Not open for further replies.

kin.vachhani

Dreaming Future
here..... its just a question in mind
is it possible to install two operating system in same partition or drive
if yes how to do it.....

dead-man

Right off the assembly line
Yes, If done properly. But I suggest u not to do this.

U can do this by setting different folder for installation rather than WINDOWS, but windows2 or some thing like that.

Again it can be done for two windows but i don't know about other OS.

Also one windows & one other won't work.

ravimevcha

Journeyman
yes it is possible with Windows too..

i m running Win98 and Windows 2000 Professional in same drive..and i dont get any problem in it..

nach p

Journeyman
You can install 2 OS (windows) on one drive but becomes complicated and never recommended.
While installing 2nd OS just choose path of same drive where first OS is installed.
You cant install Windows and Linux on same drive

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
nach p wrote:
You cant install Windows and Linux on same drive

but linux formats drive while installing.so wont it format the windows installation?

OP
kin.vachhani

kin.vachhani

Dreaming Future
hey guys just give your answers in some what detailed manner of how to do it......i want to install it in single drive so give me detailed information... pls

Dumbledore

Journeyman
kin.vachhani said:
hey guys just give your answers in some what detailed manner of how to do it......i want to install it in single drive so give me detailed information... pls

in my humble opinions, i think that you just have to install them in different folders but install 98 in diff. folder such as win98 etc. because XP does not give option of choosing folder but gives option of choosing only drive. also u cannot install linux and windows on same partition because linux operates using a different filesystem than windows and there can be only one filesystem in a partition. so there u have it. get back if it succeeds

Dumbledore

Journeyman
kin.vachhani said:

in my humble opinions, i think that you just have to install them in different folders but install 98 in diff. folder such as win98 etc. because XP does not give option of choosing folder but gives option of choosing only drive. also u cannot install linux and windows on same partition because linux operates using a different filesystem than windows and there can be only one filesystem in a partition. so there u have it. get back if it succeeds

ramprasad

In the zone
no Dumbledore,

XP does ask for the name of the folder.
I have installed 98 in folder WINDOWS9 and XP in WINDOWSX.

Works perfectly...........

pratik_1216

May be it will help.

Hi Guys,

Though it is very much possible to install. But it is not really reccomended.
First of all although XP supports both FAT 32 as well as NTFS file systems but still it is ok if we install both XP and 98 using FAT 32.
That wil solve our purpose.
N ways but still since it is a requirement i will definitely try and help.
First i need to know how many paritions u have and what is your storage capacity.
Ok, If i concider your PC to have a standard configuration. Say 40 GB Hard Disk(HD) and 3 partitions.

Let the primary drive be C:
1) First go to Bios and change the booting option to "boot from CD".

2)Once it is done place the 98 CD first and Reboot.

3)The system then asks for the option of boot from CD or boot from HD.
Select "boot from CD".

4)type "fdisk" on DOS prompt. and format C: (There are easy instructions i hope u will manage to do that).

5)then start the 98 installation. Once the 98 is installed, place the XP CD and reboot. similarly Boot from CD and do not format or delete partition.
allow the set up to run and install the OS in the same Drive.
Try it out.
Well it was once required for me to install two XP OS in the same drive and it worked.
So, lets hope it works for different OS also.

Try your luck.
Regards,
Pratik.

OP
kin.vachhani

kin.vachhani

Dreaming Future
thanks guys but what if i want to do it for sp2 and sp1 in a single drive...
would that be possible like in 98...

and i dont understand how its possible to have linux and windows in a single drive....

linux have its own indexing and windows have its own like ntfs and fat32..

vinaypatel

Journeyman
kin.vachhani said:

bro u can do it
but consider priority of OS

vinaypatel

Journeyman
kin.vachhani said:

bro u can do it
but consider priority of OS

pratik_1216

hi...

Though it is very much possible to install. But it is not really reccomended.
First of all although XP supports both FAT 32 as well as NTFS file systems but still it is ok if we install both XP and 98 using FAT 32.
That wil solve our purpose.
N ways but still since it is a requirement i will definitely try and help.
First i need to know how many paritions u have and what is your storage capacity.
Ok, If i concider your PC to have a standard configuration. Say 40 GB Hard Disk(HD) and 3 partitions.

Let the primary drive be C:
1) First go to Bios and change the booting option to "boot from CD".

2)Once it is done place the 98 CD first and Reboot.

3)The system then asks for the option of boot from CD or boot from HD.
Select "boot from CD".

4)type "fdisk" on DOS prompt. and format C: (There are easy instructions i hope u will manage to do that).

5)then start the 98 installation. Once the 98 is installed, place the XP CD and reboot. similarly Boot from CD and do not format or delete partition.
allow the set up to run and install the OS in the same Drive.
Try it out.
Well it was once required for me to install two XP OS in the same drive and it worked.
So, lets hope it works for different OS also.

Try your luck.
Regards,
Pratik.

the same applies for SP1 or SP2 .
I mean if u wish to inastall it in the same drive...

Regards,
Pratik

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
i don't know why you want to do this. If u r interestd in running new os, then you may try vmplayer, which is free. google vmplayer and download

ujjwal

Padawan
and i dont understand how its possible to have linux and windows in a single drive....

linux have its own indexing and windows have its own like ntfs and fat32..

Linux can run on FAT32 as well, with certain limitations.

*www.slackware.com/zipslack/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom