on mandirva/suse package management system. :) it sure will be useful for many!

Pat

Beyond Smart
Honestly speaking, I hate the new opensuse release. It has crashed on me 7 times already in 2 days (I have not yet rebooted my lappy normally on opensuse, everytime it crashes and I have to hard-reboot)

Culprits:

1: KDE4 crashed my system 3 times
2: KInternet 2 times
3: OpenSUSE update manager 2 times

I am just back from an opensuse crash :mad:

do post with commentory on mandirva/suse package management system. :) it sure will be useful for many!

praka dude..here you go:

*rapidshare.com/files/124544589/mandriva-urpmi.ogg

I have made this video which uses urpmi to install wine and winedoors! Please note that this was run from live environment and not installed!

Initial impression:
Mandriva desktop looks very polished and ready-for-the-desktop

Will install it tomorrow probably and upload a video wherein I will update my system using urpmi!

Peace :)

Last edited:

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
@Pat : OMG your net connection rocks.. btw why don't you use Kick OFF menu. .Riight ClickMandriva Menu Icon Switch to Kick Of.. Also which util you have used to capture desktop.. Is it Istanbul ?

MetalHead = Sidux Fan ;)

OP
Sathish

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
Hi friends. thankx for quotes..

But i dont find any hard time while installing rpm package by Package Manager in Mandriva 2008. (just as Windows, i.e. - right click the rpm package, click install thr. package manager, and the installation is done")
All the popular software are released their software in rpm ext.
i have all popular software with latest updates in my Mandriva 2008.

I dont find any difficult to find and install rpm package in Mandriva 2008..

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
.... :-| one more new user. One more new thread. New user posts 3% of the posts... old members keep fighting over deb and rpm.... fortunately, there are no people trying to go and make the new user go in the Gentoo/BSD/Arch way.... (at least till now....)

^^ Now copy and paste it in all the recent and upcoming threads abut which distro.

Honestly speaking, I hate the new opensuse release. It has crashed on me 7 times already in 2 days (I have not yet rebooted my lappy normally on opensuse, everytime it crashes and I have to hard-reboot)

Culprits:

1: KDE4 crashed my system 3 times
2: KInternet 2 times
3: OpenSUSE update manager 2 times

I am just back from an opensuse crash :mad:

1). KDE crashes regardless of the operating system.
2). Same goes here, if you use KDE 4.0.x, it WILL crash.
3). Again, same.

I have been using it with gnome/XFCE on my laptop, and it has been 3 days without reboot. Had no problems whatsoever. Multimedia issues were there and 10.3 was better than 11.0 BUT, it is not as bad as you say it is.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
KDE is going through a difficult phase -transition from 3.x to 4.sure this is like beta software :p better stick with kde 3.5.x esp archlinux's kdemod. ;) once u tasted ,no looking back !

ray|raven

Think Zen.
This : *www.kde.org/announcements/4.0/
definetely doesnt sound like the announcement of beta software.

With the fourth major version, the KDE Community marks the beginning of the KDE 4 era.

Dude , they screwed up with KDE 4 , they released it when they had atleast a year's worth of work on it.

That aside , i still dont see the reason for the "Distro X vs Distro Y" threads here.

F

FilledVoid

Dude , they screwed up with KDE 4 , they released it when they had atleast a year's worth of work on it
That my friend is the actual truth :). But nonetheless I don't experience crashes like others mention here and I'm on a beta version.

Offtopic Im starting the next Gentoo vs crux thread soon be free to join. :D

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^ Now copy and paste it in all the recent and upcoming threads abut which distro.

1). KDE crashes regardless of the operating system.
2). Same goes here, if you use KDE 4.0.x, it WILL crash.
3). Again, same.

I have been using it with gnome/XFCE on my laptop, and it has been 3 days without reboot. Had no problems whatsoever. Multimedia issues were there and 10.3 was better than 11.0 BUT, it is not as bad as you say it is.

1. KDE 4.1 Beta does not crash on Ubuntu

For points 2 and 3 I had used KDE 3.x and not 4.x :)

@Pat : OMG your net connection rocks.. btw why don't you use Kick OFF menu. .Riight ClickMandriva Menu Icon Switch to Kick Of.. Also which util you have used to capture desktop.. Is it Istanbul ?

MetalHead = Sidux Fan ;)

[showoff] I am on a 16 Mbps connection[/showoff]
Thats one advantage when you live outside India ;)

And the video was recorded using 'qtrecordmydesktop' :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom