[Tutorial] Configuring an Always On DataOne on gnu/Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
I see many asking help for configuring DataOne on their gnu/Linux machine. I've tired of posting the same answers again and again. Hence this Tutorial.

The router configuration is specific to Huawei SmartAX MT880 ADSL router.

System Configuration

Login as root.
Select System Settings > Network or system-config-network-gui on terminal.

You'll see your NIC listed there. Select it and click Edit.

*www.iup.in/out.php/t817_1.png

Check Activate device when computer starts and Allow all users to enable and disable this device.

Select "Statically set IP addresses"

Enter the following values
Code:
Address 		: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask	 	: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway address	: 192.168.1.1

*www.iup.in/out.php/t818_2.png

Press OK.

Press Activate.

open /etc/resolv.conf in your favourite text editor

Append the following lines.

Code:
nameserver 61.1.96.69
nameserver 61.1.96.71

*www.iup.in/out.php/t819_3.png

Router Configuration

Now start your Web Browser and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press enter.

PS: Enable JavaScript in your browser, if not.

It will ask for username and password. Use admin as username and password.

Click on WAN Settings under Home in the left pane.

If not set, enter the following values

Code:
PVC No: PVC-0
Wan Type: PPP
Connection Type: PPPoE
VPI/VCI: 0 / 35
Default Route : Enabled

PPP

Username: yourusername
Password: yourpassword
Use DNS: Enabled
Max Idle Time: Always On

*www.iup.in/out.php/t820_4.png

Click Apply
When asking for save and reboot, select No and Press OK.

Now click on DNS under Home on left pane.

Code:
DNS Status: Enabled
Primary DNS Address: 61.1.96.69
Secondary DNS Address: 61.1.96.71

Click Apply
When asking for save and reboot, select No and Press OK.

Now click on LAN Settings Under Advanced on left pane.

Code:
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Click Apply
When asking for save and reboot, select Yes and Press OK.

*www.iup.in/out.php/t821_5.png

The device will reboot now. It will take about a minute or more.

*www.iup.in/out.php/t822_6.png

Do not refresh or close the browser window while rebooting. It's better leave your computer alone while this operation.

After the device has been rebooted, refresh the page. Now scroll down and you should see the green light for LAN and WAN (PVC-0)Channels.

*www.iup.in/out.php/t823_7.png

Now click on Diagnostics under Status on left pane.

On Clicking Submit, it will do a series of tests. Important thing is that the result of first 3 under Modem Connection Test must be PASS. Don't care others.

*www.iup.in/out.php/t824_8.png

Now, you're done. Your machine will be connected to the internet from next reboot onwards and will be always on. If you still prefer manual connect/disconnect, uncheck the Activate device when computer starts option from network configuration window. you can use the following commands

for connecting - ifup eth0
for disconnecting - ifdown eth0

provided the device name of your NIC is eth0.

You can create launchers on Desktop/Panel for the same.

Reboot your machine and Enjoy!!! [Don't forget Data caps]

kaliaraj

Broken In
Please tell how to install the modem connected via USB port(don't have a NIC card) .Also help in installing modem drivers supplied with the accompanying cd on fedora 3............

OP
desertwind

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Try either of these commands (being root may be necessary)

grep -i cdc /usr/src/linux/.config

or

grep -i cdc /boot/config

should give

CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER=#

where # should be m or y. If it is n, a recompilation of the kernel
might be necessary.

If you get CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER=m, try using the 'modprobe cdcether'
command as root and see if the modem is detected.

Source

Satissh S

Youngling
Wonderful Tutorial there Riyaz. I think I was the first person to ask you how to configure dataone in linux!! ;)

kaliaraj

Broken In
WEll i tried grep command it gives config_usb_cdcether=y
Please tell me how to install modem right from beginning as it is not listed in network configuration window(don't have a NIC card too).I tried to make a new xDSL connection using internet configuration wizard but there modem is listed as cdc-usb eth0.But when i try to activate the connection it gives an error saying unable to activate.Seems that it does not detect the modem.However modem is listed in hardware browser. Please help in setting up the connection and recommend steps right from begining.

praka123

left this forum longback
well.first you have to make sure your network is up
Code:
root@sputnik:~# ifconfig
if it lists lo and eth card then proceed with the setup for pppoe.read steps here or many other tutorials available..there are howtos like This detailing setup of custom USB modems..also "ifconfig" command should show the interface ppp0 or someother if you are connected.Also google is your friend...Best of LUX
heres my ifconfig:
Code:
root@sputnik:~# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 68686868686
          inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::211:11ff:fe66:b65e/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:2211 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:2255 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1914061 (1.8 MiB)  TX bytes:276398 (269.9 KiB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:8444 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:8444 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:626530 (611.8 KiB)  TX bytes:626530 (611.8 KiB)

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          etcetctetc..

kaliaraj

Broken In
Please buddies help in configuring the modem tried everything .Does anyone in this forum uses usb connected bsnl modem in linux???????????????????damn i'm frustrated please help..................if you've got NIC card than also please try to connect without it through usb port in fedora 3.................................................................please please please

OP
desertwind

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
@kaliaraj: as said by you you can see the modem in xDSL configuration wizard. So do configure it. After that follow my instructions in the first post. instead of selecting nic, select your xDSL connection and edit settings accordingly.

NB: i haven't worked on bsnl usb modem yet. if you have a choice, swap this one with a ethernet one, which you can configure without any hassles.

kaliaraj

Broken In
I've tried setting up the connection as you have explained entering dns addresses ........... but when i try to activate the connection it seems that computer can't communicate with the modem ....there is no response and after some time it gives error message ...i think i need to install drivers for the modem ....huawei site also does not explain anything.Anyway thanks Mr Wind for your time ......just keep in mind and whenever you come across someone using usb modem on linux (dataone) please remember to contact..................................thanks

kaliaraj

Broken In
I've tried setting up the connection as you have explained entering dns addresses ........... but when i try to activate the connection it seems that computer can't communicate with the modem ....there is no response and after some time it gives error message ...i think i need to install drivers for the modem ....huawei site also does not explain anything.Anyway thanks Mr Wind for your time ......just keep in mind and whenever you come across someone using usb modem on linux (dataone) please remember to contact..................................thanks

praka123

left this forum longback
getting an NIC card is the easiest soltn.but there are firmware/patches available for specific USB models.....between whats ur modem,model..post it here.

sunil.p

Right off the assembly line
I have p3 system with a LAN card
i have cable net connection
i 'm able to use it in win XP but not in LINUX
which is my second OS
can any one tell me how do i connect to internet in LINUX
the LINUX is RED HAT LINUX 9.0

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
users of fedora core/rhl can invoke the command "adsl-setup". just get all the info desertwind has mentioned. its a console based wizard. you don't hafta edit any file manually. its a step by step procedure. after configuring, invoke the command "adsl-start" to connect and "adsl-stop" to disconnect. this is not an always on connection..more like a dial up thing. but works widout any hassels. never used suse/mandriva. may work on them. not sure tho.

adi87

Journeyman
DATAONE cant open go online.............

I configured DATAONE as told in tutorial by desertwind, but i m not able to connect. i.e the when i open the broswer or do a thing requiring to connect to the internet... it just doesnt happen. i am using SuSE 10.0.All the diagnostic teset and everythng mentioned by desertwind w done...hv i missed something??
Please Help

OP
desertwind

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Please post on the sticky thread. dont create seperate threads for these.

OK, for your problem, Open the Router Admin page in your browser (192.168.1.1, user/pass - admin/admin)

On the summary page, scroll down to WAN Channel.
Check whether any valid IP ( not 0.0.0.0) present for PVC0. Also check the status for the same. It should be gree. Check status for LAN channel too.

adi87

Journeyman
i dint post there coz the last msg was very much old...and i didnt expect anyone o reply there so...............
Yes, i chkd wht u told above...but still the same prob. :(
Anythng else can i do?................
Are u alos using SuSe 10.0 and DATAONE????

OP
desertwind

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
So, are you getting a proper ip for WAN channel ? (probably starting with 59.*.*.*) And are the status green for both LAN and WAN ?

Call up terminal and do a ping to any website, like

$ ping www.google.com, and post output here.

I'm Using FC4. And I've configured DataOne successfully on OpenSUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom