Two laptops needed

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I need two laptops. One for myself and one for my mother.

For mom,

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
Rs. 30,000.

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
14" or 15.6" screen.

1366x768 resolution is fine.

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Word, Spreadsheets and a bit of MATLAB.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eyeing for ?
Discrete GPU is not at all required.

I have zeroed down on this: HP 15-af001AX (Notebook) (APU Quad Core A8/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8.1/ 2GB Graph)

I'll put the 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo I have in it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

For me,

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
No restriction.

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
14" or less.

Resolution MUST be more than 1366x768. 1366x768 is simply unacceptable.

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Should be able to run Source engine games. Programming in Python, MATLAB and some Linux development.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eyeing for ?
Discrete GPU is not at all required. 8 GB RAM is needed.

Again, I'll be getting rid of the hard drive and put a 500 GB SSD in there.

I have a feeling that I just might end up getting the 13" Macbook Pro.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
For your mom:
*m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=271989752037

For you: How about XPS 13?
Thanks. That one looks good.

Just wondering, do we have Windows 10 straight out-of-the-box laptops in the market now?

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
For your mom:
*m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=271989752037

For you: How about XPS 13?
+1, for this suggestion, brother [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION].
According to [MENTION=26711]ico[/MENTION] 's choice and wish,the resolution will satisfy him fully and take care of his needs.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
XPS 13 is good, but why is it XPS 13 as expensive as a Macbook Pro 13"?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Don't know. Stopped looking into Dell India's lineup months ago. Else you can buy Lenovo X1 Carbon which is lightweight and powerful.

sksundram

In the zone
<30K

I have this laptop: HP 15-g049AU Notebook (APU Quad Core A8/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8.1) (K5B45PA) Rs.26999 Price in India - Buy HP 15-g049AU Notebook (APU Quad Core A8/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8.1) (K5B45PA) Online - HP : Flipkart.com
and
these are the softwares installed:

*i.imgur.com/EmKhz6n.png
The laptop costed me INR 21K. It now retails at 27K on FK. There's no dedicated GPU but all of the above mentioned programs run fine. After Effects runs great though I have not played with RAW files on Photoshop, so can't say about that. The only con in this system is its display. It's not that sharp but I am not complaining considering the price. This laptop runs super-silent and that's not an exaggeration.

I am not suggesting you to buy it. I am just stating the fact that if this device can handle such programs with ease, other devices with dedicated graphics (the one suggested by SaiyanGoku) would definitely do better.

If you have the moolah to spare, just buy MBA or Pro. When it comes to programming, nothing beats Apple devices. The only Windows machine that comes close to offering it a competition is offered by Lenovo. Take a serious look at the ThinkPad series.

Last edited:

pinku1993

Lagger ~ ..
For your needs I would suggest you to go for Apple Macbook Pro... MF839HNA ... This will cost you around 80k. You can buy it online.. Just make sure it comes with a 10 day (for amazon) or 30 day (for eBay and flipkart) replacement. This much time is more than enough to verify whether the product is genuine or not.. Buying from a local premium reseller is like paying extra 15k for the same thing. KIDA retail on Amazon and roshniinfotech on eBay are safe for Apple products.

Top Bottom