ubuntu 8 grub not installing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cluby

Broken In
I have tried to install ubuntu 7.1 & 8.04 but each time installation goes well and at the end grub install failed.I have the followind HDD partitions

Primary IDE 80GB ATA(no OS only data)

Primary SATA 250GB

sda1:WinXP SP2(primary 20GB)
sda2:Win Vista(primary 20GB)
sda3:trying to install Ubuntu(20GB)
sda4:data(100GB)
sda5:data(70GB)

By default ubuntu installs grub in hda0 so I tried to install in other partitions ie;sda1(boot partition) but it does not installs in that also.

Does ubuntu supports installation in SATA while IDE ATA present.
The discs are ok and they installs in my other computer wher only two ATA drives are present along with XP.
Please give a solution.

47shailesh

Security Exp
Ubuntu has no issues with SATA.
But still I m not clear about the different ways you have tried installing grub on hdd. Please elaborate more

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
m also facing probs.....installation hangs at some "daemon" issue....my lappy is amd64(vista) n i downloaded ubuntu for amd64....aany idea

Enjoy~!

praka123

left this forum longback
^there is no use in trying different distro for fixing a common problem!
@OP:firstly go to bios and make sure ur sata hdd is the default first booting harddisk.u can check this in boot device priority .

regarding grub,I think if ur installing in sata hdd,then obviously the grub needed to be installed on sata hdd( /dev/sda...).

Complete ur Ubuntu installation with a 7 GB "/" partition and a 500MB swap partition or less .finish the installation;if grub failed to install,boot with Ubuntu CD again,and go to rescue mode(if available) else boot to live environment.then
do as following:
mount ur harddisk (sata) installation of Ubuntu in /mnt dir:
Code:
sudo mount /dev/sdax  /mnt
^where "x" is the partition no.of ubuntu partition on sata hdd(u can find by "sudo fdisk -l" command)
then do the chroot formalities:
Code:
sudo mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
and:
Code:
sudo mount --bind /dev   /mnt/dev
now chroot:
Code:
sudo chroot /mnt /bin/bash
now ur inside Ubuntu harddisk installation.
now run:
Code:
grub
when u get "grub>" prompt,
Code:
grub>root (hd0,x)
where hd0 or hd1 all requires us to know ur "sudo fdisk -l" output.
Code:
setup (hd0)
thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom