Two-Sided Touch Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
A pseudo-transparent screen from Microsoft and Mitsubishi lets people enter data from both sides of a handheld device.

*www.technologyreview.com/files/12614/lucidtouch_x220.jpg

Researchers at Microsoft and Mitsubishi are developing a new touch-screen system that lets people type text, click hyperlinks, and navigate maps from both the front and back of a portable device. A semitransparent image of the fingers touching the back of the device is superimposed on the front so that users can see what they're touching.

Multitouch screens, popularized by gadgets such as PDAs and Apple's iPhone, are proving to be more versatile input devices than keypads. But the more people touch their screens, says Patrick Baudisch, a Microsoft researcher involved in the LucidTouch project, the more content they cover up. "Touch has certain promise but certain problems," he says. "The smaller the touch screen gets, the bigger your fingers are in proportion ... Multitouch multiplies the promise and multiplies the problems. You can have a whole hand over your PDA screen, and that's a no go."

Full Article

Drizzling Blur

Devoted Metalhead \\m//
This is awesome, but i fail to understand what actually made them to do this, anyways, u could've entered the data from the front side of the screen itself, now u have to be so careful about its existence that u will probably put it in a no-gravity-zone so that there could be no harm/scratch/etc etc

Neverthless, looks neat.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
This is what is called "vapourware" in the technology world. Show me the real world product; I'm not interested in the lame promises (we all remember what Longhorn was supposed to be and what Vista turned out to be).

I know the flames are coming, but I'm right.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Is it just me who thinks operating on the screen from the behind is more strain on the fingers than on from the top?

Thinking of it, its a lot of work to reach the edges of the screen that way and it requires my wrist to be upwards and my fingers twisted at times.

Needs a re-design and is only suitable for small devices cause holding a fairly large device, say the size of a DVD-Jewel Box is gonna be painful in the operation. Did I mention my wrist's position would restrict my finger movements?

And what Arya probably meant by that is, 'They promised us two sided touchscreens and gave us just one' ;)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
thats nice and innovative :) technology is really making a lot of progress. but i can't think of any practical use for 2 sided screen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom