Ubuntu 10.04 "Low Graphics Mode" problem after update

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Hey friends, after I updated my ubuntu and restarted I get new boot menu

*img684.imageshack.us/i/image0008x.jpg/

I went on with the first one as it is the updated version which I did recently. I faced "Low Graphics Mode" Problem. After that I thought there might be some problem with the new one but I face this problem with the existing one too.

Here is a screenshot of what I get after selecting the 1st or 3rd one.

*img208.imageshack.us/i/image0009s.jpg/

After pressing OK, I see this...

*img17.imageshack.us/i/image0010d.jpg/

Now after this screen no matter what I do I don't the GUI. I've tried all the options there.

The first and last option takes me to this screen *img576.imageshack.us/i/image0012p.jpg/ and keeps loading with no result.

Later from Windows I tried searching for the problem and get some solution in ubuntu forum...

Code:
starx

After running this command I saw initialization of GUI in KDE but after that blank screen. Nothing came atall.

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

After running this command it says how to use dpkg and to use the help.

But nothing worked.

After spending some time in google it seems that the problem is for NVIDIA Driver Update. Though I didn't found any solution and it seems like the solutions were for previous versions not for Lucid Lynx.

For reference I'm adding my configuation:
Intel Pentium D
Intel D945GCCR
1GB DDR2 Transcend RAM
WD 160GB HDD
XFX 9500GT 1GB DDR2
LG DVD Writer

I installed Ubuntu 10.04 from Live CD(GNOME). And was using it since few weeks. After many days I booted into Windows 7. Please help to get back my Ubuntu.

UPDATE

After posting this I just restarted and went to ubuntu to see if anything can be done

Now I get new error message in Low Graphics Mode error dialog box
*img175.imageshack.us/i/image0011g.jpg/

I tried the recovery mode too...and tried the "failsafe graphics mode". But it didn't worked.

Then I went to console and typed
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -a xserver.xorg
and get this...
*img26.imageshack.us/i/image0013dt.jpg/
*img526.imageshack.us/i/image0014e.jpg/

khmadhu

change is constant!!
try this...

first install this tools

apt-get install envyng-qt envyng-core

then type

envyng -t

u will get a textual interface to install nvidia or ati drivers..

to check whether driver installed or not use this command..

lshw -c video

if still u r facing problem.. then try these steps..

*help.ubuntu.com/community/Video

Last edited:

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived
I am unable to install any version of Linux using the bootable from Digit/Chip/other mags. Each of them hangs at the same spot... the screen when it asks how to install UBUNUTU.

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
@khmadhu Well...Thnx. But I re-installed it and updated it. And it's working now. :)

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

@hjpotter92 What's your system configuration?? Test your RAM's with memtest86+. You'll find it in Ubuntu Live CD. Seems like there is a problem with your RAM / Graphics.

I am unable to install any version of Linux using the bootable from Digit/Chip/other mags. Each of them hangs at the same spot... the screen when it asks how to install UBUNUTU.

Seems like you are having Kernel freeze. Try booting the LiveCD after selecting acpi=off. To do so, when ubuntu boots live, it asks you to select language, after selecting,language, press f6 before doing anything and select acpi=ff and then boot into live and see if ubuntu runs properly !

*img689.imageshack.us/img689/8841/linoob.th.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom